Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 06:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newell for sale  (Read 2755 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:37:17 PM »

I  found this located in Va.  Older Newell and has no tag or bogie.  Maybe that is a plus but the bad girl is powered b a 903 Cummins that weighs 2,800 pounds.  There must be a limit to what weight engine can be stuffed in the but of a bus.  Seems the 903 can be anything from 350 to 500 HP.  What little I have found to read on that engine says that the 555 Cummins is the rotten egg that the 903 is often confused with.  Most comments are favorable but nobody mentions MPG. 

Would like to hear some comments and ADVICE.  http://www.newellclassic.com/classifieds/index.php?a=2&b=424 

Thanks for the help,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:57:14 AM »

First off, http://www.newellclassic.com/ forum is a great place to ask questions and learn about Newells.

My take on a Newell is that it is a very bus-like RV that is designed from the ground up as an RV, not designed as a bus and converted.  So you get a lot of the things that we really like about buses on the outside and a purpose built very high quality RV on the inside.  The chassis is purpose built and gets away from the typical wood-box-on-a-truck-chassis that a lot of RV's have, and the reputation for quality is second to none.  They seem to last like a bus too, lot's of people on older Newells.  I would not hesitate to buy one, and if I was of an age where I didn't have three or five years to get a personalized conversion sorted out, a Newell would be exactly what I would look for.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »

While Newell is my favorite of the high end motor home they have 2 other players in that field the Vogue V was a nice coach built from the ground up came in 40 and 45 ft lengths the 45 ft had a steerable tag both came with 12L Cat engines then you have the Foretravel U that was a very nice coach wood work was 2nd to none just 2 more options for lookers.
Reading the FMCA rag a new Foretravel is listed at over a million 

JohnEd the triple nickel 555 rates right up there with the 3208 Cat it is a love hate relation ship with owners the 903 is still built today for the military not a bad engine but loves fuel and leaks oil like crazy

good luck
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:50:49 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:37:31 AM »

While Newell is my favorite of the high end motor home they have 2 other players in that field the Vogue V was a nice coach built from the ground up came in 40 and 45 ft lengths the 45 ft had a steerable tag both came with 12L Cat engines then you have the Foretravel U that was a very nice coach wood work was 2nd to none just 2 more options for lookers.
Reading the FMCA rag a new Foretravel is listed at over a million 

JohnEd the triple nickel 555 rates right up there with the 3208 Cat it is a love hate relation ship with owners the 903 is still built today for the military not a bad engine but loves fuel and leaks oil like crazy

good luck

You failed to mention the "best part" Clifford.

The Newell is made in Oklahoma (MIO) ... The Foretravel while certainly a quality coach and all that, unfortunately is manufactured in Texas.

Just stirring the pot ...

BCO

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:46:52 AM »

OOOWWWWWW!  Curb thy tongue Knave. Grin

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »

I ran back and fourth from Green Bay to Gary In a tousand times with a KW that had the 903. It will pull 80000 and almost keep up with the straight 6s. Given enough road it could almost catch up

Cummins version of the V-8,,,,,,,,,least its a four stroke.

No doubt that bus would be a rocket with one if it is running right.

They make a unique low rumble liked that.

Id buy a Newel in a heartbeat. The chassis and house are the same manufacture made in america you can get the entrance door in the middle where it should be.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »

I ran back and fourth from Green Bay to Gary In. a thousand times with a KW that had the 903. It will pull 80000 and almost keep up with the straight 6s. Given enough road it could almost catch up

Cummins version of the V-8,,,,,,,,,least its a four stroke.

No doubt that bus would be a rocket with one if it is running right.

They make a unique low rumble liked that.

Id buy a Newel in a heartbeat. The chassis and house are the same manufacture made in america you can get the entrance door in the middle where it should be.

Great post Joe.  How did it do on MPG compared to the "other" V8 or the sixes?  I have read a trucker say that his "six" rated at 400 HP would run away from some other brands"400" HP engine.  In my reasoning, 400 HP should get you up the same hill at the same speed regardless of the color of the pack-edging paper.  Any explanation other than lies?

Thanks again for the answer,

John

—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »

Joe FWIW I have 2 friends with 903 in buses 1 has a Eagle 500 hp it makes a leaking DD look clean lol but we are working on it, the other is in a 4501 Scenicruiser both are turbo engines with it being a military engine now parts prices are out of this world a head set 850 bucks from Cummins.
Imo they are not much for a 14L engine turning 2400 rpm

good luck
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:17:36 PM by luvrbus » Logged

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »

OOOWWWWWW!  Curb thy tongue Knave. Grin

John

Knave ... Little harsh wouldn't you say?  (noun archaic ... a dishonest or unscrupulous man)  That is a mid-evil term isn't it?  Wonder what I would have been, a feudal master or a serf?  Most likely the later.  Today must be "language day" on BCM ...

BCO
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:09:08 PM by boxcarOkie » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 03:12:16 PM »

Awwwww, if I hadn't used the "thy" as in "thine" word you wouldn't have gotten that. Tongue  No fair test'n me as I only plucked that one out of a Mel Brooks movie. Grin

"Evil Doer's", no relation to Scotch, is a term applied to those that would wipe out all mankind and the collective memory.  On reflection, I agree with you....it was harsh.  Or maybe absurd....Help me out here.

John....I'm try'n

—Pla
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »

Awwwww, if I hadn't used the "thy" as in "thine" word you wouldn't have gotten that. Tongue  No fair test'n me as I only plucked that one out of a Mel Brooks movie. Grin

"Evil Doer's", no relation to Scotch, is a term applied to those that would wipe out all mankind and the collective memory.  On reflection, I agree with you....it was harsh.  Or maybe absurd....Help me out here.

John....I'm try'n

Tongue N Cheek, I got it.

BCO

Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

John Ed
I can speak from experience. I had a 38' 1989 Newell Classic. It would easily run 80+ mph on the interstate, and at 70 mph, would purr like a kitten up front but out back, if you followed it, it was all business. At 70 mph, it was 6 mpg, has a 300 gal diesel tank so it ran forever. I took mine over the continental divide several times per year and unlike the cat engine, you put the pedal down starting up the divide and kept it there until you started down the other side. Mine would easily run 55 up and over the divide while running an EGT of 950-1000 degrees fully loaded.
The guys at Newell in Miami, OK still routinely work on the Classics, although at $95 per hour you would want to work on it as much as you can. The way they are constructed, almost everything is available at Lowes/Home Depot, Detroit Dealer or Farm Store so working on them yourself is very easy.
The ride is very smooth, well insulated so heating/cooling is easy, water system is all sweat copper, gray water is black DWV pipe, electrical is (dare I say it) all solid strand, mostly 12-2 cable-no conduit-no hold downs, etc.
The only thing about them, since they are custom built per order, finding one you like, in the color you like and in the floor plan you like can take a while. They are austere inside, very little fluff until you get to the mid 90"s models. I am suprised to see the rope light in this one, obviously someone added that as it would never be found from the factory that way in that vintage. Now if you find one that is close to what you like and think to yourself, you can modify it to fit, be forwarned, they use 3/4" cabinet grade birch plywood that is covered with laminate. Where the plywood meets the side wall of the coach, they rivet a metal strip to the bus side wall and then rivet the metal strip to the plywood. You can move the plywood, it just takes some work.
If I had known the RV market was going to go to pot like it has and prices hit rock bottom, I would never have started my Prevost conversion but bought a Newell instead. There is a 90 41' on ebay right now for an asking price on $57K. That coach would have sold for $350K new. They have a terrific Newell owners club that takes 4-6 tours per year, to which we still belong even though we no longer have a Newell. Karl Blade, who owns Newell, says "I am leaving your name in it because you WILL own a Newell again". He's probably right, although I am enjoying building my own conversion now.
BTW, I bought my Newell for $125K from a bank in 1993 that had forclosed on it, drove it for 6 years and sold it at $135K to a guy who drove it from Missouri to Alaska. He flew into Springfield after looking at the pics on the internet, came to the house, looked at it, handed over a cashier check and took off for Alaska 30 minutes later. He called 4 days later saying he was sitting on the Kenai Pennisula "camping".

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage
Misssouri
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »

I see Roger Penske's 2011 Newell from time to time in Scottsdale only Newell you will see with DD15 engine 550 hp he buys one every 3 years

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »

Rob,

Excellent info.  Thanks for that.  Did your Newell have the 903 Cummins?  Did your have a bogie or tag?

Thanks again,

John

—Pla
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »

While we are on the topic of "not exactly buses".....
    I have a friend who is looking at a 2000 monaco signature with a 500hp cummins ISM engine.
Unfortunately I couldn't give him any advice.  Not sure about the quality of the coach or the engine.
     Any thoughts??
 Thanks,  Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 04:56:04 AM »

It kills me when someone stereotypes stuff so generally.

Like stay away from that engine it is a leaker.

Any engine will leak if you let it and will not if you stop it.

My 8V92 was a slobberin mess when I got it and it barly drips now.

No matter what camper you get every aspect is in an either or type choice. Even thou a straight 6 is prefferable overall IMO any Newel even with a 903 is a compramise Id be willing to make.

If I knew what a PITA and the complexity and costs of my XL was going to be to maintain and keep going Id bought a Newel too, or at least Id a looked at some for sure.

I was very young when I ran that 903 but dont recall it to be leaking any worse than any other.

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

It kills me when someone stereotypes stuff so generally.

Like stay away from that engine it is a leaker.

Any engine will leak if you let it and will not if you stop it.

My 8V92 was a slobberin mess when I got it and it barly drips now.

No matter what camper you get every aspect is in an either or type choice. Even thou a straight 6 is prefferable overall IMO any Newel even with a 903 is a compramise Id be willing to make.

If I knew what a PITA and the complexity and costs of my XL was going to be to maintain and keep going Id bought a Newel too, or at least Id a looked at some for sure.

I was very young when I ran that 903 but dont recall it to be leaking any worse than any other.

You make some valid points and they are well received.  I have a friend who did just what you are suggesting, he took his Prevo XL and sold it, then he bought a Newell.  The Prevo was eating him out of house and home (this is not a blanket condemnation of Prevo's so don't write me any letters!) and he had to get out from under it.  

He also lost his shirt when he sold it.

Now with the Newell, a 91 model, which he has owned for a little less than two years, he has had his fair share of problems, but not to the extent of his previous coach.  All of them (Newell or otherwise) are going to give you problems at some time or another.  If there isn't any oil under my Detroit, then it is most likely out of oil.  But I still like to drive it and own it.

Nice comment.

BCO
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:17:59 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »

(this is not a blanket condemnation of Prevo's so don't write me any letters!)

Why not??

How about "Prone to failure"

muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:50 AM »

Dang Guys, Does this mean my Prevost gonna explode? Hopefully, not with me in it.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »

Often very challenging.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 06:35:04 AM »

Joe. If my memory serves me right when you first hit the boards (BNO) you had nothing but bad to say about the 8v92 leaking and not a good engine remember me or someone referred you to a site where you could understand the 2 strokes never heard you saying much about how bad they were since lol the 903 will leak if you don't stay on top of it same applies to a 2 stroke or any engine

good luck
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:56:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »

Yes I did. But I have learned different

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »

I know Id rather have a 903 than any 2 stroke DD, regardless.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »

Yes I did. But I have learned different

Now that is coming across as LARGE.  Good for you.  You see more of that sincere honesty here that other places I haunt but you never get enough of it.  Thanks, Joe....and Clifford, too.

Now how many other things are we unshakably certain of that will prove to be falsehoods?  Maybe honesty "isn't" the best policy.... I'm try'n ta keep a open mind on all't of it.... even that. Grin satire!

John

—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »

I am acquainted with the lead instructor over at the D instruction shop at our local community College.  At least I was a few years ago.  He was a really nice guy and his shop taught Cat, Cummins, DD and other stuff.  The students couldn't possibly become fully expert on all engines and all concentrated on a single favorite manufacturer.  He shared that their respective confidence in "their Guy" was nearly unshakable and nearly all arrived with that prejudice that went unshaken by education.  I learned a few things that he held as "truisms"....at least as far as I can judge.  This guy thought that Cummins made the best I6 XXXliter as it ran forever and was cheap to repair, comparatively speaking.  A mechanical.  Cat was the most complicated and made the best power of anything.  It was a real gut buster and served exceptionally well...till the day it died.  It was more expensive to overhaul than the average airliner jet engine.  I asked about his obvious omission of the DD 2 stroke.  He said it was out of production except for "military" and boats and such but still had a large following among students.  He felt they were high in power per pound, light in weight reasonably efficient except when compared with the modern common rail engines and he felt that they were "tough" beyond belief.  He based that on seeing the innards of "a hundred of the things" that were taken out running.  AND, he had had the "boys" drain all the oil out of a 8V??, start it up, run it into the gov and time the "run till failure".  Heh, Heh, Heh (I am quoting a sound he made as best I can) it took 17 minutes to "stop itself". 2.300RPM rings a bell.  That DD had been through "overhaul" by students many times and the next year they were deleting it from even "routine maint familiarization" so it was assembled by rookies with many times used(new) parts and DD contributed all the parts that needed replaced every time it was opened up.

What a memorable hour and a half.  I felt I had met someone that was related to Richard Bach.  He was "in" to clean up some paper work as school had been out on summer break for a few weeks and why he would spend all that time on a "civilian" is a mystery.  The place "stank" of learning from the first moment I opened the door.  Men left there as "Fishermen" and fed themselves for life.

That visit wasn't the first time I had gotten the impression that the 2 stroke, fresh, mind you, is one tough puppy and hard to beat.  And it's day has come and gone for commercial service.

That's what I picked up, anyway.  Thanks again, "professor" aka "a certified mech with a degree in Education from U of O".

John

—Pla
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »

There seem to be several Newells for sale with various engine choices.  I saw one that said it had an 8v71 turbo, and another that said it had 475hp, probably 8v92.  They look like nice coaches, but I already have one.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »

There seem to be several Newells for sale with various engine choices.  I saw one that said it had an 8v71 turbo, and another that said it had 475hp, probably 8v92.  They look like nice coaches, but I already have one.

Lin,

Where are the adds for those Newells?

Thanks,

John

—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »

Joe, they are good engines I love the sound of one with dual pipes what I don't like they have no low end torque you can take a 525 hp turbo 903 and they have to be at 2200 rpm to achieve 1100 lbs of torque your 8v92 beats that with 1/2 the rpms my friend and will do better on fuel

good luck

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »

I can't say anything about the Newells, Preyvos, 903's or triple nickles!

But I can tell you flat out the biggest POS Cummins ever built was the 444! Look up JUNK in the dictionary and there will be a picture of the 444!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »

John,

I had done a search on http://www.seekyouritem.com/cl/search.php?cx=013899832879087547080%3Abnh-uajxhuu&cof=FORID%3A11&q=&sa=Search+entire+craigslist#19, one of the universal Craigslist sites.  There is even an 89 in Oregon, (your area?) that has dropped from 35k to 30k.  I think I saw an 84 in Fla for about 16k too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: