Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 04:20:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2.2 Million for Two Buses! Marathon Coach?  (Read 5269 times)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »

That's the way to do it. Some of us may disagree on politics but at least we can laugh at ourselves instead of acting like little kids fighting over the last chocolate bar. So true about Bush and Obama and their ears.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

Seems that I may have created a stir.... When I first noticed it was a Prevost, I sent an email to the editors of The Blaze regarding an American President riding around in a Canadian built bus with links to the relevant info. Low and behold, they did a story on it today.

Did you suggest another USA made coach they could have purchased?  Probably not, because I'm pretty sure no coach bus is made in the USA.  If I remember correctly MCI coaches start life at the plant in Winnipeg and then are transferred to Pembina, North Dakota for final completion.

If nobody makes something in the USA I would much rather they buy from Canada than from China.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »

Seems that I may have created a stir.... When I first noticed it was a Prevost, I sent an email to the editors of The Blaze regarding an American President riding around in a Canadian built bus with links to the relevant info. Low and behold, they did a story on it today.

Did you suggest another USA made coach they could have purchased?  Probably not, because I'm pretty sure no coach bus is made in the USA.  If I remember correctly MCI coaches start life at the plant in Winnipeg and then are transferred to Pembina, North Dakota for final completion.

If nobody makes something in the USA I would much rather they buy from Canada than from China.

Somebody, somewhere, in the USA must make a motorcoach suitable for the Potus.... Not necessarily a bus conversion per say but an American made product he could use, (since i doubt he's like, actually using it for anything other than rolling into a town.... not like he and the family are out camping in it or anything... right?)

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »

Don't be to tough on him the bus does have the piece of crap D13 engine built in the USA lol

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »

If you were buying a bus for your conversion would you choose a fiberglass shell on top of a Freightliner or Spartan chassis or a real bus like an MCI or a Prevost?  I guess they could have used a transit bus as they still make those in the USA.  They probably need all the bays for communications equipment and a generator and batteries to run it all.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »

Hundred amp Clifford?

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »

They could of bought him a new Dina. They are still produced in S. America ! LOL!

ducking again! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »

I thought they were building Eagles over in Oklahoma? What about a Newell or something? Surely someone in this freakin country could build a one off custom coach for the Prez for $1.1 million.

I wouldnt have a problem with an MCI, its more American than anything else on the road.

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »

Like I said, MCI is based in IL. That's Obama's home state. If they replace Airforce 1 with a non BOEING(Chicago based) aircraft, then we'll just confirm that he doesn't show loyalty.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »

Most of you American bus nuts have foreign buses, (except Eagles), so what is wrong with your President using one?

Just to stir this pot a little, LOL.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:54 AM »

I doubt that the President is the one who decides what brand of plane/bus/limo is going to be used. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »

Silver Eagle is based in Tennesee now.  My understanding is they haven't produced any buses since they moved from Texas.  Everybody wants the government to cut spending yet they want government to order a completely custom bus just to have it made in the USA and it would probably cost more to boot.  A lot of vendors charge government extra because of all the extra red tape to sell them anything.

At one point the Air Force was seriously considering an Airbus as a replacement for Air force One.  The issue was that Airbus makes a larger plane than Boeing.  If they went with something like an A380 they would restrict the choice of airports.  The 747 can land at more places than the A380.

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »

Could it be as simple as going with the lowest bidder?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »

Ours is a Belgium built Eagle, with a USA drive-train. So there ya go! Roll Eyes

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »

Could it be as simple as going with the lowest bidder?

Don't government request for bids almost always take the low bid all other things being equal?  I don't know if there are preferences given for made in the USA.  I remember when the Pentagon wanted to order a whole bunch of berets a number of years back.  The only manufacturer that could meet the deadline was Chinese.  I don't recall if they ended up buying them or not.

There are plenty of manufacturers who have right on their website the specific terms to put in a bid request so only their equipment will meet the requirements of the request for bids.  If the Secret Service specifically wanted a Prevost and not just a coach bus they could have made the requirements tailored so only a Prevost would qualify.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: