Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 05:56:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding King Cruise to Air Throttle  (Read 2045 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »

TomC,

It has been determined by two posters that I have a V730 but it shifts exactly like a VS2-8,  starts in 1st (converter?), shifts to 2nd (lockup?) at 25 mph and, 3rd lockup at 50mph with no control of gears.  

The  shift control is a Stone-Bennett R-N-3-2-1 electric toggle.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:00:51 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »

Gus-to me it sounds like your torque converter is not locking up. Try this-course in first it should be in converter mode so the engine will rev up and down at any speed.  But when it shifts to second-try accelerating and releasing the pedal-does the engine stay at the same rpm, or does it come down to nearly idle?  Try in third too.  If the engine goes up and down in 2nd and 3rd gear when you release the accelerator, your torque converter clutch is not activating or is just plainly worn out.
If your torque converter does lockup in 2nd, the shift from 1st to 2nd will be a bit of a jolting shift.  If you determine that the torque converter is locking up in second and third and also the fact you don't have shift control, most likely you have a shift problem in the control valves in the transmission.  You usually have to drop the pan to get to the shift control valves-and that's a relatively easy job for a transmission shop.  Or you could do it, but if you goof it up somehow, then you'd have to tow the bus to the transmission shop anyway.  One way or another-I would have a qualified transmission shop that is very familiar with the V730 look at it.  They are very reliable transmissions normally.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »

I hope you guys have better luck with King cruise than I have.  I have had mine for 5-6 years and it never has worked.  Two shops and the factory guy named Steve have been unable to get it to work. The box is mounted on top of my 8V92.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:47 PM »

King Cruise has been very responsive to any issues and questions I have had.  I even got them to give me information on how to hook up an LED so I can tell when it is engaged.

When I first started I had problems making in do what I thought it should so I sent the unit back they checked it out and returned it to me.

The problem was that my air throttle also had air assist or something like that at the engine and I had to do what Tom did and mount it up front to actuate the pedal instead of the throttle linkage.

HTH

YMMV

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 06:45:07 PM »

If a King gets the right signal they work alway have for me

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
gus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »

Tom, I've never noticed the engine going to idle, it always seems to correspond to the speed of the bus. I'll have to check it out though because I wasn't looking closely for this.

It shifts smoothly at 25 then very hard at 50, the only two I can feel.

It is giving good service even though it doesn't appear to be shifting right. I agree that it is time to visit an Allison dealer!

Could uneven length air throttle and trans modulator lines cause these problems?

For a while I thought my panel shifter might be the problem but after reading chris4109's post from last year it appears to me that my plain MO-OFF-MO  toggle switch works fine and that the special panel is not necessary.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: