Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 05:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Questions Begin  (Read 4590 times)
eagle.one

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 03:39:31 PM »

I have a house type in my Eagle 15 it has a tank inside of the tank it can not let water get out  I Love IT
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 03:46:25 PM »

Jeremy, regarding the toilet P-trap, I've found a concern - which may or may not be an issue for others.  I travel (flying) a lot on business - used to be gone up to 3 weeks at a time.  On returning home, I've found that a great deal of water had evaporated from the bowl.  Never quite enough to break the water barrier in the trap, but that looks to me like a matter of time.  For the house, we have a standing policy - when we're both gone for over a week, the cat-sitting neighbor flushes each toilet at least once per week.

If the water in the P-trap is the _only_ barrier to sewer gasses (house) or foul odors (bus), evaporation could break the seal.  Since my coach may sit, unattended, for long periods in the Texas heat, I wouldn't risk that being the only odor barrier.  I may be wrong, just my experience.

Arthur Gaudet Carrollton, TX

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »

Art, a teaspoon of cooking oil of some type will solve that problem of evaporation. Also needed in the kitchen sink, shower, bathroom sink, dishwasher and any other appliance with a trap. I really think it is mostly an old wives tale of water sloshing out of a toilet during hard stops. It is really not physically possible to have a hard stop in a bus. I know, I have had to make a couple of emergency stops, balls to the wall. Never a harsh sudden stop. Period. And the same for mold in a toilet. Who ever heard of such a thing? And if it was in the toilet it would also be in any of the other p-traps in the coach. And they make ceramic toilets that are all one piece molding. No worry about the tank breaking off from the toilet. Some of you guys are starting to sound like FF! LOL
Richard

Jeremy, regarding the toilet P-trap, I've found a concern - which may or may not be an issue for others.  I travel (flying) a lot on business - used to be gone up to 3 weeks at a time.  On returning home, I've found that a great deal of water had evaporated from the bowl.  Never quite enough to break the water barrier in the trap, but that looks to me like a matter of time.  For the house, we have a standing policy - when we're both gone for over a week, the cat-sitting neighbor flushes each toilet at least once per week.

If the water in the P-trap is the _only_ barrier to sewer gasses (house) or foul odors (bus), evaporation could break the seal.  Since my coach may sit, unattended, for long periods in the Texas heat, I wouldn't risk that being the only odor barrier.  I may be wrong, just my experience.

Arthur Gaudet Carrollton, TX

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 05:09:50 PM »

The .6 gal flush for a house hold toilet was not a misprint. Lowes has them in stock everywhere and  the last time I checked they were $67.95.  I have  a house hold toilet in my shop, awaiting installation in my coach, that has .6 gal per flush stamped on it.

Also th rv types have to have new seals installed ocasionally and it is really a sh***y job.

They leak and smell, if a fresh seal on the valve isn't present.

Ed
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:12:13 PM by Kristinsgrandpa » Logged

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »

Also a piece of paper caught in the seal will cause it to leak and can damage the seal.
Richard

The .6 gal flush for a house hold toilet was not a misprint. Lowes has them in stock everywhere and  the last time I checked they were $67.95.  I have  a house hold toilet in my shop, awaiting installation in my coach, that has .6 gal per flush stamped on it.

Also th rv types have to have new seals installed ocasionally and it is really a sh***y job.

They leak and smell, if a fresh seal on the valve isn't present.

Ed

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
belfert

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 05:29:48 PM »

I looked up the Thetford Aria, by the way, and as far as I can tell it is not distributed in the UK. I did eventually find some 'nice' RV toilets available here, but they were around FIFTEEN TIMES the price of a regular house toilet - not really an expense I can justify given that I don't expect it will ever get much use.

What I am guessing is that RV toilets have basically been designed to work (or at least not leak water everywhere) in some fairly extreme applications (such in a yacht going through waves while heeling at 45' for example). A coach conversion is probably the least extreme application of all, which is why I wonder whether you really need to pay all that extra money. Putting aside the potential vibration-related issues, the biggest 'force' you could apply to the toilet in a bus would be violent braking, say combined with a steep downhill grade. My instinct tells me that it wouldn't be difficult to prevent a regular domestic toilet sloshing water everywhere in this situation. I may be wrong, though.

Man, RV toilets must be REALLY expensive over in the UK.

Here in the USA, I can get a cheap house toilet for $75 to $100.  The Thetford Aquamagic toilet for an RV costs around the same amount.  A inexpensive china RV toilet is less than $200.  I think it has a plastic seat.  A more expensive model with a better seat and such is maybe $300.  There are top of the line china toilets that are much more expensive, but that is all I know.  I bought a Thetford Bravura toilet for my bus.

Marine toilets are generally different than RV toilets and generally cost more.  I know some bus conversions have marine type toilets in them.

Brian Elfert
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 06:17:26 PM »

Wow,
Thanks for all the responses.  I had no idea it was so complicated.  I can see this is going to be a very
steep learning curve.  But this seems to be the right place for it.

Thanks,

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 06:59:03 AM »

I had sent off for info once on a brand that I do not remember the name but I remember the models one was called the superbowl and the other was the royal flush, the prices I believe were $1000 & $1500. For that price I would expect a wash, a powder & a kiss. I just threw the pamplets away and bought a nice one from Lowes.  Ray
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 09:53:01 AM »

And the Japanese are famous for taking toilets to the next level.  They have some available for $5500.  thats not a typo

They have a wand that comes out and flushes your behind, the seats have an automatic raising or lowering seat, they are heated.  Heck,  was expecting some action too!

New Design. A Revolution in Hygiene. The Washlet E200 from TOTO.
 Adjustable heated water tank
 Adjustable rear and front washes
Adjustable Warm air dryer
Convenient remote control
 Oscillating comfort wash
 Curved rear case fits more French curve toilets
Adjustable, heated, SoftClose seat
To help you create the ambiance of a spa in your own private retreat, TOTO has created the Washlet E200.

Trim. Sleek. Advanced technology. Upon activation, the automatic wand extends to provide a gentle stream of warm aerated water. The result? An unparalleled level of comfort and clean. For maximum soothing, we included a massage feature; a warm-air dryer and a temperature controlled heated seat with energy-saver functionality.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »

Hearing this talk about .6 gallon flushes in home toilets has me curious.  How much do these toilets cost in relation to some of the nicer rv models?  Surely they're significantly more expensive than standard home toilets.  Where would one find them?  I've only seen the 1.6 gallon flush models.

David
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2006, 02:57:55 PM »

H3Jim,
          if Toto makes one that blows warm air and massages, do you have a number I can call!
                                                                                                        Ray
Dallas

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »

H3Jim,
          if Toto makes one that blows warm air and massages, do you have a number I can call!
                                                                                                        Ray

Yeah, Cat was just saying something like that to me too!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 05:00:10 PM »

If i got one of them i wouldn't need a bus any more Shocked

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 10:58:04 AM »

I stayed at the Century Hyatt in Shinjuku, Jp a couple of years ago, They had these TOTO "Robo-Hoppers" in the room.  A Bit Disconcerting if you don't know what going on.... 
BTW, They did have a blow dry option (Heated Air)  But the Massage was arranged through the Front Desk  and was a bit costly if I remember right

Roll Eyes
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2006, 06:17:07 PM »

With RV toilets, there is no standing water reservoir in the toilet, it's all in the tank.  If you let the regular house type commode sit for awhile (say a couple of months), then wouldn't the water inside get all gross and gunky?  Wouldn't you have to drain a regular toilet everytime you parked the bus for more than a few days?

Jus' wonderin' Undecided

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: