Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 08:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skinning. Tell me why I should or shouldn't please.  (Read 1655 times)
wdtjawshwdt

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »

Lol Gumpy well it is true...i didn't expect it... Seems like there are a lot of guys from minnesota that have done these conversions...if any of you are bored and need something to do on a weekend...  Grin

Josh
1981 MC9 6v92DD 5 speed fuller
RIP 1996 Amtran dt444e

Farmington MN
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »

Three energetic bodies.  That's all you need.  Not a huge job, just take your time and buy a couple dozen high quality drill bits.  Really, there are bigger jobs on the bus - like removing the stock bathroom.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
wdtjawshwdt

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

Tikvah I love the window latches in the construction portion of your video.   Brilliant.   I did buy lower cabinets and I forklifted them in.  Said the same thing as you, I will just take it easy when I drive the bus into the shop....well the drawers were on the floor it was pretty aggressive.

Josh
1981 MC9 6v92DD 5 speed fuller
RIP 1996 Amtran dt444e

Farmington MN
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »

Cliff is a genius in my 31 year old opinion, so this isn't to contradict him, just sharing my experience. We bought 1/8" thick aluminum sheet and installed it on a hot summer day. It has never waved on us even at 105 degrees. That being said, a trip to AZ in the summer might change that but for 90% of where we travel and the temps we see, it has never gotten wavy. And the Fiberglas or filon skinned RV's we pass by everyday are super super wavy so I think we are fine. The thicker aluminum helps. And don't worry about the extra weight. It's negligible. Our coach fully kitted out only weighs 32,000 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Clumsy fingers may contribute to mistakes.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 05:52:11 AM »

Lol I don't how you guys do it the thermal expansion of aluminum is almost 2 times that of steel maybe small sections and plenty of rivets is the key

Boomer who owns one of the best looking Eagles on the planet did the whole sides of his Eagle with just one piece of aluminum and he is one for perfection his bus has waves on a hot day

Fiberglass unless you do like the builders of Prevost and MCI which use carbon fibers is the worst one can use. Some where on this board Jim the RV-Safety guy posted the numbers for the thermal expansion coefficients of all 3 materials steel won hands downs

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 07:50:32 AM »

When I did my bus, you almost had me convinced to do steel.  I like a lot of the "Pros" like:
No rivets - smooth side
Simple weld on - no pre-heat
work the metal just like automotive body work
No warp

But, there are some "Cons" too.
Heavy
Potential rust
Heavy
Weld spots visible from outside (lots of sanding)

But, there are some nice "Pros" to the aluminum
Easy to handle
Easy to form and cut
Light weight
Same look and material as the bus builders used
"Everyone Else is doing it"

The "Con" of aluminum is limited only to the potential of waving.  And if installed hot, and we stay out of AZ, that should'nt be a problem.

Also, be sure (this could be a pro for steel), that you protect your steel structure from the aluminum.

Cliff is a genius in my 31 year old opinion, so this isn't to contradict him, just sharing my experience

I'm with Scott - this is a rare experience, so I'm having fun!   Grin

One additional thought:  If I was replacing the lower aluminum, and the aluminum around the windows, then I think the smooth side steel might be the way to go.  You could spot weld the whole thing and even smooth seams if necessary (just like auto body work).  Hmmm, maybe I should have done that...

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »

MCI bus is already skinned with aluminium above the belt line, so adding a little more won't hurt.  The stock aluminium is thick and doesn't warp, the roof skin doesn't warp, so I guess the thermal expansion isn't that much of an issue.  The thick skin is pretty much the trick.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »

Lol look at all rivets Brian and the roof is in sections with a double row of rivets, GM are all aluminum they have a rivet ever 2 inches and still wave 

If aluminum is easier for the guys so be it as they own the bus my MCI 8 was skinned with steel from the converter fwiw     

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: