Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 03:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adventuror,visionary/mechanich  (Read 864 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:54:28 AM »

Alright I gotta report to my fellow bus people.  I took off work Friday nat noon.  Got home checked all fluids, air ect.  Loaded up 100 gallons of WVO and all the dog training gear.  I also got the snakes in their snake box and tucked away in their bunk bed like always with the a/c blowing on them.  My wife got home and off we go north to Weatherford, Texas just west of Fort Worth.  6 hours went off without a hitch and we arrived, parked int he pasture where the training would commence in the AM.  12 AM and I am down for a 5 hour sleep with the genset putting into a coma.
What is that noise/ OH Dear Lord it is the alarm clock.  I get my coffee and head for the door, uh oh I gotta have clothes on or this deal isn't going to work.  I went outside just as the sun was turning the east to a fine purple.  I have live by "A red sky morn, sailors take warn" and if it is purple it is going to be a hot one.  Much to my surprise there wasa 15 mile wind from the west and it was a fantastic morning, Fantastic!!!  Nice dry heat.
Dogs started showing up and it was on.  My wife was registering folks and the line was building and as fast as it got going I was done.  We were done by 10 AM.  2 more folks called and said they would be there late so we sat down and had a cup of coffee with the owner fo the place.  They showed up and we finished out.
Time to go home so I went to check the oil and tires.  I rounded the back of the bus and this aint good, not at all.  The rear of the bus looked like the Valdez oil spill.  Yes, I panicked.  Checked the oil and it was not far off of where it should be.  So I put a little bit in and think I will watch my pressure and check it again in an hour.  BTW the engine compartment was coated in a thin layer of oil and no way to track a leak.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:07:48 AM »

(I ran out of room, sorry)  Alright I check the oil and the oil was fine. Ii can't imagine where all this black crap is coming from.  Well I have to go home, the oil is fine, temp is fine so here we go.  On the way home I noticed I was using a whole lot of veg oil.  I was hitting the surge tank fill toggle switch a lot.  That started me to thinking I had a fuel leak.
I get almost to the house and stopped at the auto parts to get some engine degreaser so I can wash the engine and track things down.  I left a huge puddle.  I opened the compartment and I see a fuel getting slung around.  It wasn't engine oil it was veg oil the whole time.  The veg oil was cutting the road dirt engine oil build up inside the engine compartment and the wind was plastering it to the rear of the bus.  The back of the bus looked like tar.
I get home back up to the barn and get the power washer fired up.  Spray the cleaner and go to town on the mess.  I used car soap on the rear of the bus and got everything cleaned, faster than I expected.  I fired her up again and found where the main concentration of fuel is coming from but I can't get to it, yet.  It is on the right side of the motor (right side when looking into the engine compartment).  I believe it is fuel line headed to the racks or it is the crossover line.  I am hoping it is one of those 2 lines.  If it isn't a line then I got a big problem.  The only other thing in there would be metal and that won't be good.
I believe I can get to these by removing the two metal water pipes on top of the engine, they are for the cooling system.  If I can get these out and the fuel line is ruptured then I am good to go.  If not, come give me a shoulder to cry on fellas.

www.snakebreaker.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »

prob on return line if she didn't lay down on you.  upside clean engine to work on.  down side  something else to work on in hot weather. upside didn't leave you stranded.  let us know outcome.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »

i had a brass nipple crack and lost all fuel pressure, i was stranded at the toll plaza and had to be towed $1085 bill to allstate.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:54:38 AM »

Those are a bear to change Wayne without a set of line sockets a open end wrench is not much help unless you remove the crossover and the thermostat housing,hoping you can get lucky though

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »

Mr. Clifford you aint just whistling.  I got the main pressure fue line to the rack on the right side off but the crossover line is a monster, a bear and a @#$%^.  There was no way I was going to get it the way I was going after it.  I busted up my back 10 years ago and I can't bend that long.  So out comes the turbo to give me some room.  I have it off to the side and figured I would head in and get some A/C and a tuna fish on soy bread sandwich Grin

I'll keep you guys posted as it comes along.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: