Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 08:46:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V730 Operating Questions  (Read 328 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

After returning from a 5000 mi trip I now have become a lot better acquainted with my V730, my first AT bus. It has the electric toggle switch shifter on a GMC PD4107 w/8V71.

Some observations;

As far as I can tell it only shifts two times from dead stop, once at 25 mph and once at 50 mph. I assume the second shift is the lockup in third?

On grades it will shift down (Unlock?) at 46 to 47 but I started moving it to second at 53-54 to keep up revs. This seems to be the only time I have any control.

If I move it to first at any speed or from any other position nothing changes? I tried to use TomC's shift down to first lockup but never was able to use anything but third unlock. It would only shift down to first if I stopped and never exceeded 25 mph?

At the grade crest it will shift back into 3rd lockup at 50 no matter what position the selector is in?  Sometimes if I have a lot of throttle it won't shift until 55-56. The first and second shifter positions don't hold it in those gears like I expected?

The sooner I shift down the less it overheats the engine which happened coming east out of Laramie, WY. Cooled right down after a short stop.

All the posts I've read about first and second lockups don't seem to apply to my trans. If they are working they are so subtle I don't notice them.

The shifter failed two times just after I had cleared heavy traffic! Talk about luck! It had shown some signs of problems a couple of times before but always worked after some repeated movement. I found the very small wires connected to the shifter solenoid on the trans were loose. The screws holding the wires are 1/4" Hex head and just about impossible to reach, a real pain.They need star washers but I'm afraid I won't be able to get them back on if I remove them!!

The trans temp gage shows normal temps of 220 and up to 240 on hard pulls. However, when I check  the trans with my IR thermometer it is never above 200*F and cooler lines or oil lines are never above 170-180 so I figure the gage is out of whack because of the long leads to it. I have the same problem with my engine heat gage also.

Any experiences like mine or any ideas?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: