Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 05:39:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Questions Begin  (Read 4616 times)
bergdoll

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 07:30:43 AM »

i bought a thetford bravura aqua magic (foot flush) & it was fine until the warranty expired (3 years) ,so i bought the "kit" ($40.)from thetford which is another rubber seal & that went out in less than a year. when i replace i am going to lowes to get a standard household toilet. no more overpriced RV crap!

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 07:38:30 AM »

i bought a thetford bravura aqua magic (foot flush) & it was fine until the warranty expired (3 years) ,so i bought the "kit" ($40.)from thetford which is another rubber seal & that went out in less than a year. when i replace i am going to lowes to get a standard household toilet. no more overpriced RV crap!
Just remember, a standard household toilet typically uses a lot more water to flush.  And, I suspect you can't maintain operable levels of water in the tank and bowl while in motion or there will be sloshing problems.
Dreamscape

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 07:53:54 AM »

We have an old RV toilet in our Eagle. I say old because it's been the same once since we've owned the coach, 5 years. Only have used it when we went to TBR last year. I will say I was quite surprised on how well it worked, and the seal wasn't dried out so it wouldn't hold a bit of water when the valve is closed. It is plastic and looks like it's been through a tornado. Other than that it will get replaced as probably one of the last things to do on the inside. If it stops working than I'll replace it with one with a softer seat for those long sessions.  Roll Eyes

Paul
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »

Just remember, a standard household toilet typically uses a lot more water to flush.  And, I suspect you can't maintain operable levels of water in the tank and bowl while in motion or there will be sloshing problems.
I have read where some people put a couple of bricks in a standard toilet to reduce the amount of water required to fill the tank. They indicated that it worked fine with the reduced amount of water. Also indicated that there was no sloshing problem.

I really do not see that sloshing water out of the toiled would be a problem. Possibly it would empty the trap level enough to allow flumes up into the coach.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »

I key word here is EVAPORATION of the water from the P trap, at which time it gets VERY unplesant.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Dallas

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »

We use an Aqua Magic "Starlite" by Thetford. We got it used from a friend when he replaced the toilet in his 89 Fleetwod Bounder. He said he wanted all the bells and whistles... I don't know about any bells, but I do know about some of the whistles! Wink

I used up two of the foam toilet seals that various RV places sell, and they were gone in less than a year. I finally got ticked off and put a regular wax seal in, like on a house toilet, and it's been sealing well for about 4 years.

When I put it in I used a slide coupling from Lowe's that has 2 rubber seals, it fit's tightly inside a 3" standard PVC waste pipe.

So far, the biggest problem I've had is that the foot peddle is starting to leak at times. It's a wonderful feeling at 03:00 to put your foot on the pedal and have it peee on you. Especially when the water is only about 35.

I have nothing against China toilets, Mexican toilets, Greek toilets, or even German toilets....... I just want to be comfortable and do my thing when it's needed.

Oh, another thing about the toilet I'm using.... it holds about 4 oz. of water in the bowl, which means the seal doesn't leak at the knife blade. If your's is leaking, get yourself a long shafted skinny flat blade screw driver, heat it up about 2" form the blade and bend it 90. Then take a pair of vice grips and turn the blade on about a 30 angle. This will let you clean out the slot the knife valve fits in.

I think if I remember correctly, the toilet is rated for about 350 Lbs. which is plenty for the normal person. But don't hold me to that figure or I'll post my thong pictures again!

Dallas
Dreamscape

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »

"But don't hold me to that figure or I'll post my thong pictures again!"'

OMG NO! I am still having a hard time with that image. Grin

Paul
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »

I key word here is EVAPORATION of the water from the P trap, at which time it gets VERY unplesant.>>>Dan

If the bus is sitting long enough for the trap to empty just dump either mineral oil or RV antifreeze in the toilet.  I think Rv antifreeze would work better personally.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dallas

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »

Cover your Eyes!

"But don't hold me to that figure or I'll post my thong pictures again!"'

OMG NO! I am still having a hard time with that image. Grin

Paul
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »

I have read where some people put a couple of bricks in a standard toilet to reduce the amount of water required to fill the tank. They indicated that it worked fine with the reduced amount of water. Also indicated that there was no sloshing problem.

I've been a guest at homes in drought areas where sombody put bricks or other objects in the tank to reduce water consumption.  It worked fine for liquid or light stuff, but give them something serious to flush and they just weren't able to move it through.

I really do not see that sloshing water out of the toiled would be a problem. Possibly it would empty the trap level enough to allow flumes up into the coach.

I would encourage anyone considering using a house type toilet to try the following test to determine if it fits their suspension ride and driving habits.

1/3 fill a clean plastic dishpan.  Place it on some towels on the floor of the bus.  Use some bricks or other heavy objects to block it in to keep it from sliding.  Drive a few miles with it like that.  Do some realistic braking scenarios (not suggesting panic stops, just various realistic situations), go over some speed humps, through some driveway dips, etc.  Afterward, if the towels are still dry, you should be fine with a house style toilet from a sloshing standpoint.

Dallas

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »

Nothing against China toilets, but we rinse the dishes in a tub, or, that is to say, Cat does. Then when you need to drop the kids at the pool, pour some of the water from the dish pan into the toilet. It reuses water otherwise wasted and helps the kids slide on down the tube!
47FLXclipper

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 06:04:21 PM »

a composting toilet not only eliminates all water use, but also the need for the plumbing and a black tank, well worth the extra cost .... works for me

Bill

1947 Flxible Clipper on Vancouver Island
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »

Does anyone have experience with the use of a composting toilet in a RV?
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »

as with most things it comes down to maintenance.

had a Dometic R/V toilet in my 04 had a valve go bad on it twice in 30 years.  no other issues.
bergdoll

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »

i just got a Jameco TT6000 one piece toilet for my house/shack at Lowes ($149.) & that is exactly what i will put in my bus to replace the Thetford... same "rough in". my bus rides pretty smooth. i am going to change all of my plumbing to PEX. by the way, a bus is a lot easier to convert to a motorhome than to remodel a hose/shack!?! at least the floor is square! i am remodeling a house/shack i bought in muncie, Indiana for $7,000. (yeah, seven thousand) but it was built by a "brain-dead moron" who should have never-ever built anything!?! now i just have to deal with the real morons who work for the city/county assesors ofc. who are trying to tax me to death...

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: