Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 06:57:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a 8V71 (non turbo) a dealbreaker?  (Read 3669 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »

If the sides of an MCI are not steel I wonder what was up with the MCIs I saw down at ABC Bus back in 2006?  They were definitely rusted through below the windows and above the bays as the holes were brown/orange just like corroded steel.  Maybe the sides had been replaced with steel?

I believe you guys who say they aren't steel from the factory.  I don't have an MCI so I can't check my bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 06:19:59 AM »

A 8v71 is not a bad engine just blind it so it can't see the hills in front of you and it will do fine lol those engines have pushed buses across the USA for years they always get you there and back home

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »

had 8v71n got me there 6.8 mpg  have 8v92 turbo gets me there fast 5 mpg  have 60 serries with 10 spd eaton autoshift hoping for 7mpg will get me there.  point  being   They all got me there and I enjoyed the ride and had a great time once there.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 06:59:50 AM »

If the sides of an MCI are not steel I wonder what was up with the MCIs I saw down at ABC Bus back in 2006?  They were definitely rusted through below the windows and above the bays as the holes were brown/orange just like corroded steel.  Maybe the sides had been replaced with steel?
I believe you guys who say they aren't steel from the factory.  I don't have an MCI so I can't check my bus.

Brian, factory MC9's were stainless from the luggage bay up to the beltline, then aluminum for the letterboard area, then aluminum window frames and aluminum roof with fiberglass front and rear caps. (roof caps, not face caps). The only steel in the coach was the mild steel frame underneath those skins. The aluminum can and does corrode right through, but the only orange rusty color you would see would be the mild steel underneath the corroded aluminum beginning to rust and leaking it's rusty water out onto the aluminum sheet.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 07:10:17 AM »

So, y'all having another West Tennessee gathering and trying to sneak it by me.

Well - a'int gonna happen.  My friend in LA (lower alabama) keeps me up-to-date on these such things.

Gloria and I are coming, even if we have to leave the Eagle and slide over in the GMC.

No Gary we ain't try'n to slip nothin' over on anybody.
It will be publicized when we get it more together. But yes Don & I are gonna co-host one next yr here in Huntingdon in the fall probably around Oct.

Everybody will be welcome! (and you and Gloria don't have to wait for a gathering, your welcome to stop in anytime!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 07:19:40 AM »

One of the main reasons I turbocharged my 8V-71 was the smoking issue in altitudes over 5,000ft and less power.  But-I also only have a V730 three speed which with my 4.56 rear end and combined torque amplication of the 2.56 torque converter with 1.77 1st gear gives me an overall starting ratio of 20.66.  Assuming you have the popular 3.70 gears, with the HT754CR starting gear of 3.692 (same as the HT740), 2 to one torque converter, your combined starting gear ratio would be 27.3 to one.  And you have an over 5 to one reverse compared to the V730's reverse that's more like 2nd gear (I went 40mph in reverse one time in a big parking lot-and could have gone faster but chickened out).  I wouldn't be afraid of taking your bus into the mountains-it will be slow-like sometimes 10-20mph, but you'll get there.  
Turbo'ing the 8V-71 REALLY wakes it up. And, like what Don Fairchild thinks too, I believe the 71 series is much tougher then the 92 series.  With the 71's dry cylinder liners you don't have to worry so much about coolant acidity as with the 92 series wet cylinder liners that can and do pit.
If you're going to keep the bus for many years-the best would be to convert to a modern 4 stroke engine.  The Cummins ISL at 450hp and 1200lb/ft torque is a good one along with the Cummins ISM that can be turned up to 500hp and 1550lb/ft torque.  Then you'll have a runner that gets over 10mpg.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 09:08:50 AM »

8V71 is a lovely engine to get you there.

If your manhood is at stake, get out your wallet?

In a light, stock configured MC8, a stock 8V71 with the 270 hp setting with the 4 speed Allison 740 will climb the 6% interstate grade called Fancy Gap in the east in 3rd gear someplace close to 44 mph at its worst. Elevation is still down where it can breath...

A loaded MCI 102EL3 Renaissance loaded with a kids baseball team and all their stuff for spring training, with DD Series 60 400hp and 6 speed Allison World transmission climbs the same hill somewhere close to 50 mph in either 4th or 5th, only change is the temperature gauge.

With the same load, I expect that the MC8 would need to drop to the top of 2nd gear and run somewhere between 30 and 35 mph.

Higher elevations, the thinning air will degrade the 8V71, and the S50 will just keep pulling due to the turbo compensating for thin air by stuffing that much more in.

Apples and Oranges, but anyway, some real world experience to help with your guestimating.

What percentage of your time is spent climbing, and what are the costs for designing/choosing the coach for that really short time operational environment?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 09:22:23 AM »

I would not say that the non-turbo 8v71 is a deal killer if you know the limitations and are prepared to accept them or deal with them.  I do not think that I would buy another one though.  In California, one does spend a lot of time climbing hills, often in high altitudes.  It is not a great engine for those conditions.  However, driving is only one part of the hobby.  Living in it is another.  Cost is yet another.  One compromises and balances as they like.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Jamie T.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »

I think the 8V71 would be just fine.  When it is all said and done, mountain driving is such a small percentage of the overall miles.  Just plan accordingly and enjoy the ride up!

1980 TMC-9
Allison 740
Turtle Lake, WI (1 Hr NE of Minneapolis)
harley86
1977 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »

I bought a 1977 eagle with a DD8V71N  with plans of upgrading to a 4 stroke cummins in the future but have changed my mind. The 8V71N is no hot rod by any means. However the more I researched it the more I love the old green leaker for a few reasons

1) No electronics KISS (keep it simple stupid)
2) No Turbo one less thing to put me on the side of the road
3) Reliability
4) All the cutting and changes to convert to a cummins

From what I can gather from everyone I talk to and my truck driving experience 30 years ago the 8V71 runs great on the flats and crawls up the hills however if you drive it right and do the proper maintaince it is very reliable

Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »

Been running an 871 in our mc9 for 10 years with no major problems. Ran it from florida to Cheyenne, Wyoming but went slow up hill. Was also glad A friend told me to add misters to the radiators. Long graduall inclines slow down rpms and heating up a bit. If I ever get a differant bus it will have a 4 stroke engine for sure. Marc
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: