Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:13:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BUZZ OFF  (Read 2515 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »

Must be the Napa store

Sonnie was surprised they did not have it also.  I really do not know what the deal was, but it is working now, so that is all that matters.

BCO

Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

When ever I walk into either the Car quest or Napa store they walk away from the computer and head right to the catalog rack !!

Most of the time I go to car quest if they can't find it I'll ask them if I need to go up the street to Napa , that gets them digging a little deeper!

Good guys at both stores, old like me and know how to read a book !

Thanks ED
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:04:04 PM by Ed Brenner » Logged

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »

Is there stuff in NAPA's catalog that isn't in their computer?  If they can find it in the catalog they usually have to put the number in the computer to find the cost and if/when they can get it.

I've had decent luck with both NAPA and O'Reilly recently.  I generally have to find the part number myself, but they are happy to order the parts.  I really don't expect someone who spends 99% of their time dealing with brakes, starters, alternators, and the like for cars to be able to locate obscure truck/bus parts easily.  Most of the employees tend to own older cars they fix themselves so they know something about cars.

NAPA has a large location locally that specializes in heavy truck parts.  I was really worried while I was there because two of the guys were looking through a catalog of air valves to help a customer who had called.  Essentially all the customer told them was the valve had four ports.  They should have asked for a part number instead of random paging through a catalog looking for a four port valve.  I was thinking they could kill someone if they sold them the wrong air valve and the brakes failed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:33:35 PM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »

Must be the Napa store at our local NAPA store Steve didn't have problems finding it he has 2 different ones in stock $ 22.80 ea my cost btw this store is in Needles CA of all places, I buy a lot of DD stuff from there.
He is 1 in million he will open a book and forget about the key board ,you ask one of the others you get the duh 

Yes it's the store and the people in it.  Some just look in the computer and say NO.  Others dig for the part, I view it as a challenge from the customer to find the correct part for them.  My Brother once told me "They must love you at your store".
Don't say no intill you know, if you give up early you should have a number to call the customer back with final search results.  I even do internet searches to find the part if my company doesn't offer it. Bus parts are new to me but I have Luke's number.  Grin

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »

(which is getting up every two hours to use the bathroom, sort of like a bad prostrate problem).
I think if I were prostrate, getting up every two hours would be a welcome respite.   (Or conversely, if I had a prostate problem, getting it up every two hours would be a miracle, maybe even a miracle worthy of prostration . . .)   Just kidding.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »

(which is getting up every two hours to use the bathroom, sort of like a bad prostrate problem).
I think if I were prostrate, getting up every two hours would be a welcome respite.   (Or conversely, if I had a prostate problem, getting it up every two hours would be a miracle, maybe even a miracle worthy of prostration . . .)   Just kidding.

John

Holy Smokes!  I didn't notice that?  It should be "prostate" not "prostrate."  (Man-man, bad spellers of the world untie!)  Hey thanks for pointing that out to me, now if you will excuse me, I am going into the kitchen and stick my head in the oven.

BCO
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:50:10 PM by boxcarOkie » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »

(Man-man, bad spellers of the world untie!) 
BCO

OK. I am back now.  Clean dry shorts and all.  Thanks a lot. Don

John out of the john

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
blank

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 11:50:34 PM »

I was thinking they could kill someone if they sold them the wrong air valve and the brakes failed.

Parts store people arent always mechanics. They just sell parts, its not their responsibility to make sure its the right part, its the guy puttin it on who is supposed to know what the heck he is doing.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 01:35:02 AM »

(Man-man, bad spellers of the world untie!) 
BCO

OK. I am back now.  Clean dry shorts and all.  Thanks a lot. Don

John out of the john

Sending our very best ... Is the least we can do.  You are welcome.

BCO

rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 04:45:12 AM »

I think the problem is the people who load the info in the computers are loading by application(for the purpose of looking it up) and by part number (for the purpose of price and inventory control). Some of the stuff we want is getting obscure, and if they only sell 1 once in a blue moon..why go to the trouble of putting it in the system?
So, unless the parts man is well versed in catalog usage, ie what catalog, and WHERE in the catalog to look for something, you may never get what you want. One thing I need to do is find a parts guy near my home who understands how to find off the wall stuff!

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: