Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 11:57:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Camera - Will meet you at the rally  (Read 630 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »

I'm going to my first bus rally in Clio, Michigan next weekend and hope to meet some of you there.  ("Back to the Bricks", Flint Area, Michigan Bus Rally.    August 18-21)   At the same time, I'm going to start doing some freelance work for a local general contractor using an Thermal Imaging IR camera.  This is a very expensive piece of equipment, and there is a good deal of practice needed to become an expert with one of these devices, but I'm just blind enough to try.
So, I thought while we're at the show, if there an anything on your coach that you would like to have captured on a thermal imaging camera, this is your chance.  I'll be glad to look for free.   That gives me experience, give you an opportunity to check out your suspicions about a possible problem, and gives us both an opportunity to get to know each other.

Some recent pictures are below, including some I've taken of my MCI.  You can test almost any temperature difference.  Perfect for seeing a hot spot on a wheel bearing, or an overheated tire, also, wet insulation or even electrical dangers.   The pictures below don't show the actual temperature, but the camera can show exact temperatures and I can even print out a report showing actual details of everything in the camera view.

I won't have a bus there (I'm still building mine), but I'll be wandering around and staying in the area.  Contact me if your interested.  Remember - it's free and a good excuse to visit!

Hope to see you there!  

Dave & Amy Rush

House Gable on cool day...

Nearly overloaded electrical outlet...

My fan bearing on my MCI.  Everything is running at normal temperatures.  You can see the bearing is somewhat hotter than the body of the assembly... maybe time for a little grease...

Another shot of the fan bearing assembly...

Just left of center, the bright white spot behind the fuel line is my engine preheater.  The white-hot area along the top is the exhaust manifold.  We're looking in from the curb side access door, at the 6v92...

My instrument panel, with one indicator light on, really shows how sensitive the camera can be....

My GMC suburban alternator...

The large alternator on my 6V92...

My air compressor only a few minutes after startup...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:35:02 PM by Tikvah » Logged

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:08:23 AM »

We have used those in the past in concrete block plants to spot a loose or bad terminal connection or breaker in our 480V systems. Neat tool for sure.

I'm afraid if you tried to use one in Texas right now during this extreme heat, the image would be all red/orange!  Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »

Kind of reminds me of late 1960's/70's rock and roll concert posters or album covers  Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: