Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 09:34:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos of a Full-timing Newbie  (Read 4207 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »

i don't see any pictures. Did I miss a link somewhere?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 12:24:03 AM »

Where did you buy the electric input plug that mounts to the side?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:23:35 AM »

They somehow imbedded a slide show right in their post - no link, just watch the post and the pictures appear...

The plug  looks like a standard Marinco shore power plug, available at any marina or boat supply place.  I have a 30 amp version on my bus.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Jackling54

1954' crown supercoach

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »

I thought i was alone on here...( early thirty's) lol great job ,cant wait to catch up .Were into ours 7 months and  hoping to pick it up from the wiring guy tonight. then of to paint.. yaaa .

"I'd rather people hate me for who I am than love me for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »

Brian: Before we applied the double sided eternabond, we sanded and wiped down the edges with wax and tar remover (auto prep). Then we removed the plastic protective tape off one side, stuck it real good to the coach, then removed the protective tape from the other side and slid our aluminum up under the roof lip and squished it onto the tape. Then drilled holes and riveted. Have not had a single problem with it lifting or not sticking. The only problem I really have with it is that is sticks to everything permanently...including my drill bits. It's a pain. But we've gone through a year of intense rain, tornadically intense storms, a very snowy and very cold winter in Michigan, and haven't leaked a drop...anywhere. I kept a close eye on everything when it was still stripped inside and not wooded so I could check for leaks. None....nada. What temps did you apply yours in? Ours were mid-summer 90's.

Eric: We have two emergency exits on the roof we'll never close off. My wife and I have both gone in and out many times. Saves sticking a ladder against the coach. Truth be told, if it rolls onto it's roof, we're toast.  Shocked

Bob:I'll do just that...we definitely want the flash mirror coating, so I'll see what they offer.

Jason:I love your coach. Saw some photos of it on COTM. I'd love to see it in person someday!

Ralph7:It's actually amazing to us. We have had the coach in 100 degree weather this summer in Michigan (crazy heat wave) and we had the 13,500 BTU unit (only 1 sitting up front) and it was keeping things very comfy in there. We have a thermometer in the bedroom, and it read 75 even during the hottest part of the day. It nearly ran non-stop though. Adding a second unit will be more than adequate. We still need to coat the roof in kool seal or something like that which will help even more. Reflectix is very good stuff.

Ed:When you put it that way, it makes our friends sound downright clueless Smiley Truth be told, we have no debt, coach is paid for, and we're trying to do it all the Dave Ramsey way (but I think we'll hang onto our credit cards...just pay off the balance every month like your supposed to). Cash is king for the most part. But, yes, we're really really loving this so far. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Glen:Thanks for the luck! We'll need it!

Thomasinnv:Just stare at my original post for a while. The little box below the text will show a slideshow...boring, unless you're a busnut.

ThomasF (Desi):Brian is right, that's a Marinco Twist-Lock 50 amp plug and Reliant outlet. A posted a photo below this text so you can see the config of the outlet on the side of the coach. I bought the Reliant outlet at a local electrical supply store (Kendall Electric). Around $75 for the outlet.

Jackling54:Thanks for the kudos! Good luck on yours. We had our wiring done by an electrician too. I hate the thought of burning to death in a big 40 foot coffin I made with my own hands *shiver*.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »

I stared at it for a while, still didn't work for me. go figure.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

I stared at it for a while, still didn't work for me. go figure.

Maybe your not looking with the correct eye! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »

And in 25 or 30 years all of your friends will be wanting to buy an rv and go fulltiming. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »

Great job guys!!!!!! I'm envious!!!
If you are ever heading south via Hoosierland, I'm just off I-74. Give a shout or stop by. I'd love to see your "baby".  Grin
Congrats on the work and perseverance!!! Doing it "your way" is the right way.
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »

ThomasInnv:Here's a link to a slideshow. Tell me if that works. https://picasaweb.google.com/freshdaymusic/CoachLife?authkey=Gv1sRgCKnktfy1lcbVHA#slideshow/5636628378794758258

bustedknuckle:I poked around your website...but the "why us?" slideshow page is missing some images. I love the bus fleet...What are Setra's like?

Ed:Seriously, you're right...that's the crazy thing. So will we want kids, a good job, a house and new cars in 30 years?  Wink Are we just swapped?

Chaz:Thanks a bunch for the encouragement! It goes a long way with us! Checked out your photos too on Photobucket...I think your coach has more curves than I'd ever want to sand! Looks great with the primer, any pics of your final topcoat?

Scott & Heather
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »

No problem Scott. It was all seriously meant. You two are busting it out and it's cool to see!!
No paint yet. I'm learning to love primer grey. Roll Eyes   Grin  But one day I will make her shiny. As with my hot rods, "shiny paint ain't the vehicle", but it sure can be perty!  Cheesy ( I'm dreading those rivets.!!!! :'( :'( :'()
If your are playing on the computer some time, jump over to my website (www.amstudio.us) and check out my "roots". (that be house without wheels  Wink) It's the HGTV link.
Good luck and stay with it!! Roots and kids can happen later!
Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »

Chaz: Wow!  Shocked Crazy awesome house and metal art! Had no idea a member of the club was famous! Amazing! Love the pond especially! I'm an Arizona boy, so the adobe look attracts me! That being said, I have a comparatively lame question...where'd you get the simulators for your coach? Phoenix?

Scott & Heather
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »

I thought i was alone on here...( early thirty's) lol great job ,cant wait to catch up .Were into ours 7 months and  hoping to pick it up from the wiring guy tonight. then of to paint.. yaaa .

My wife and I are still in our 20s. For a little bit anyways lol  Grin
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »

My wife and I are still in our 20s. For a little bit anyways lol  Grin

Really!? Great! Any kids yet?

Scott & Heather
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »

I got the simulators on line somewhere. (??) Maybe ebay?
I too like the So.West architecture. If I didn't live here, I would live in Sedona (or there abouts). It fits me. (long haired artist, mountain biker, etc.  Roll Eyes Grin Grin)  I looked into camping there for 3 months out of the year at a place called........ uh....... hmmmm...(old age again).... Mesa Verde campground maybe?? I think it was like 350.oo a month full hookup or something like that. Didn't seem bad.
Glad you liked the house. I give tours all the time.
Later,
  Chaz

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: