Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 01:54:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She fired right up  (Read 830 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »

I got home yesterday and saw a box at the gate.  I knew it was my viton hose from Mass.  So I got to work and worked unitl I was about to pass out from the heat in the barn.  It was 104 so I would imagine the inside of the barn was bumping 110.  I made some good headway.  I got home tonight and finished putting the finishing touches on putting her all back together again.  I left the final fuel hose to the racks and the return fuel line off.  I took a bottle of 90 weight gear oil and filled it with diesel.  I then used that pointed end of the bottle and stuck it in the fitting to the fuel line.  I just held it upright and squeezed it until the fuel ran out of the return line.  I hooked them both up and hit the starter.  She fired right up, coughed a little bit and then started purring.  That job is done!! I believe if I had to do it again I could do the tear down and put it back together in one day.  I know what to take off and how to get it off now so it would not be near as bad. 

Grin Back on the road Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »

Well, for everyones benefit, you invented a new way to prime a Detroit: with a bottle of gear oil. Good idea!

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

There was only about an inch of gear oil left in there so I just filled the rest up with fuel.  I saw it there and thought why not.  Worked like a charm.  I got the idea from changing the tranny fluid on my wife's Jetta.  The only port to the tranny is on the bottom and you have to pump the fluid in through the bottom.  It was a $400 dollar fluid change at the dealer.  i got online and saw where guys were making there own fill tubes with a brass 14mm threaded hose barb fitting.  It took a long time to run the fluid in by gravity but saves a whole lot of money.    So the gear bottle was there and well you know, I gave it a shot.

www.snakebreaker.com
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »

I do admire you working on your coach in that heat. Where I live, this summer, 70 degrees is considered warm. Don't know what 80 degrees means, but it would probably be too hot to do any work.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »

If you look way back in the archives of this board you will find where I used to recommend using a gear oil or dish soap bottle. I've used both many times works like a charm and easy to come by in a pinch.

Good job Wayne.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »

Re: the Jetta trans drain and refill. The fill plug is located below the starter. 17 MM plug on both. You need a (about) two foot flexible hose on the end of the funnel to get to the fill hole.  Rule of thumb from a local VW mechanic is to change the tranny fluid when you change out the timing belt. Of course you replaced the water pump while it was exposed. You did didn't you? Roll Eyes

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »

Re: the Jetta trans drain and refill. The fill plug is located below the starter. 17 MM plug on both. You need a (about) two foot flexible hose on the end of the funnel to get to the fill hole.  Rule of thumb from a local VW mechanic is to change the tranny fluid when you change out the timing belt. Of course you replaced the water pump while it was exposed. You did didn't you? Roll Eyes

Bill

I didn't but the guy who changed my timing belt did Kiss

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: