Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 07:07:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technomadia's 4106 Update  (Read 3761 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

Greetings all!

Wow how time flies!  When we bought our bus back in June in Yuma, AZ to be our next full time home on wheels, it was our intentions to live in her for a while before diving too deep into projects.

HAH, yeah - right.

I think we've caught this 'bus nut' thing pretty hard.  

We pulled into our friend's place in Lake Havasu City, AZ for a couple day break to celebrate the 4th of July with them, and only just left this past Thursday!  With their ample bus parking, amazing hospitality, enthusiasm for helping and a full tool supply - we ended up spending a full month tackling all sorts of projects.

Amongst other things, the bus now has an updated interior- here's a before and after pic:

Here's a full re-cap of all the projects we've done as shown in the picture:
http://www.technomadia.com/2011/08/bus-remodeling-the-answer-key/

New floors, new sink/faucet, re-painted the countertops (for now, we'll be replacing them eventually), ripped out the dinette (which will eventually become office space for two) and so much more.   We've also replaced the vent fan with a MaxxFan 7000k, added a tire pressure monitoring system, an infrared back up camera system, got all the exterior lights operational, cleaned up A/Cs and vents on the roof (and re-sealed), upgraded the sound system and so much more. There's so many little projects we've done as well, and have been enjoying keeping Luke @ US Coach, Amazon.com and Home Depot busy. We have parts to complete replacing all the baggage door hinges, new door frame seal, new filters, etc.

While in the area, we spent a day and visited Luvrbus - and he helped us track down & fix the only major leak - an o-ring on the air pump. Aside from recommending some other filters to swap out, there was nothing else evident with the engine he could point out.  

On Wednesday, we had enough of the 110+ Arizona desert heat (it actually got up to 125 while we were there), and headed to Flagstaff, AZ - where we're currently cooling off in an Alpine forest.  The bus did great making the climb to 7000 ft elevation, and barely cracked an engine temp of 195 on the inclines.

And wouldn't you know it, as soon as we pull into our campground, another bus is here!  We enjoyed hanging out with other bus nuts last evening comparing notes.

Now the interior is back to livable, we're going to try our best to slow down on the bus projects and focus on other areas of life too.  

Anyway, thought I'd give an update.

All our best!
 - Cherie (and Chris)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:09:59 AM by technomadia » Logged

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »

Cool nice update!
Enjoy and keep us dreamers posted.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

I have to say that I envy you for the freedom that you have created for yourselfs.  I would be happy with just a few hours a week to work on my bus lol.

Eric
Kevin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

Good Job Cherie and Chris!

You've accomplished more on your coach in a month than we have in years! Cheesy Looks great! I really like the open, airy look of your coach. I wonder if your windows open? Ours (PD 4104) has the original windows with one blocked off on passenger side and two on driver's. They open (begrudgingly Roll Eyes) but they open.

We'd like to replace with Peninsula glass one day... on the other hand, these not only open, they also "pop" open and out, emergency-exit-style. This is what we typically do while at the beach in summer months here in So Cal. In winter, while we're in the Mojave Desert dirt-biking, it is usually cool enough to keep windows closed, but if not, we just keep 'em slid open in normal function.

Anyway, nice coach! It's a beaut and you two have accomplished much. Glad to hear you're enjoying some R&R in cooler climes!!! Relaxing in these homes-on-wheels is what it's all about. Get there, un-stress (spell check suggested "undress" - that works too! Grin) and Ahhhhh!!!!

Sweet!

Kevin

"To the gov!!!"
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »

Thanks all..  we've really appreciated the wisdom, support and enthusiasm of this community. Y'all rock!

Kevin - Yes, the windows do open (with screens), and easily. As best we can tell, the fella who did the initial conversion back in '89 had the windows replaced with Peninsulas - but the non-slanty kind.  So they're the typical rectangular RV style window.  That's about the only regret on this particular coach we have, as the original slanty windows are *sweet*.   Oh well.   

We're super happy with our new digs, and loving making it ours.

- Cherie

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »

Cherie & Chris,

I'm impressed!!   Grin Grin

I am glad you are making out so well!

Now if you could just find someone to take on an MCI..........

LOLOLOLOLOL!!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

Making it your own is what it's all about  Grin Looks great, now enjoy the h...l out of it Wink
Will and Wife

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »

Now if you could just find someone to take on an MCI..........

We are opening up a lot of people's eyes to potential bus nut futures.  And when we show off all the great buses we've seen, yours is right at the top. Maybe we'll convince another newcomer to jump, and will send them your way.  Your bus is an incredible find.

Cheers,

- Chris

Just A Newell

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

We just flew to San Jose, Ca and bought our new 1986 Newell and on the way back saw a cool 4106 in Arizona. I sent a picture of it to my Buddy Bill and he said it looked like Technomedia's bus.
     I am new here to the bus board, and to bussing so i didn't know what to do when there is a bus sighting so we started with pictures.
We were a stoplight behind you in the picture and I thought no problem I'll wind the 8v92 up once back on I-40 and we'll catch up since Don just gave her a tune up. would have worked great if we had time to work the radiator over to.  When I reached 200 degrees climbing the 6,000 feet we had to slow down to 55 so we could run another day. That thing got a hemi.

SE Ks, 1986 Newell 8v92
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 05:53:48 AM »

Oh my gosh!!  How totally cool.. our first random spotting in the bus Cheesy  Thanks so much for the pics.

Was that in Kingman?     We were making only our second repositioning in our new-to-us 4106 to cooler temps in Flagstaff, and stopped there after the first climb for a lunch and safety break.  That traffic there was crazy for us new bus folks, so our apologies for not spotting ya in a rear view camera and finding a place to pull over.. that woulda been cool to meet up!

In the future, we plan to have our web and twitter address on the back of the bus, to make spotting us on the road easier. Smiley 

Sorry about your overheating on the climb - we were worried about that ourselves.

Congrats on your new bus, and cheers to the many adventures ahead!

- Cherie

Just A Newell

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 06:53:04 AM »

Yes that was Kingman, we stopped at Crackerbarrel to let the bus cool down and found a car wash to clean some road grim off the radiator.
My daughter is now very good at bus spotting and knowing quality from S&S.

SE Ks, 1986 Newell 8v92
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »

ya'all O'ficiolllioly  Bus nuts!!!     Bob & Judy  Grin

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »

Welcome to the madness Newell!
And well you've met "The Don" so you kinda got a feel for some of us nuts! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »

We were a stoplight behind you in the picture and I thought no problem I'll wind the 8v92 up once back on I-40 and we'll catch up since Don just gave her a tune up. would have worked great if we had time to work the radiator over to.  When I reached 200 degrees climbing the 6,000 feet we had to slow down to 55 so we could run another day. That thing got a hemi.

Wow - it is so cool to get caught by the bus paparazzi!  What awesome photos of us!!!

I am shocked you weren't able to catch us - we were in the slow lane taking it real easy the whole time.  On the steepest part of the grade towards Flagstaff we were in the far right lane with the big trucks going just a bit over 25mph.

I kept a close eye on our engine temperature, and it ranged from 185 - 200, but it never really pushed above that.  At what temperature should I start to get worried driving a 4106 with an 8V71?

- Chris

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:52 AM »

"When I reached 200 degrees climbing the 6,000 feet we had to slow down to 55 so we could run another day. That thing got a hemi."

Okay, here we go again, the dumb Okie has to ask .... That thing got a hemi, means what?

Thanking you ahead of time.

BCO

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: