Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 11:23:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is What a Ruined 8V71TA Looks Like...........  (Read 9188 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« on: August 04, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »

From a faulty air cleaner.

I'll let Clifford explain. And no, it's not mine! Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:39:05 AM »

Dusted!  Mine looked similar inside the air box, not nearly as bad.  Mine had oil bath air cleaners, completely dry, for probably 30,000 miles.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »

That my friends is what you get with the lifetime 20% more air flow washable filters it was serviced 2 times in 26,000 miles a 200 dollar filter to save 140 bucks for the price of a ECO system once a year,  cost him a engine he paid 17,000 out of frame to have rebuilt now it is back to square one sad.
Moral of the story don't cut corners when it come to the air filtration on a engine it will cost you big bucks
Thanks for posting Paul when the topic comes up again they can look at the photos as they say a picture is wroth a 1000 words

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »

Just curious, what were the indications from the engine before tear down at this point of failure? high oil consumption? lots of smoke? low compression? the damage is obvious in the pics, just wondering what the performance was like at this stage in the game.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »

Low compression, plenty of smoke and miss firing at idle

good luck

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »

You mean we're supposed to have and air filter too?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »

I've never seen the inside of an 8V71.  Out of curiosity, what should the inside look like?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59:42 AM »

The cylinder sleeves are the bits with the oval holes in them.  They should be a finely machined, smooth, shiny cast iron surface, like the face of a cylinder head.  What you see is grit and dust emulsified in oil, fuel, water from condensation, into a fine gritty paste and built up on all surfaces.  The bottom of the air box is rough cast iron, it should simply look clean and shiny/wet.  the plug with the two holes in it has some of the grit wiped off with someones finger.  It should be clean and look like machined steel.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

If you have one of those foam filters that are washable and need oiled.......throw that away.  I used those things for many years on desert bikes and they were unsurpassed at stopping sand and dust and talcum.  I am without a clue as to why the current crop of those filters is worthless....BUT THEY ARE.  My recent experience is most horrible but I haven't lost an engine.  I am spent on talking about this and wish none further.  LOOK AT THE PICS!

Thank you Paul and Clifford,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »

I used to have a K & N filter on one of my cars but got rid of it.  Independent tests I had read confirmed that they did allow better air flow than other filters.  However, they allowed better dirt flow too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »

Lin, I found this funny today at Auto/Zone I was buying a air filter for the pickup and this young man did his sell pitch telling me a K&N would last me a life time even dirty he told me they would flow more air than a clean paper filter.
I just looked at him smiled and said I wonder why he just stood there with the I don't know look,15 bucks for a little kerosene in a bottle with some colored oil make no sense to me my filter cost 9 bucks lol

good luck

blank

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »

Just curious what the Bus guys think of the original oil bath type air filters. My understanding is they work very well if maintained properly.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »

According to DD the paper filter are better than a oil bath,guess it depends on what you like but me I trash the oil bath and tell other to do the same JMW they don't do that great of a job 

good luck

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »

The cylinder sleeves are the bits with the oval holes in them.  They should be a finely machined, smooth, shiny cast iron surface, like the face of a cylinder head.  What you see is grit and dust emulsified in oil, fuel, water from condensation, into a fine gritty paste and built up on all surfaces.  The bottom of the air box is rough cast iron, it should simply look clean and shiny/wet.  the plug with the two holes in it has some of the grit wiped off with someones finger.  It should be clean and look like machined steel.

Brian

The bottom of my airbox is no-where near clean and shiny. I didn't see evidence of sand infiltration, but I do believe my blower is leaking oil. The screws were grimy, and the entire airbox was oily, with a little pooling on top. Unfortunately I had to put the blower back on without fixing it. I had taken it off to repair some bad leaks under and behind it. Just didn't have the money or the time right now. We are back on the road Monday and won't have any time off for maintenance/repairs until mid October. BTW, you don't even want to know what I found sitting in the bottom of the airbox. SCARY.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »

BTW, you don't even want to know what I found sitting in the bottom of the airbox. SCARY.

Yeah we do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: