Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 10:29:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel pump question  (Read 1636 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »

Sure is pricey!!  $9.75 a foot on ebay.  OUCHHHH  I never would have though about the crop dusters.  I live in a strip of woods along the San Bernanrd river.  On both sides though are corn, milo and cotton fields.  Them dern croppers use my house as a landmark to get from their airfield refill stations to the crops to the west as I am the last house of a string along the river.  I used to cuss them when I worked nights and slept days.  They have no mufflers and they would buzz right over the house.  I swear I could hit them with a sling shot if I tried.  Fortunately I went to day shift and didn't have to drive over to the airfield to get my arse whooped for getting agitated at a pilot.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »

Part of the problem is that you may be using the wrong description for the hose you want when you go to a general distributor.  It has been quite a few years since I retired from Gates, but I don't recall that we ever used Viton in any fuel hose.  There are lots of good synthetic rubber type materials that will handle almost any type of fuel.

Viton was used in chemical hoses.  It is very hard to make a good Viton hose (adhesion issues) and the raw material is very expensive.

Apparently the bio fuel must be hard on typical premium fuel hoses.  That surprises me.  However, I will defer to the experts and they have obviously done their homework and found a chemical hose construction that works well.

One of the reasons that typical sales folks - even technical sale folks are not able to talk about materials is the the industry has really gone away from talking about materials. They "hide" behind terms like "tube meets RMA (Class A)  High Oil Resistance".  Drives me crazy!!!  Part of the reason is that it lets hose manufacturers get creative with great materials and not tell competitors know what they are doing, and of course, it lets them put the minimal material in a product - works both ways.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: