Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2015, 01:50:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V730 Operating Questions  (Read 383 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »

After returning from a 5000 mi trip I now have become a lot better acquainted with my V730, my first AT bus. It has the electric toggle switch shifter on a GMC PD4107 w/8V71.

Some observations;

As far as I can tell it only shifts two times from dead stop, once at 25 mph and once at 50 mph. I assume the second shift is the lockup in third?

On grades it will shift down (Unlock?) at 46 to 47 but I started moving it to second at 53-54 to keep up revs. This seems to be the only time I have any control.

If I move it to first at any speed or from any other position nothing changes? I tried to use TomC's shift down to first lockup but never was able to use anything but third unlock. It would only shift down to first if I stopped and never exceeded 25 mph?

At the grade crest it will shift back into 3rd lockup at 50 no matter what position the selector is in?  Sometimes if I have a lot of throttle it won't shift until 55-56. The first and second shifter positions don't hold it in those gears like I expected?

The sooner I shift down the less it overheats the engine which happened coming east out of Laramie, WY. Cooled right down after a short stop.

All the posts I've read about first and second lockups don't seem to apply to my trans. If they are working they are so subtle I don't notice them.

The shifter failed two times just after I had cleared heavy traffic! Talk about luck! It had shown some signs of problems a couple of times before but always worked after some repeated movement. I found the very small wires connected to the shifter solenoid on the trans were loose. The screws holding the wires are 1/4" Hex head and just about impossible to reach, a real pain.They need star washers but I'm afraid I won't be able to get them back on if I remove them!!

The trans temp gage shows normal temps of 220 and up to 240 on hard pulls. However, when I check  the trans with my IR thermometer it is never above 200*F and cooler lines or oil lines are never above 170-180 so I figure the gage is out of whack because of the long leads to it. I have the same problem with my engine heat gage also.

Any experiences like mine or any ideas?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: