Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 09:35:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallis we might have a problem  (Read 1187 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »

I might have developed a little problem.  We took off last night and drove to the Walmart in Rpond rock, Texas and spent the night.  Got up and trained dogs until the heat just beat us up too bad.  Headed home and had no trouble.  I had to go down a long dirt road to get to the clinic which got white powder dirt all over the bus.  So I figured I would hit it with a power washer getting ready for the clinic tomorrow.  That is when I noticed the grease on the wheel.  I am guessing a seal has gone out and she is down again until I get it fixed.  Look at the pic and tell me what yall think.  Like is it really a seal and about how much to drive it to a shop and say "I want a seal put in there and call me when your done".  I am all project-ed out for right now.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »

Better pull the hub cover I think that is a axle gasket leak have your wife fix that one LOL look on the back side and see how wet it is

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »

I told her just what you told me to tell her, fix the dadbern thing and call me when it is done. Grin

How bad would you reckon an axle gasket will set me back.  If it is not too bad I think I will send it to the shop and have them do the brakes and the gasket at the same time.

I can't pull it today as I have got to get ready for tomorrow.  Tomorrow is going to be a butt kicker of a clinic.  We are expecting 75 to 100 dogs.  I guess I should be careful of what I ask for in the future. 

www.snakebreaker.com
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »

When my wheel seals leaked, (knock on wood) the evidence was on the inside of the wheels and between the duallys. Nothing came out on the visible side of the wheels. Maybe, if luck is on your side, it's just the gasket on the end of the axle housing. You'll know more if you pull the hub can off. From the picture it almost looks as if it might be coming out from between the can and wheel. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Will

PS- does she hire out? Grin Grin

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »

About a hours job depending on if you don't have any bad studs that need replacing probably 1 of the world famous silicone jobs done there on the hub and axle lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »

About a hours job depending on if you don't have any bad studs that need replacing probably 1 of the world famous silicone jobs done there on the hub and axle lol

good luck
Well thaat aint too bad.  Your probably right about the silicone job.  I wish I knew of this forum before I bought the bus.  I probably would have been a lot better educated about my purchase.

Clifford if you were drivng through the Sealy Brookshire area and needed this job done where would take your bus?

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »

When my wheel seals leaked, (knock on wood) the evidence was on the inside of the wheels and between the duallys. Nothing came out on the visible side of the wheels. Maybe, if luck is on your side, it's just the gasket on the end of the axle housing. You'll know more if you pull the hub can off. From the picture it almost looks as if it might be coming out from between the can and wheel. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Will

PS- does she hire out? Grin Grin

Of course!!!  She will take your moneyjust like she takes mine.

www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

Wal,

You can pull the axle without jacking it up.  The gasket is silicone in most of the ones I have seen apart.  I would install the paper were it me.  ON THE OTHER hand, if you are getting the brake drums turned you will have to pull that axle anyway so the shop could replace the seal for no labor and they were going to replace the axle gasket anyway.  Given you have a time problem, I would opt for the brake drum work as it will get you a bearing repack, seal, gasket and an inspection of the bearings and a bearing nut torque.

You are shooting your hubs with the temperature gun at stops....right?  I would sure be doing that after somebody opened up that wheel assy....even if the somebody were me and the bus were mine.

Good luck my friend.  Wish I were in one of you classes on a cool day.  My black Manchester Terriers are distressed by a 15 min walk in the noon day sun when it is only 80 out there.  Momma takes care of that while I tough it out in the heat pump climate while soaking up trons.  Strategy!

John
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:04:56 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

I have been praying for 80 degree weather!!

www.snakebreaker.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »

We had a horrible axle seal leak last weekend while on the way to TBR. Found a mechanic that said no problem to fix. I thought to myself, he doesn't know how old this girl is! He had to special order the seal, I asked him to get two. Found out that somewhere down the road by a PO it had spun a bearing. They had it machined and installed a shim and it had pushed the seal out causing the leak. I couldn't find a hub as it was discontinued many years ago. Charlies at Tejas had a used one still on an 01 and he was pretty proud of his price. We elected not to buy it and fixed what we had. It ran fine on the way home, at least no leaks. Ours was spewing out copious amounts of oil on the inside of the dual, I mean dripping profusely. Angry

I hope yours is easier to repair and you get rid of that nasty leak!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »

I hope so too.  I need that thing up and running like right now. 

www.snakebreaker.com
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »

Wal,
Even though you're "project-ed" out, you should have your wife at least pull the cap to see if it is the axle flange leaking.
Because:
A - If the axle is leaking it's also probably loose.
B - It won't do the axle and its hardware any favor to run loose, and in fact can lead to costly failure..
C - If the axle is loose, it won't be that big of a deal for your wife to just tighten things up, for now.

Ted

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:03:55 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:37:37 PM »

Man, you guys are mean to women.

I was talking to an outfit about hauling/towing a Bus. Said its straight time by the hour. If its on your nickle youll be paying $150 hour to remove that can to get to the axle so's they can tow it. While I do have Coach.net, in the off chance I get gigged for a tow, I pulled the cans and am runnin em nude.

Just think of the work ive saved my wife iffn she had to pull that axle. No jacking it up, no breaking loose all the lugs. Its just right out there in the open before God and man. Ya'll probably think them hubs are ugly dont ya. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: