Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Chair Rail from MC9 - good or bad  (Read 858 times)
SRide

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2006, 10:58:33 AM »

We're converting an MC9 and are thinking about removing the chair rail...before we spend hours grinding off spot welds, will that affect the structural integrity of the coach?
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 11:12:47 AM »

Lot's of the Busnuts has done it. Some have not. Cannot see any struct. problems as it is tacked on top of a 18 ga sheet metal. Drive a wedge under the rail close to each tack & use a cut off wheel and it will pop. Took less than 4 hrs to remove both but I was busy. I didn't want to cut the new plywood to fit rails or dato out. I used countersunk metal screws & liquid nails. Should provide plenty of structure.  Ray
SRide

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:50:36 PM »

Thanks!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »

I concur with Ray.  Easy to remove if the floor is already out.  Follows Ray's method of wedging and cutting. Use a cutoff wheel to make the cut and then grind off the welds.

I've welded pieces of it back in strategic places to bolt my seats to. Works great. Allows some adjustment and seat belts are sturdy. Could be used for fridge, cabinets, bed, etc.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: