Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 11:40:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road Air removal  (Read 1371 times)
"The Norm"

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »

With the AC in the bus needing to be recharged I have decided to remove it and run the roof a/c's and run the drivers a/c off of a smaller compressor. I have a local bus repair facility that is interested in the a/c parts. He made me an offer for the Condenser, Compressor, Fans, and other misc item and he will remove them at his shop and it seemed very fair. What is a reasonable offer for those items? I understand that condition is a big factor.

Thanks !!!

1989 MCI 96A3 - 8V92TA - 4spd Auto
The conversion has started.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »

Norm,
What ever one is willing to pay determines value on things like this! I feel if you have someone offering anything in cash and also labor to PROPERLY remove them you have a very good offer.

I myself would either offer going scrap price for the parts if you brought them too me (and I do have a 96A3)

Or I would offer to remove them at no charge in exchange for the parts.

Now when I say PROPERLY remove them I mean wrenches, sockets, pliers and screwdrivers not a cutting torch or sawzall and a hammer leaving you to repair whatever they damage in the removal of the parts they want with no regard to the end result for you when done!

Also what part of the country are you in? Someone here on the board may know of someone else you could check with on what they would give you.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

I tried to give away the same basic bits for free, and it all went to the recycler.  If someone had offered to remove them and keep them for free, I would have been quite a bit ahead of the game.  If you are getting that and some cash, I'd be delighted...  I felt really bad about it, the condenser coil was perfect and the fan motor worked just fine, and that is a pricey motor.

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »

My copper heater core fetched $200 alone at the scrapper...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
"The Norm"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:00:18 PM »

I am located north east of Detroit about 45 min. The offer is from a very reputable bus garage in Detroit. I will verify how he is going to remove it before I make the decision. Thanks for the advice it sure makes the decision easier and will save me a bunch of time.

1989 MCI 96A3 - 8V92TA - 4spd Auto
The conversion has started.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »

If it is a reputable shop most likely they will plan on doing it right.

But it won't hurt to let them know you don't want stuff just hacked or cut off and left for you to deal with later just so they can get the "valuable parts."

Again that said most reputable shops will know that hoses, lines, wiring/relays and etc. are worth $ too!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »

FWIW I fished a line through the AC line from the condenser back to the compressor and pulled a bunch of wire through it.  I used it for my trailer brake controller wiring.  Handy as a pocket in a shirt!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »

As bevans6 did I used the AC Freon lines for electrical. Pulled 2 AC circuits in the supply line and a bundle of 12  #12 and #14 AWG  for DC circuits.
That yielded a duplex plug in for the misc in the engine bay and a dedicated plug for the block heater. DC wiring is still in the spare mode.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: