Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:25:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might want to check your insurance policy on fire damage  (Read 2619 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »

Good post Sean that is what I was talking about never depend on your agent either tell him what coverage you want some of those people are not the brightest light on the tree.
When I get the addendum's they send out trying to change my policy in mid stream the fight is on,I changed homeowners from a co we had been with for 30 years because of that read,read read or you are going to get screwed when the time comes and they will be within the laws of that state and you can bank on that  
I found over the years in business the best insurance co's are the ones the average Joe has never heard of or seen on TV lol and FWIW the state of Texas barred State Farm and a few others a few years back from writing new policies for a while because of the way they were treating and paying claims to the people on the coast that needed the help

good luck
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:22:26 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »

Sean,
 Great post, and this is the reason I wrote my initial post on this topic.

Not going to hang State Farm out there yet.............

This morning I called my local office and talked with the lady behind the desk I do my insurance business with, she called up the chain and I just got a call from a person who said that they will not cover the cost of the mechanical or electrical part that started the fire but WILL cover the resulting damage. I asked him to explain again and he said that if they determine a faulty switch is the blame they cover the resulting damage less the cost of the switch (or wiring harness). Said I mush have spoken to a new person on the first conservation yesterday. So maybe this will work out, I feel a lot better about it at the moment.

Still not sure about our bus's but I hope this post will make folks aware of a potential problem and maybe save some pain and suffering down the road.

Going to get a little political now, one of the things I agree with the current administration on is the new Consumer Protection Agency if they do what was intended and SIMPLIFY consumer contracts and agreements between us and the Banks, Insurance Company's and other industries we do business with down to a level that they can be read and understood by us the consumers. IMHO, the consumers in this country have been rode rough shod over for too long.

Rick
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:04:24 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »

So, with the policy Rick has if a bus has a fire that starts within the wiring harness they won't pay for replacing the wire harness.  A wiring harness on an all electronic bus could costs thousands of dollars to replace.  The wiring bundle running front to back in my coach is a good 3" to 4" in diameter.  If that harness burned up and I had to pay someone to replace it the cost would likely exceed the value of the bus.

My harness would have to be custom built from the schematics or salvaged from a parts bus of the same model.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
blank

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:40 AM »

If your Bus catches Fire, they will write it off. The smallest Fire could rapidly exceed the value of it. Even some of the newer Prevo's, with the current market and considering most companies total at 50% value, it dont take much to write em off.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 09:15:09 AM »

I can tell you for sure Progressive won't pay for that harness Brian they told us that was mechanical not covered under a RV policy as the guy told us it would be like them paying for a engine or transmission but they did pay for some smoke damage the owner had $1000 deductible cost 980 bucks for a outfit to come clean it wasn't funny in one way but the owner laughed about it.
Ever notice when a tire fire happens most just stand back and let it burn there is a reasoning behind that

good luck
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:20:26 AM by luvrbus » Logged

blank

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »

Ever notice when a tire fire happens most just stand back and let it burn there is a reasoning behind that

good luck

Sadly, a lot of the Ferrari and exotic car guys do that too. But with the mentality of Insurance Companies its hard to argue against.

Regarding a wire harness. Its very unlikely the harness itself would ever cause a fire, regardless of the vehicle. Its almost always a fuse/breaker problem, or physical dmage to the harness from something else. An engine fire will melt wires, and once the insulation is gone you can get shorts, and wiring shorts can take off and burn up the whole harness. If someone tried to say the harness started the fire I would laugh. But I suppose if the Company can get away saying thats the cause thats what they will do.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:45 AM »

Buying insurance is you placing a bet that you hope you will lose.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

Your credit score will determined your rate also I never knew that till we changed co's,the agent told us they go back 7 years and 1 point can cost you 100 bucks a year in premiums even with no claims.
He said very seldom do agents use the same credit reporting agency and that is why the same policy with different agents vary in price.
I wasn't proud of it but it was common practice and still used today and being a EOE employer the only we we could check a new employee was do a credit check x employers cannot give any information out about a x employee it is the law not right but that is the way it works now days so you work around it   

good luck

Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »

Just met with the adjuster and all is OK with me and State Farm.....I have spoke with 3 different State Farm people after the initial "we probably won't pay" conversation and to a person they say that whoever I spoke with on the first conversation must have been new.

Super nice adjuster, he worked with the shop they came up with a $$$ amount and said the check should be in the mail, even told the shop if they get into the dash and anything not apparent now shows up to save the defective part and call them.

Still might be a good time to take a look at policies as this scared the snot out of me. but it seems my policy does not cover the defective part (in my case the headlight switch) but the damage that resulted is covered. Sounds fair to be...........

Think I will enjoy life and try not to find anything per BKO's MAYBE I DON"T GET IT post to worry about for a few days.. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:56:14 AM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
blank

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »

Think I will enjoy life and try not to find anything per BKO's MAYBE I DON"T GET IT post to worry about for a few days.. Smiley

LOL. Rick, he just started a thread about his tool box, he worries about stuff too lol. I think his big gripe was peoples smart alec remarks when you ask about something you dont know about.

Those old GM cars like your Olds have a big wire coming into the cabin from the starter motor that is unfused. Later they started using fusible links. Amazing there is no fuse on the headlights eh???  I think it would be wise on those older cars to put some fuses on everything thats unfused. I saw a lot of those older GM's go up in smoke when that wire shorted.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »

Glad it worked out OK, State Farm and Allstate probably have the two worst claim adjustment records in the US according to Consumer Reports.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »

Glad it worked out OK, State Farm and Allstate probably have the two worst claim adjustment records in the US according to Consumer Reports.

Based on my own experience, I'll agree concerning allstate. Always feel dirty after dealing with them.   Sad

Based on my own experience, I'll have to disagree concerning State Farm, they have always taken very good care of me & mine - unless one was trying to get more than what was reasonable.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »

Have to throw in another "thumbs up" for State Farm.  Been with them for 10 years now and made three claims...never had an issue.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: