Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 07:03:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which compartment is preferable for generator install?  (Read 1463 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:05:50 PM »

Dear friends:

The front bagage compartment has the expanded mesh on it already and a lot of room for this, plus a huge hole in the floor. This is where the OTR A/C unit was. Maybe I would add some 12-volt car radiator fans to cool this better?

The rear compartment is where the OTR A/C compressor used to exist. It is also shared by the 6V92TA's radiator. Maybe the air sucked through the radiator would help cool the genny better? Maybe this option would add unwanted heat to the engine's radiator?

Either option would surely require sound/heat/fire-proofing the compartment.

What do you guys and gals think would be the better option?

Thanks in advance and be blessed!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:14:20 PM by Mex-Busnut » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »

unless you get a generator that's designed to be permanently installed in an RV, you really should not run the generator in the compartment.  You should carry it there and put it on the ground beside you when you run it.  Even my Yamaha 3000 watt inverter generator, which is quiet as the dickens and very low vibration, gets slid out when i run it for more than 10 minutes or so.  I carry mine in the front AC compartment, the one with the mesh and the big hole in the floor.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »

All things considered, I would prefer the generator up front in case you need to run it while sleeping.  Keep the sound and vibration as far away from the bedroom as possible.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »

I would hope the basis for the consideration of placement starts with the recognition that it has to be placed so that it does not cause any axle to exceed its limits.

There are some converters that locate the generator and house batteries in the front, or near the front and the end result is the steer axle is greatly in excess of its rating.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »

Unfortunately, you are right.  I contend that if an 800 pound generator is going to overload the front axle, then you were in deep trouble before you even started.

I first got interested in buses back in the eighties because all the factory motor homes were over loaded before they left the plant.

Now it seems that all the granite and gold bus conversions are the same way.  I was looking at an RV buying guide a few years ago and the 45' Blue Bird actually had less carrying capacity than a 25' Winnie.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »

time out : history ck here:::: Steve is on budget. trying to do safe  with what is available to him in Mexico. Select best ventelated compartment. First question to Steve is what gen set did you end up with??  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »

I agree with Bob on this!
But I'd probably lean toward the front compartment (orig. OTR A/C compartment) for the ease of ventilation.

Once installed I'd do like Cody did and hang a cheap box fan on the mesh door blowing out that is plugged directly into the generator and runs anytime the genny does. Blowing fumes and some heat out of the compartment.

Steve need mo info on the type of genny before we can help muchon the radiator/fans.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:54 AM »

Ahoy, All,

I agree that the front is the best place for the generator,keeping an eye on frot axle loads.  Put the batteries as far back as possible .

My genset is in the right rear corner, and is about as quiet as any that will see, and even so, it is too noisy.

Enjoy   /s/   bob
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »

when buses were originally designed 250#per person was the figure used for each passanger for person and luggage. food for thought.  the ultimate end you should weight your bus and adjust axle weight on scale. Unless we get real outrageous we should not exceed the weight of a fully loaded bus. since we remove the seats and luggage racks also. A 750# gen set only = 3 people and luggage.   Bob  PS  average of small and large
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:14:06 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »

I have always been told that the front bay and the rear bay will carry more weight than the middle bay on all buses true or false ? anybody know for sure,Greyhound and Trailways the rear bay was for heavy freight I have noticed that years back and was told the same by x drivers

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »

I say if you have the holes cut up front then to do it there.  I do not believe the 12 volt radiator fans will do you a bit of good so far as exhausting the heated air from the bay.  If it is sitting still then it will but so far as driving, not a chance.  Trust me I just went through this with the remote generator radiator.  The vortex created by the bus as it moves down the road is of much greater force than I had anticipated.  When sitting still the gen was fine, when moving I doubt there was any air whatsoever moving through the radiator.  When moving, my generator over heated so fast the guage could not read the climbing temp that fast.

If you are concerned about exhausting hot air and you on a budget, you can find a good used squirrel cage blower at any a/c place.  I just bought mine for $25.  Grainger had a comparible one for $250.  That thing is jammin the air through that radiator.  My radiator has never run under 195.  Now it struggles to get above 172 in 102 degree nasty nasty humid weather.

If you are going to use the 12 volt fan and your ever coming through Houston hollar at me I have a brand new one.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks.

Grin  Wink

1. The front compartment is my choice, which used to house the huge main OTR A/C unit, which weighs FAR more (maybe 350 pounds) than my generator. (Genny weighs 211 pounds dry, or 96 kilograms.) This compartment is already walled off from the others, from factory, in sheetmetal, which I plan to cover with plywood and then fiberglass insulation.

2. The Honda EB6500 was the only genny I could find within budget and wattage that had electric start, as well as legal paperwork, so that is what I have for now. I am planning on installing an automotive-type exhaust/muffler system and taking the exhaut all the way to the back, if needs be. I really want to be able to start it from inside when needed.

3. I only have 2 baggage compartments on each side.

4. The second-hand tool shop where I bought the genny gave me a 3,000 watt Powerwattz inverter in the deal, and threw in a free roof-top RV AC unit which works great, but is missing its protective cover. I am considering running the Whirlpool fridge (8 foot capacity, 6 amps) off this inverter, and leave the genny mostly for A/C use.

5. Probably put in the house batteries in the rear compartment (just to the right of the rear axle), where the OTR A/C compressor used to live.

6. I am considering maybe a fuel tank off a car so I can get at least 24 hours off the gasoline.

So keep those great ideas coming! You all make me evaluate each step and option, and I appreciate that!

Be blessed!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »

Don't worry about running the exhaust to the rear, think about a removable or permanent rooftop system instead.  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/gen-turi-generator-exhaust-system/14041  Easy to duplicate, gets the fumes and some of the noise up high where it bothers no one, exactly what you need.  for running down the road, a side exhaust is fine.

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

I don't understand folks and the gen noise.  I like it and sleep like a baby near a generator.  Probably comes from childhood and all the gens we used on the Salt Grass Trail ride, Hunting and boats that ran generators for lights.  It puts me and keeps me asleep.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »

Steve, better check with Honda I don't think you can use a exhaust pipe of any length on a GX series engine

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: