Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 12:50:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slide  (Read 1617 times)
Starliner58

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »

I have a problem. The mechanic I use for a lot of the work on my bus has put me on the spot. He built and installed a roll out tray for my  house batteries, and when I asked him how much he said you decide! On the surface that sounds great but I don't want to insult or overpay him. My question is what have you paid for the same thing, 21" by 24", roller bearings, good job?

Wayne
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:30:57 PM »

Wayne,

Can't tell you what the job is worth without actually seeing it, but I can tell you what I would do.

If this is someone who has done good work and been fair to me in the past.

First I would get my wife to kick me in the rear for not asking for a price upfront.  Tongue

Then I would tell my mechanic " I value your time and work, I want to be fair and not underpay you for either.  How much"

I would pay him whatever he asks....If it was more than I thought or wanted to pay, live and learn, if less, enjoy writing the check.

Remember, If you low ball him , he will get it back.....eventually.....

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:32:55 PM by FloridaCracker » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »

Cliff,

Great Answer,  I couldn't have said it better myself.....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 05:19:38 PM »

He should know how much he spent on materials, even if he is shy about asking for his labor.  He will also have an estimate of how much time he spent on it.  Those questions should get you closer to what he thinks its worth. 

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »

Well i'm gonna jump in here and tell ya I've been the mechanic who did exactly what Wayne's has! I did some custom work for a guy who told me what he wanted, I spent way more time than required by someone who did that type of work regularly, but I took my time and did an excellent job on "a learning experience". With that said I didn't feel justified in charging him for the time spent, didn't have a clue as to how much my materials should've cost as I used stuff I'd been keeping around for a special project one day. Didn't have a clue what a regular fabricator would've charged for the same job. Also didn't have a clue as to what he was willing to pay for it! Well since he was a good customer, and I valued his business I did the same thing as Wayne's guy. Told him just pay me what ever it's worth to you! Well he started asking how much $ did ya spend, how much time did ya put into it, how much does this normally go for? I finally told to shop it around and give me what he was comfortable with, boy I was shocked whe n he came by a couple months later and reminded me he still owed me for it, and handed me what I thought was way too much! He told me no you keep it, they want twice that for a half assed version with no installation, & I really feel I owe you for that too. But I just don't have it right now! Well I agreed to take what he was giving me as long as he agreed we were even! We've been doing business for yrs now! So I understand both sides of the deal here! So Wayne the best thing I can suggest is too check around like you are, and also let him know you value his work and don't wish to put a price on his job, and ask him for a fair price, if he still doesn't come up with one tell him you'll research it more and get back with him. He's just afraid of insulting you and losing your business, as you are his! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:43:04 AM »

Some photos would help us make a value judgement of time and materials costs.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 06:01:17 AM »

BK is right on the mark. If you try to over-pay him, you will be ahead of the game. If you under-pay him, he may be 'busy' every time you call.

If he is a good mechanic & you like working with him, give him as much $$ as you can followed with lots of grattitude. You will have a mechanic who looks forward to helping you.

Now to estimate the value of the service -
The labor rates at most shops start at $50/hr & go up from there (rapidly). He probably spent a day on it & had fun doing it. The bearings & slides can easily cost over $100. some can do it for less..... A picture will let us know the ballpark of material quality & construction.

Good Luck!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Starliner58

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:36:13 PM »

Thanks everyone! We settled up and everything is cool. He wouldn't take my initial offer, said it was to high, so we settled for less. He's happy and I certainly am.

Wayne
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 04:53:07 AM »

Great, but we still want photos of the slide (and we want to know what it ended up costing  Wink ).

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 05:23:43 AM »

Yeah, What gumpy said!  Grin

Inquiring minds want to know.

So do us nosey bodies  Cheesy

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 05:43:09 AM »

Yeah I'd  like to know also, I need two slides that will handle battery trays, and 1 for a tool box......!       Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 09:46:51 AM »

I took the easy way and bought a premade slide for $450 including freight.  Then paid $150 to have it installed.  It handles 8 of the golf cart batteries very well and is designed to handle 10 if needed.  It slides so easy it is scary.  Yes it might be a shade of the pricey side but I am very happy with it.  My old one took a line backer and two boys to pull it out.  The reason I paid to have it installed was I was not conforntable with all the wiring, I hate electric, and did not want to burn up my invertor.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 01:02:32 PM »

MD - keep an eye on the Eplace - I bought a pair of 200# (each) full extension chassis slides (brand new) for about $50 for both including shipping that retail for almost $200 EACH + shipping - such a deal and they work great - the guy had quite a few of them, maybe all sold out now but there should be others - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: