Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 10:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a 8V71 (non turbo) a dealbreaker?  (Read 3467 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »

Wolverine,
Yes that is a common problem with the skinner valve/shut down cylinders. (1/2 the time they act up this way, and the other 1/2 they act up where they won't shut it down!)

But it's not a major issue.

I believe it still has the stock sides from looking @ the window openings. (but I could be wrong, especially from looking at a picture that is not "close up")

It appears to be well done and I'd say if the price is right it should be a decent bus.

Now if it even slightly resembled the "White Elephant" of our past enjoyment of the series of lies and pour choice of modifications I would be screaming RUN RUN RUN!

I wish I knew where to look to find a link to it without spending a day or 2 searching for it.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »

Sorry the link to the ebay add no longer works but here is 1 of the many threads where we discussed the "white elephant" I was referring too.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=7414.0

Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Jamie T.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »

Thanks for the input BK!  At first when I saw the pictures, it didn't stand out.  I wanted to look at it just to get more experince with these buses and it really impressed me.

What's your thoughts on his asking price?  Mileage on engine?  

1980 TMC-9
Allison 740
Turtle Lake, WI (1 Hr NE of Minneapolis)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »

I had to go back & look as I'd not paid attn to his asking price or the mileage.

OK I really hate to say it because it looks like the guy did a very nice job on it and has spent some serious $ building it. But in this market the asking price is way too high!
I'm not saying it's not worth it, or that he doesn't have that much & more into it. But with the bus market being in the tanks these days, you can get just as much or more for less!

The drive train may have 187,000 on it. But I assure you that bus has seen many many many more miles than that. (not saying that is bad either)

It's a shame but in today's market the asking price is about 2-3 times higher than it will bring.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Jamie T.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Sometimes owners, especially those who have done the conversion themselves become too attached (and rightfully so) and won't acknowledge where the market is.  I don't think he is too motivated to sell, but if everything checks out when I look it over I'll get a real number and report back.  Worst case, I get to spend a day crawling around/in a bus!

1980 TMC-9
Allison 740
Turtle Lake, WI (1 Hr NE of Minneapolis)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »

If you are ready to buy and looking for a seriously good deal you should check out this one.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/rvs/2488976485.html

for more discussion about it look here;
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=20934.msg228899#msg228899  and/or here; http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=21111.0

Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »

That looks nice to me, hard to tell for sure in the photos but if you've seen it in person you would know better.  It looks like an update kit to me.  The stainless that's gone is mostly non-structural, you can buy the kits for the front aspect.  the sides, I always felt that the thick aluminium riveted on below the windows and above the bay doors was structural, but maybe not.  No roof raise which speaks to a more solid chassis, and the roof appears stock front to back.  Just my thoughts.

Isn't the the signboard section of an MC9 steel?  I know I've seen plenty of 102A3s at ABC Bus here in Minnesota with rusted out signboards.  Maybe they changed between the 9 and the 102A3.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »

Isn't the the signboard section of an MC9 steel?  I know I've seen plenty of 102A3s at ABC Bus here in Minnesota with rusted out signboards.  Maybe they changed between the 9 and the 102A3.

No on the 9 they hung in the top of the right side windshield and on the 96A, 102A, & C models they had their own top windshield. I think you are thinking of NJT's big ugly sign boards which were built into the ugly fiberglass caps!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »

If you are happy and the bus checks out mechanically then I say spend your money the way you want. Make sure the BOSS is comfortable and the rest should be a cake walk. I too am always interested in seeing other "projects" or general living conditions to give me an idea of how well someone takes care of their toys.

Look forward to seeing more pictures with you standing in front of the bus with the keys!!!

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 05:02:46 PM »

No on the 9 they hung in the top of the right side windshield and on the 96A, 102A, & C models they had their own top windshield. I think you are thinking of NJT's big ugly sign boards which were built into the ugly fiberglass caps!

What I have heard called the signboard is the section on the sides of the bus between the bays and the windows.  Bus companies often place the name of their company in large letters in this space.  One salesperson said that section could be replaced.  My thought was if the side of the bus is rusted completely through what does the rest of it look like?

It is my understanding that section is painted steel at least on the 102A3.  I don't know if the 9 is aluminum or not, but I doubt it.

What you are describing is the destination sign.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »

The section between the bays and the windows along the sides, in my MC-5C, the same year as that bus, is heavy gauge aluminium rivited to a mild steel frame.  Very structural.  MC-9 is probably identical.  It's not steel but the aluminium can corrode.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »

Quote from: belfert
What I have heard called the signboard is the section on the sides of the bus between the bays and the windows.  Bus companies often place the name of their company in large letters in this space.  One salesperson said that section could be replaced.  My thought was if the side of the bus is rusted completely through what does the rest of it look like?

It is my understanding that section is painted steel at least on the 102A3.  I don't know if the 9 is aluminum or not, but I doubt it.

What you are describing is the destination sign.

Yeah yer right I misread what you were talking about. But I can tell you that the MCI is not steel. We had some magnetic signs for temp use and they would not work on an MCI we had to hang a piece of sheet metal under the trim to use them on an MCI. But the stuck right to a Setra! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 04:00:39 AM »

The section between the bays and the windows along the sides, in my MC-5C, the same year as that bus, is heavy gauge aluminium rivited to a mild steel frame.  Very structural. 
Brian

I dont know about yours or a MC9, but my MC5B skin is all stainless at least up to the windows. And its non magnetic. I'm assuming the roof is aluminum.
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 06:03:14 AM »

So, y'all having another West Tennessee gathering and trying to sneak it by me.

Well - a'int gonna happen.  My friend in LA (lower alabama) keeps me up-to-date on these such things.

Gloria and I are coming, even if we have to leave the Eagle and slide over in the GMC.

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 06:07:25 AM »

If you like the coach get it! We have an 8v71N in our Eagle, it's slow on the hills but who cares. Enjoy the scenery and ride, you'll get to the top! Of course a Turbo would make it really go, but then I'm not in a race! I can run pretty good on the flats, faster than I want to go. We like to scoot at 65-70 mph, plenty fast enough for me!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: