Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 07:42:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will traces of hydraulic fluid hurt an Allison B500?  (Read 1640 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

The hydraulic shop tested my transmission cooler hose with hydraulic fluid.  Will the little bit of remaining fluid be harmful to my Allison B500 transmission?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
blank

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »

Maybe? That Transmission costs how much to replace? Flush the hose with solvent/paint thinner and blow it out with air. Problem solved. Or put it on and take your chances.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »

No Brian a little hydro fluid is not going to even be traceable in your system.

What was the verdict on the hose/crimps?

BTW JFYI trans fluid and hydro are basically the same thing, just different mixture.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »

I was pretty sure hydraulic fluid wouldn't hurt anything, but I wanted to ask.

The hydraulic shop wants to look at the fitting from the cooler if I can get out without removing the whole cooler.  I needed to get to work this morning so I didn't get it there today.  I will be home from work around 1:30 pm tomorrow so I am going to see what I can do then.  I do have an idea on how to get the hose to still work since they have to make it two inches shorter with a new fitting.

I will definitely have them test the hose this time before I take it home and try it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »

No-the transmission doesn't know the difference between hydraulic fluid, automatic transmission fluid, even 15W-40 engine oil-all of which have been run in Allison transmissions.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »

A acquaintance that manages a Kenecks parts store told me that all ATF was synthetic and always had been.  Comments on that?

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »

Transmission fluid is hydraulic fluid with dye in it. There are some with additives in it That is why you have type f for fords. It has to do with the seals and o-rings. Do not flush it with solvents. The solvents can leave residue that can be 10x more harmful than whatever kind of fluid they used. if worried use your trans fluid to flush it with.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »

I find it hard to believe that all ATF is synthetic, but it could be true.  Fleet Farm sells ATF for $2 a quart.  I find it hard to believe that at half the price or less of synthetic oil that it would be synthetic.

Unfortunately, the hydraulic shop couldn't test my hose this afternoon as I went in at 4:30 pm and everyone but the one guy were gone already.  I'm going to reinstall the hose right now and hope everything is good this time.

kevink1955

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »

As long as it's not brake fluid it will be fine, ever see what brake fluid does to incompatable rubber seals. I have heard of people adding small amounts of brake fluid to car transmissions to swell the seals and stop a leak from worn seals.

It's like the old saw dust trick to get it off the used car lot.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

I've used brake fluid to make transmissions pull... They don't last long after that tho.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 10:08:47 PM »

Transmission fluid is hydraulic fluid with dye in it. There are some with additives in it That is why you have type f for fords. It has to do with the seals and o-rings. Do not flush it with solvents. The solvents can leave residue that can be 10x more harmful than whatever kind of fluid they used. if worried use your trans fluid to flush it with.

Eddie,

Just off the top, I don't think that is true.  I have looked at charts that listed the flash points for oils and (as I recall, now) hyd fluid and ATF were two different animals.  I am sure you are correct about F not working in a Dextron trans due to seal problems and vise verse.

Solvents will certainly screw you up.  Solvents are many times not identifiable as to what is in them.  Acetone, methanol A, paint thinner AKA "mineral Spirits and that covers a host of pourable substances.  Your advice on using ONLY ATF for anything inside a trans is rock solid.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:24 PM »

I find it hard to believe that all ATF is synthetic, but it could be true.  Fleet Farm sells ATF for $2 a quart.  I find it hard to believe that at half the price or less of synthetic oil that it would be synthetic.

Unfortunately, the hydraulic shop couldn't test my hose this afternoon as I went in at 4:30 pm and everyone but the one guy were gone already.  I'm going to reinstall the hose right now and hope everything is good this time.

This came up in a discussion about synthetic needing to withstand really high temps and the abuses that happen in the innards of a auto trans.  My comment was "I wonder how much syn is in ATF and if it might be a cheap source of that lube.  His answer was that all ATF is Syn.  I don't know but I looked at the ATF cans and all said "petroleum product".  The "Syn ATF" was spendy and also said "petro product".  I guess we need somebody with bonyfides....I ain't it.

"I.....hard to believe".  You can talk plainer than that Amigo.  "John, that is Bull shiXX"   would work just as well.  Huh Cheesy Grin  Thanks for the "softeners". Cool  Kiss

John
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:21:00 PM by JohnEd » Logged

—Pla
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »

I'm not going to tell anyone that their answer is BS since I don't know for certain that ATF isn't all synthetic.  I know the $40 a gallon stuff my B500 uses is synthetic, but it better be at that price.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 07:39:39 AM »

All oil used in engines and transmissions are petroleum products.  Synthetic oil is petroleum product that is refined to have more consistant molecular sizing to make it more slippery (think ball bearings-regular petroleum has different sized ball bearings, synthetic are all the same sized-hence it is more slippery).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »

I'm not going to tell anyone that their answer is BS since I don't know for certain that ATF isn't all synthetic.  I know the $40 a gallon stuff my B500 uses is synthetic, but it better be at that price.

Brian,

You aren't the type to be harsh or abrupt to that degree and I think all here know that. That was the kernel of humor.  Get it?  OR "If you aren't going to call them on it could you at least slap their face?"  Oh, well, its either funny just a little or it isn't.

I know the $40 a gallon stuff my B500 uses is synthetic, but it better be at that price.
   Boy, howdy....if only that were the acid test of validity...expensive or uncommon or both.  I would be right there along side you on this, however.  If I had a trans that spendy I would probably pour anything in there that the mfr. said to.  I would also be having the oil analyzed every 10 or 20 K miles or ?

John

—Pla
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: