Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 12:17:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newell for sale  (Read 2861 times)
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 04:56:04 AM »

It kills me when someone stereotypes stuff so generally.

Like stay away from that engine it is a leaker.

Any engine will leak if you let it and will not if you stop it.

My 8V92 was a slobberin mess when I got it and it barly drips now.

No matter what camper you get every aspect is in an either or type choice. Even thou a straight 6 is prefferable overall IMO any Newel even with a 903 is a compramise Id be willing to make.

If I knew what a PITA and the complexity and costs of my XL was going to be to maintain and keep going Id bought a Newel too, or at least Id a looked at some for sure.

I was very young when I ran that 903 but dont recall it to be leaking any worse than any other.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

It kills me when someone stereotypes stuff so generally.

Like stay away from that engine it is a leaker.

Any engine will leak if you let it and will not if you stop it.

My 8V92 was a slobberin mess when I got it and it barly drips now.

No matter what camper you get every aspect is in an either or type choice. Even thou a straight 6 is prefferable overall IMO any Newel even with a 903 is a compramise Id be willing to make.

If I knew what a PITA and the complexity and costs of my XL was going to be to maintain and keep going Id bought a Newel too, or at least Id a looked at some for sure.

I was very young when I ran that 903 but dont recall it to be leaking any worse than any other.

You make some valid points and they are well received.  I have a friend who did just what you are suggesting, he took his Prevo XL and sold it, then he bought a Newell.  The Prevo was eating him out of house and home (this is not a blanket condemnation of Prevo's so don't write me any letters!) and he had to get out from under it.  

He also lost his shirt when he sold it.

Now with the Newell, a 91 model, which he has owned for a little less than two years, he has had his fair share of problems, but not to the extent of his previous coach.  All of them (Newell or otherwise) are going to give you problems at some time or another.  If there isn't any oil under my Detroit, then it is most likely out of oil.  But I still like to drive it and own it.

Nice comment.

BCO
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:17:59 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:43 AM »

(this is not a blanket condemnation of Prevo's so don't write me any letters!)

Why not??

How about "Prone to failure"

muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:50 AM »

Dang Guys, Does this mean my Prevost gonna explode? Hopefully, not with me in it.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »

Often very challenging.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 06:35:04 AM »

Joe. If my memory serves me right when you first hit the boards (BNO) you had nothing but bad to say about the 8v92 leaking and not a good engine remember me or someone referred you to a site where you could understand the 2 strokes never heard you saying much about how bad they were since lol the 903 will leak if you don't stay on top of it same applies to a 2 stroke or any engine

good luck
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:56:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »

Yes I did. But I have learned different

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »

I know Id rather have a 903 than any 2 stroke DD, regardless.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:22 AM »

Yes I did. But I have learned different

Now that is coming across as LARGE.  Good for you.  You see more of that sincere honesty here that other places I haunt but you never get enough of it.  Thanks, Joe....and Clifford, too.

Now how many other things are we unshakably certain of that will prove to be falsehoods?  Maybe honesty "isn't" the best policy.... I'm try'n ta keep a open mind on all't of it.... even that. Grin satire!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »

I am acquainted with the lead instructor over at the D instruction shop at our local community College.  At least I was a few years ago.  He was a really nice guy and his shop taught Cat, Cummins, DD and other stuff.  The students couldn't possibly become fully expert on all engines and all concentrated on a single favorite manufacturer.  He shared that their respective confidence in "their Guy" was nearly unshakable and nearly all arrived with that prejudice that went unshaken by education.  I learned a few things that he held as "truisms"....at least as far as I can judge.  This guy thought that Cummins made the best I6 XXXliter as it ran forever and was cheap to repair, comparatively speaking.  A mechanical.  Cat was the most complicated and made the best power of anything.  It was a real gut buster and served exceptionally well...till the day it died.  It was more expensive to overhaul than the average airliner jet engine.  I asked about his obvious omission of the DD 2 stroke.  He said it was out of production except for "military" and boats and such but still had a large following among students.  He felt they were high in power per pound, light in weight reasonably efficient except when compared with the modern common rail engines and he felt that they were "tough" beyond belief.  He based that on seeing the innards of "a hundred of the things" that were taken out running.  AND, he had had the "boys" drain all the oil out of a 8V??, start it up, run it into the gov and time the "run till failure".  Heh, Heh, Heh (I am quoting a sound he made as best I can) it took 17 minutes to "stop itself". 2.300RPM rings a bell.  That DD had been through "overhaul" by students many times and the next year they were deleting it from even "routine maint familiarization" so it was assembled by rookies with many times used(new) parts and DD contributed all the parts that needed replaced every time it was opened up.

What a memorable hour and a half.  I felt I had met someone that was related to Richard Bach.  He was "in" to clean up some paper work as school had been out on summer break for a few weeks and why he would spend all that time on a "civilian" is a mystery.  The place "stank" of learning from the first moment I opened the door.  Men left there as "Fishermen" and fed themselves for life.

That visit wasn't the first time I had gotten the impression that the 2 stroke, fresh, mind you, is one tough puppy and hard to beat.  And it's day has come and gone for commercial service.

That's what I picked up, anyway.  Thanks again, "professor" aka "a certified mech with a degree in Education from U of O".

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »

There seem to be several Newells for sale with various engine choices.  I saw one that said it had an 8v71 turbo, and another that said it had 475hp, probably 8v92.  They look like nice coaches, but I already have one.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »

There seem to be several Newells for sale with various engine choices.  I saw one that said it had an 8v71 turbo, and another that said it had 475hp, probably 8v92.  They look like nice coaches, but I already have one.

Lin,

Where are the adds for those Newells?

Thanks,

John

—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »

Joe, they are good engines I love the sound of one with dual pipes what I don't like they have no low end torque you can take a 525 hp turbo 903 and they have to be at 2200 rpm to achieve 1100 lbs of torque your 8v92 beats that with 1/2 the rpms my friend and will do better on fuel

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »

I can't say anything about the Newells, Preyvos, 903's or triple nickles!

But I can tell you flat out the biggest POS Cummins ever built was the 444! Look up JUNK in the dictionary and there will be a picture of the 444!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »

John,

I had done a search on http://www.seekyouritem.com/cl/search.php?cx=013899832879087547080%3Abnh-uajxhuu&cof=FORID%3A11&q=&sa=Search+entire+craigslist#19, one of the universal Craigslist sites.  There is even an 89 in Oregon, (your area?) that has dropped from 35k to 30k.  I think I saw an 84 in Fla for about 16k too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: