Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 06:48:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote mounted gen radiator ###pics added  (Read 4617 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »

I don't think a fan is switch is needed.  If the gen is run then the fan is needed so hard wire the fan or leave it plugged in.   Simple.

If you forget to turn on the fan or if it fails then the gen safety over-temp will cover you.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

The power cord for shore power is right next to the outlet used for running the fan.  The only time I would have to unplug the fan is when I was plugged into shore power.  Otherwise it would stay plugged in.  It would be a matter of rolling up the big wire from the post and setting it down, then reaching over and plugging in the radiator fan.  I don't want it running the whole time I am parked plugged into shore power.

John does have a point, you won't forget long as the gen would shut off in all of about 4 minutes.  I couldn't get air pressure in that time frame.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »

On the other hand, you could hardwire the fan to the gen and include a cutoff switch.  That way, if you were visiting Antarctica, or someplace like that, you could turn the fan off.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »

If you want to run a couple of AC units and that 30 amp pole is really giving you 21 you will need the genny at noon in the summer sun.  I think you should wire it to allow pole power for everything else and the genny for AC.  I wouldn't bother with the cut-out switch...run the genny and run the fan.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »

I wouldn't know how to do that.  There are two electrical boxes, one is the breaker box and the other has a bunch of wires and what appears to be three big switches in the top of the box.  When I kill the gen and plug in it just switches over to shore power and I don't have to do anything.  I opened that box with the switches yesterday and promptly closed it.  No more projects until after mid September and my dog training shuts down.

www.snakebreaker.com
blank

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »

If the fan is powered directly off the Gen, before the electrical panel/transfer switch, I wouldnt think the fan would run once the Gen shut down.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:29 AM »

There again I would not know how to hook it up prior too breaker box.  I will have to wait until one of you electrical guys see what I have and point it out.  In this picture the blue plastic conduit carries directly from the gen to the switch box.  Oh and BTW the orange cord is no longer sitting on the exhaust pipe.  Everything is wire tied away from it.  I would like to get some heat wrap and wrapping it just in case.

www.snakebreaker.com
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »

I would guess that the cable from the generator goes to a switch in that box that connects it to the panel.  If so, you can tap into the generator at either side of the switch--after, if you want the fan to go off when you interrupt the current to the panel (even though the generator is running, or before, if you want the fan to run whenever the generator is on.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »

WAL,

Waiting is the smart move.  Really wish I could be there to help.  At least we have determined that your blower motor is 120 VAC and a two speed.  That's a little progress, anyway.  You can still run by connecting an extension cord as we discussed.  Connect to black and red oR black and blue and then select the highest speed.

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: