Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 03:30:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oil temp at 250  (Read 3066 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »

I made the climb from Artesia NM to Cloudcroft today and my oil temp on the 6v92 climbed to 250 through most of the climb.  That seems really high to me.  Water temp never went above 195.  I kept the rpms up high as best I could usually in the 1600~1900 range.  My tranny temp never went above 180.  I'm not sure how the coolant is divided between the oil and tranny cooler, but the tranny never goes up except during hard retarder usage, which of course the oil temp falls because of no load on the engine.

The oil temp on a flat at 70 mph is generally about 220.  My temp probe is in the bottom of the pan.

Should I be concerned or is this normal?

David
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:15 PM »

I would think it normal for your oil temp to rise under a heavy long pull, how much I can't say though. Someone else will chime in I am sure. If the oil temp is higher than it should be first thing to look at would be the oil level. Low oil level will make it go up.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:45 PM »

David, we made a climb approx. 6 miles varying from 3 to 6% grade with the toad as usual and although the coolant temp never climbed and the trans temp went up maybe 15* or so, the oil temp climbed substantially. However, it settled right back down once we crested the hill. I don't remember how high it went to, but it concerned me enough at the time to keep a very close eye on it. HTH Will
Also, the oil level was right on the full mark during the entire trip and the oil has less than 2500 miles on it.

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

You need to find out what temperature your brand and weight of oil starts to break down at. From the dim recesses of my mind i think i recall reading something long ago that most oil is ok up to something like 350-400 degrees. Huh  Anybody else have better knowledge about this?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »

Just thought of a guy on another forum that i go to that should know the answer, he is a retired oil engineer. He is on the east coast but i saw he was still up and online so maybe i will have an answer in a few minutes if he sees my post. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:38:27 AM »

They make and sell a lot of "engine oil coolers" that mount in front of the rad like the trans cooler and AC condenser.  The problem is that engine oil needs to get up to the engine op temp to evap the water.  The aux oil coolers are usually installed using a modified bolt on base for the oil filter.  The full flow oil gets routed to the cooler through flex hoses.  My oil in my Dodge 440 gets up to 250+ on a hard pull and it doesn't cool down all that fast either.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »

Take the oil temp gauge off and throw it out, LOL. I don't know the exact degree of heat that oil will break down at, but I would not worry about 250F.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Bill in KS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »

I'd consider pulling an oil analysis for a few bucks and see how the oil is standing up to your driving style.  You might consider switching to an oil that has a high flash point and good additive package for those times with you are really " working it "

Bill in KS 

PD4104-4797 in SE Kansas
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »

It is not a good idea to heat oil for a long period over the flash point which most 40w is around 270*

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 10:30:19 AM »

My Chevron dealer said the flash point is just under 500 degrees F.  He also said that 210 or 220 was permissible on a sustained hard pull but he would expect it to be below 210.  240 F, he said, was MAX and if I saw 270 and that was verified I should be looking for some serious failure.....low oil, oil to water heat exchanger plugged....something.  He also said that the permissible engine oil temp was a spec promulgated by the Mfr......DD... and that oil was formulated to meet that spec.  Dunno.  The correct answer seems to be to stay below 220F.

Any body out there have a DD engine manual?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »

Yea 475* F is right for Delo 100 40W my jug has 256 C what you get when buy Delo in Mexico lol really doesn't mean that much anyway when the oil gets over 300 degrees in a 2 stroke it will use so much the fresh oil you are dumping in to it will keep it cool lol they don't like hot oil or hot fuel.
To answer your question David the oil temp should not go above 240* a DDEC 92 series will shutdown at 239 degrees F if the temperature stays there for over 30 seconds I think the 60 series will also shutdown at 239 degrees

good luck
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:11:57 AM by luvrbus » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »

Yea 475* F is right for Delo 100 40W my jug has 256 C what you get when buy Delo in Mexico lol really doesn't mean that much anyway when the oil gets over 300 degrees in a 2 stroke it will use so much the fresh oil you are dumping in to it will keep it cool lol they don't like hot oil or hot fuel.
To answer your question David the oil temp should not go above 240* a DDEC 92 series will shutdown at 239 degrees F if the temperature stays there for over 30 seconds I think the 60 series will also shutdown at 239 degrees

good luck

Now that's what I call an answer.

—Pla
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »

I thought that the engine shut off system is connected to the coolant temperature. Doesn't the oil run hotter than the coolant? So if the coolant is at say 200F, the oil could be at 250F or more?

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »

For example: Petro-Canada's Dieseltonic (that is their CF2, 40W for 2 stroke Detroits) has a Flash Point of 251C, 484F, and a Auto Ignition temp of 283C, 547F. I cannot find in their litterature what 250F or more would do to the quality of that oil. But I thought, maybe wrongly, that engine oil often runs hotter than the coolant?

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »

JC the safe operating range of the oil temperature on a 92 series is 215* to 230* that is degrees only one place in the DD bible you find that section 4.2 page 3 under the Thermatic oil filter not saying it doesn't get hotter just DD wants it between 215* and 230* and the 92 series DDEC 111 and above have a high oil temperature shut down 239*

good luck

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: