Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:37:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Impact Wrench, Bus Air Question  (Read 3011 times)
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »

No bets on cobbled together from old propane tank or 50 years old, Dad kept it in the shed, I just put a new furnace fan motor on it compressors.
Brian

Your Dad did that too?  Mine let water build up in the system to the point that when It finally went it must have blown 3 gallons of water out the hole.
  I use my pancake compresser to air the bus system back by the wet drain in the engine compartment. I also use it to do the maintenance projects on the bus.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »

No, I was dumb even thought it was already mentioned...the emergency fill is a schrader valve that is not a source of air. Brian already said it. But I didn't get it. The bottom of the tank has a pull ring. So I removed the pull ring, installed an air hose to my pancake tank...then from my pancake tank to my gun. The 350 ft lbs torque of the gun isn't enough to get these bolts loose on the bearing. So, going to try leverage again. This is a bummer. I need a good impact wrench.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
blank

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »

A friend asked me to change the clutch in his daughters Honda prelude some years back. Piece of cake right? Yeah well, every bolt, from the axle nut, to the bell housing, was so tight I had to use a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a cheater pipe on every single bolt and nut, and broke several 6 point Craftsman sockets in the process. I dont know why none of the bolts didnt snap, they should have.

It may not be that your impact dont have enough oomph, it could be the moron who worked on it last overtightened everything, used locktight, or both. Either one can be bad, both is really bad.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »

Finally got it. Let the hose pressurize...then went at it. The gun worked hard, but got it finally. Thanks again so much for your help. The bearing is replaced, and we're about to start a 500 round-trip journey in our car for the weekend. Thanks again so much. Tapped into the tank drain under the driver's seat...it was dry when I first pulled the ring, so I'm pretty sure I was ok for the 10 minutes I was connected to it concerning moisture. What a relief! Smiley

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 03:45:17 AM »

glad to hear you got it done.  For future reference you are going to need a better impact gun for your bus....it will laugh at 350 ft/lb.  A decent 3/4" will really help.  I got this SK 3/4"
http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Air_Tools/Air_Impact_Guns/3_4_impact_guns/SK92141.htm?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=thefind
a few years back.  I thought I would just use it for my bus, but it has really helped with my work van and car  as well, and I was already running a 500 (600?) ft/lb 1/2" .  Last thing, you need a big punk tank/compressor tank ( 5 gals)  and a 1/2" hose to get a 3/4" to perform well.  I connect mine directly to the tank, bypassing the regulator and use the big quick connect fittings (the expensive ones, can't remember the size).  Hope you have a great trip, and when you get a chance study your bus manual, as all the air system stuff makes sense with a little study.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 07:41:23 AM »

Trace the air compressor feed line to the first air tank-that's the "wet" tank. I would NOT use air from that tank.  Then look for other tanks (my bus has 4 tanks) and use any of those tanks since the air will be much dryer then the "wet" tank.  Many air tanks will have more fittings then are used.  Either use an unused fitting, or just put a T into another fitting.  The best is to use a 1/2" hose to a 50ft retractable hose reel mounted in your bay.  Then you have instant air whenever you need it.  Course if your engine is in operative, you won't have the air.  That's why many have auxiliary electric air compressors also.  The Dewalt low pro contractor is nice-quieter then most.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »

If you feed your air tool oily wet from the tank, you'll know it because you get sprayed as it exits the tool via the exhaust.

Always fun in a garage environment with hoists.

Mechanic on shift before attaches one of those hanging airlines to the coach wet tank via the installed fitting and quarter turn valve to keep the suspension filled while up in the air - without draining the tank first - oily wet runs down into the loop of hose once the pressure equalizes... next guy plugs in his air gun without clearing the line... always makes it into his face for some reason...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nineforever
Nineforever

100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »

I recently purchased an electric impact < Makita > 1200 psi works great its a good alternative to air plug into your gen set . A Little pricy but very handy

Hyway 3 100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »

Don't know about MCIs but I plumbed a female quick connect fitting after a shutoff valve to my 4104 front aux tank to make it easy to fill with my shop compressor.

To make that same fitting serve as a source of air I connected two male quick connect fittings back to back with a short nipple. This makes the same connection a source or intake for air.

As you've found out, the drain tank/muffler at the compressor outlet is not a good air source since it is between the compressor and the check valve to the storage tanks. It only has air when the comp is running and then it pulsates.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 03:40:58 AM »

When volume and pressure are not quite enough. It also makes putting 110+ PSI into tires out of a bus air system that kicks out at 120 a sinch as well  Smiley

http://www.dickmantires.com/

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »

I've never used more than 90psi on my 4104 or 4107, don't understand the need for 110psi since these buses don't carry anything near  what they did with passengers and luggage?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: