Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 08:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oil temp at 250  (Read 3054 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »

JC,

Only from watching my gauges I can say that you are correct.  My engine oil on any engine I have ever had gauges on runs hotter than the water except in the winter.  In the winter it takes maybe a half hour to come up to the coolant temp.  During that time the oil is accumulating water.  If I never came up to temp I would have sludge for oil in a short time.  Given your location up north in Canada I would think this is a familiar topic to you.  In Pa I changed my oil monthly in the winter cause I could never get the engine hot on short shopping trips and such.  But hotter is relative.  The point my Chevron dealer made was that sustained 240F was too high and hitting 270, even for a short time, was detrimental.  He thought 210 or 220 for sustained operation was ideal cause the additives would not be depleted at an accelerated rate and the water contaminant would be quickly dissipated.   I didn't check this guys credential over the phone but he seemed credible.  Now if DDEC shuts down the engine at 270, as Clifford says, and the engine Mfr sets that sort of limit, according to the oil rep, then 270 is the danger point regardless of the engine make as far as I am concerned and if my "norm" is above 220 I should be looking for a "fix".

But, you are right.

John  

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »

239* JohnEd

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »

239....that what I said.  Go back and read it again.....  see? LOL LOL LOL

Uh....UMMM....I was just trying to see if you were paying attention.

Did you locate any of those fans I was asking about?  Now that I know you are up and kick'n.  LOL

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »

JohnEd you are welcome to fans if you come to Quartzsite I will deliver but packing and shipping not going to happen lol

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »

Clifford,

Thanks.  Quartz it is then.  I'll have my GPS to locate you.  I should have plenty of room after I drop off the insulation for Val.  If you have 4 I can use them....any size.

John

—Pla
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »

We left Cloudcroft and are now in Durango.  I noticed that even on the 16 mile decent from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo with the engine coasting the  temperature never drops below 210.  Seems like it would assume the 170~180 temp of the coolant water.  Under a moderate load the temp stays around 220~230 all the time.  In climbs it goes to 240.  Hard climbs in low gears 250+.  I'm not sure what's wrong if anything,  but I watch it closely and of course worry.  Does it matter that my temp probe is in the oil pan?  Should it be in a different place?

David
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »

On a double oil cooler on the DD the transmission will heat the oil what temps are you getting on the transmission ? short periods of high oil temp won't hurt you David same with transmissions even on a DDEC they need to have a high temp reading for a few minutes before they do their thing

good luck

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »

David, I personally would be looking at voltage drop between your engine and the dash. Somethin' ain't kosher in New Mexico if your water temp is 195°, and the engine oil is still reading those high temps, especially if the auto transmission is reading lower than the engine oil temp.

Do yourself a favor..... add a couple of mechanical oil temp gauges and bring them up trough a hole in the rear of the bus to a convenient place in whatever setup you have back there.

A long time ago I was worried because after about 2 hours of driving, uphill, downhill, on the flats or in the city, my coolant temp would climb to 240° and stay there... even after shutting the bus down for a couple of hours. When I started the engine back up, after 15 minutes, it was right back at 240°.
Fast Fred finally gave me a hint..... the voltage regulator was set wrong. After running for a period of time, the VR would go up to about 14.8v @ 160a. The sender was meant to be accurate at 13.8 or less and the extra voltage would cause all manor of havoc in the system.

Good luck with your problem I hope I've helped just a little bit.

PS: If your oil temp is really that high, find a stopping place while the temp is high, shut down the engine without a cool down, grab the wife's candy thermometer and hold it against the oil pan with a pot holder for a few minutes. That will tell you if the oil temp is really what the gauge says, even though it will lose a few degrees by the time you get back there.

DF

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »

That could be it Dallas he is having a over charging problem forgot all about that he posted that on our Eagles board a couple of days ago

good luck
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:40:23 AM by luvrbus » Logged

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »

PS: If your oil temp is really that high, find a stopping place while the temp is high, shut down the engine without a cool down, grab the wife's candy thermometer and hold it against the oil pan with a pot holder for a few minutes. That will tell you if the oil temp is really what the gauge says, even though it will lose a few degrees by the time you get back there.

DF

Or a half second shot with the infra red thermometer that every busnut should have would do just fine.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »

I checked with an IR gun in San Antonio NM.  it was 205 and the dash gauge was 210.  
My voltage on the Albuquerque to Durango leg was normal 13.5 which is right in the middle of the range on the gauge.  What puzzles me is that my normal operating oil temp is always about 230.  Seems it should be in the 210 range, but I don't know what is normal other than book specs 200~240.  

We will climb Wolf Creek Pass later on in the week.  I'll check with the IR gun on the pan, and oil cooler when we get to the top.   That will give me some more references to discuss.

Below was my view out my window for 3 weeks while in Cloudcroft.  Nice.  72 highs, 48 lows.  Beats the heck out of south Texas right now.

David
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:40:17 PM by David Anderson » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 02:36:50 PM »

David, depending on the turbo housing and injectors 200-250 is ok for a 6v92 and the reading at the oil pan will be higher than at the galley were the DDEC reads by as much as 15 degrees fwiw

good luck

David Anderson

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »

When I stopped at the top of Wolf Creek Pass, I checked temps with the IR gun.
Oil cooler water jacket was 170.  Oil pan was 255.  The dash temp showed 250 when I stopped at the top.  My water temp on the dash gauge was 195 street side bank, 190 curb side bank. 

Clifford, it seems my problem may be perceived in my mind, and I probably don't have a problem at all, I hope.

David
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »

I think you are right and I am happy for ya. Grin

John

—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 05:29:36 AM »

I am jealous!  We spent a week every year 30 miles north of Pagosa Springs, Co.   We would fly fish the streams up there.  The weather is so nice this time of year.  Anyway, how was did the bus do on the climbs?  I have a 6v92 as well and I am certainly going to have to learn how to climb them before too long.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: