Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:31:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Air Horns  (Read 643 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:39:28 AM »

Well, I have been considering a set of louder horns for our bus and since I can't seem to find any Caddilac horns used locally I have begun thinking in terms of a set of air horns. With that said I have several questions:

I have an air supply (right under my feet, so I don't think I need an extra compressor just for the horns, right? Now I have run across an item called the "electromagnetic valve". Is this necessary in order to blow the horns correctly?

I would prefer loud, 12 volt horns but in South West Florida there seems to be a serious shortage of junkyards to find used big car horns. (I guess all the Bentley and Rolls owners here never wreck their cars.)

With this said, let it be known that I am operating with very shallow pockets on this project.

Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:54:01 AM »

Dave,
I found a nice set of air horns on ebay. I bought a lanyard operated air valve from a truck parts place and use the old air source for the set of air horns that went bad on my Buffalo.
jlv
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »

Try this!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hadley-air-horn-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aad7a5ce7QQitemZ320738057447QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

jlv
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »

I use Buell 4 toned train horns made for trucks (they are plastic).  I was in the right most lane next to a concrete barrier with a car hauler on the left that started drifting into my lane (you could see the driver bending down in his seat fiddling with something) and gave him a good long blast on the train horn-straightened him right out.  More then once I was greatful for having the train horns both on my bus and on my truck when I was driving cross country.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: