Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:15:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well Son of a dadgum- I am ticked off  (Read 2760 times)
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »

Talk to the county, There must be a building code,   and a contractors license

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »

He is in Texas most places there don't require a license a contractor for building pole barns they do require a license for electrical plumbing work

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »

depends if there was a permit pulled and approved plans for the barn, and if the barn was built to the plans and the code.  I think a snap windstorm in that region is a bit of a grey area, as Clifford alluded to.  It could come to six-guns at dawn...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »

Good luck here. He has admitted wrong doing on his crew not using screws. So now he is on the defensive end. I have used ring shank nails and screws. the nails hold good when the right length and pattern are used but the screws better. The nails when nailed properly are near impossible to pull out of wood.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
ccbmster

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »

I built pole barns for years (several hundred) never had one go down with wind under 100mph and never put straps on any of them. In fact only lost one to a tornado that I know of.  should of never pulled trusses loose from post! I would ck to see how many nails/bolts he had holding them to post.   assuming it was a pole type barn. If it was block or stud wall it still should have had trusses anchored to walls.   Bob

Bob.....Are you sure you remember how you built those pole barns?   I mean, you say you built them for several hundred years so.....your memory might be starting to slip at this point   Grin Grin Grin Grin

86 MCI 102A3  MI/CA with SoCal being primary. 6V92 with Allison 740 Auto
82 MCI 9 8V71N with Allison 740 Auto..soon to be parted out or scrapped
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »

Not years but #'s  both  ag and commercial close to 300 pole and many more steel bldgs.  Good catch. on years I'd really be a old fart.  I hate to see someone loose a bldg on workmanship. Weather is another story. If the metal pulled off like he described it should have taken structure with it or left holes in the metal. I live in tornado alley and know wind sheer and up burst etc.  They do weird things.  Just didn't sound like what he described. Just got a feeling something not right here.  but have to admitt I'm not there to see it just trying to give him a idea what to look for.  Sad experience.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:03 PM »

I am still waiting for what roofing material was used me I prefer the lead head shank nails on corrugated steel they hold a lot better than screws

good   

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »

Hello Luvrbus!  My barn was made of wood with a tin skin.  At the base of the truss at the top of the side walls was a 2 by4 nailed on top of the trusses.  The roof tin was screwed to it.  Each 2 by 4 was nailed to three trusses, a truss on each end and one in the middle.  So a total of 9 nails per 2 by 4.  It didn't stand a chance.  I wasn't made to hold a storm it was made that way to hold until the hurricane straps went in.  He just put it off as long as he could and it bit him in the butt. 

I could hear him crab crawling on the telephone.  I was joking about whoopin him as I am too old for that kind of nonsense anymore.  I have known this guy for a while.  He can't hide from me because he lives across the street.  He came by last night but I had already gone to sleep.  I usually get up twix 0400 and 0500 so I can't stay awake much passed 2100 hours.  I am pretty sure when we speak in person he will do the right thing and fix it.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »

Here is a cellphone pic of the damage

www.snakebreaker.com
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »

I can tell you don't get much snow, or cold weather by the light construction, LOL.

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 07:30:03 AM »

I can tell you don't get much snow, or cold weather by the light construction, LOL.

We have lived here for 8 years and recieved a total of 12 inches of snow and in the last year about two spits worth of rain.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: