Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 08:21:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I learned a lesson  (Read 997 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »

I stopped by the shop and checked out the bad tire issue.  I regularly inspect my tires before a trip.  Somehow I missed the bad spot on the tread side of my driver side tag.  To say the least it was about to go.  In 6 inch circle I could feel the wires in the tire.  It is strange as the tread is fine with the exception of that one spot.  I am guessing it was flat side down when I was checking my tires.  The rest of the tire is perfectly fine.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »

Once you have the brakes and everything else on the bogies properly adjusted, you might want to check the weight.  I think it's supposed to be 6000# but I'm not sure.  Not having them set right will cause the brakes to lock up and can destroy a tire in a very few miles.

If you can find some open road, it might be a good idea to have someone observe the bogies as you make some fairly brisk stops.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

When I talked to the mechanic he said he did a 40 to zero brake test as hard as he could.  He was watching the lite chrome lug nut covers and made sure the bogies weren't locking up.  I will check it tomorrow when I pick up the bus.

www.snakebreaker.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »

yes, the flat spot will be on the bottom when you inspect the tires because the tag tire slid to a stop on the same spot with every brake application.

A brake will grab in the same spot. Same as our bicycles did as kids.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

yes, the flat spot will be on the bottom when you inspect the tires because the tag tire slid to a stop on the same spot with every brake application.

A brake will grab in the same spot. Same as our bicycles did as kids.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
I think your right.  I can see the brakes trying to stop the tire and when the speed got low enough the flat spot would cause a a hang up spot. 

www.snakebreaker.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:29:43 AM »

Other way around, the brakes have the hang up spot, the tire is the victim, not the cause.

Hardcore PM, that tag drum needs to be checked for roundness.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: