Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 08:14:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $300 worth of ATF down the ATF down the drain!  (Read 2653 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »

My brand new hose for my transmission is leaking through the crimp!  $300 worth of flipping ATF down the drain!  Cry 

I'm mad I could spit nails right now.  No, I don't have any clean way to capture the seven gallons of ATF I'm going to lose.  The 5 gallon bucket  from the new ATF won't fit under the transmission and it isn't big enough anyhow.

I guess I better go clean up my mess outside and head over to the Freightliner dealer for another 7 gallons of ATF.

I thought the black cloud over my head had departed, but I guess not.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

Aww, shucks B. Sorry to hear that. I would think a little harder on how to save the ATF. Maybe just crack the line a little, then let it run out into a smaller container. Rig up a little HF drill powered pump, and pump it into a bigger container.

I do that with used engine oil.

FWIW

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:43:16 PM »

A  NEW kerosene hand pump can by used to pump it from a drain pain.  Just think about it for a minute,,, theres always a way Grin

O they also make a pump that goes down your didpstick tube to suck out oil.....

Eric
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »

I thought about it for a few more minutes and I ended up digging a hole under the transmission and getting the clean 5 gallon bucket under there to collect the fluid.  Only about 4 gallons came out so the rest must be in the cooler and lines.  The fluid comes out under such pressure it is nearly impossible to stop or switch containers.

The top of the bucket was not pristine clean and some of the dirt may have been swept into the bucket.  Can I run it through a paint filter to get an possible dirt out, or should I just bite the bullet and pay another $179 ($193 with tax) for a fresh 5 gallon bucket of ATF?

The good news is the rest of the engine ran fine and no oil or coolant leaks.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »

I have went as far as to use a 12 volt fuel pump with a inline fuel filter to "clean" fluid so that I can reuse it.

Eric
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »

Stink...I feel for you...if I were there, I'd volunteer to switch buckets for you as they filled  Undecided

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »

Brian,
Buddy I feel for you I really do!
But oh how I wish you'd took a minute while you were "cooling down" to call and ask me how I'd do it.
I'd told ya to get a plastic barrel and cut it off about a foot to 15" high and it will hold a full 10 gallons!

Another way is to run to Autozone, O'Riellys, Advance (or what ever your local discount parts place is or Walmart and buy 2-3 of the yellow oil drain pans with the handle on one side and pour spout on the other. They hold 3.5-4 gallons. I usually start one filling and as it nears 3/4 full I use the next one to push the full one out as I push the empty one under. 

Sorry too late now. But yes I'd run it thru a filter/strainer an reuse it
Sad  BK  Sad

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »

I went to the Freightliner dealer and spent another $80 on two more gallons of ATF.  I'm going to run the stuff I pulled out this evening through a paint strainer just in case it got any dirt in it.  I'll probably lose at least a few quarts from the hose and the cooler.

Every day it seems I run onto another stupid issue that pushes my project completion back a few days.  This latest fiasco will add two or three more days.  I doubt I can get the hose out and to the hydraulic shop for replacement before they close at 5 pm tomorrow.  I tried to get the hose out this evening, but it was really starting to get dark and the mosquitoes were out in force.  It is also supposed to rain tomorrow which won't help.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 03:44:25 AM »

Why not try and get the shop that did the fittings on the hose to pay for their mistake? If it were me, you can bet they wouldnt of heard the last from me about losing the atf from their dumbness!
Now if it were your fault, suck it up and filter it and replace what is needed at your expense!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
blank

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:49:14 AM »

$40 Gal for ATF? Is that something special thats required for your Trans?

Didnt your Bus came with Aeroquip hose ends? 
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:23 AM »

$40 Gal for ATF? Is that something special thats required for your Trans?

Didnt your Bus came with Aeroquip hose ends? 

That's what I was thinking! If I didn't have Aeroquip hose ends I would buy some. I am 40 miles from civilization so I keep hose & ends at the shop.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »

Yes guys Transynd synthetic tranny fluid runs about $40  a gallon. And it is what Allison recommends is run a B500 series transmission.

As for the Areoquip hose  ends I doubt Brians bus came with them.

And I seriously doubt Brian wants to store a bunch of extra fittings & such.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »

I'm just curious - how much pressure is this line that leaked under?  I have assembled hundreds of hose ends of different sorts and I have never had an end leak.  In particular a crimped on end - I don't do them myself, I get the hose shop to crimp the ends.  I just kind of want to understand how this failure happened so I can watch out for it.  The only thing I can think of is somehow the end that was put on was not designed for use with the hose type.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:21 AM »

I got a bulletin from Allison a couple years ago Dexron is no longer approved for use in the World transmissions neither is C-4

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:55 AM »

I got a bulletin from Allison a couple years ago Dexron is no longer approved for use in the World transmissions neither is C-4

Yup you got it Clifford, that is why we run the high dollar Transynd. (trying to squeeze every last mile out of these short life trannys!)
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: