Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:59:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we ride out Hurricane Irene in the bus?  (Read 4336 times)
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

Here is a different problem, I am presently in Lakeland ,fl. My bus is in chincoteaque va,  Right along the eastern shore, It sets pretty high up from the bay side and ocean side.   Possible flooding I doubt it way high,  Now the wind . , I called the insurance folks and they assured me it was covered, at least today they say that,  If  i drove up there and moved the bus , there is no way to figure which way the storm will go, So here I set 1,000 mi away,  BUT SAFE............

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »

Actually, you should have already done sosss.  What are you waiting for?  The many reasons why have already been given.   Don't "feel" embarrashed doing sooss....out here in SW Oregon the 3 day wildfire bags are ALWAYS in the back of the cars...just grab and boggie.  "Live Long And Prosper"..."Survive And Succeed" and all that stuff. HB of CJ (old coot) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »

we, for one are taking your guys' advice (i'm just bumming off this thread) and we cancelled our concert in Dover, Delaware just now. We're staying in Hamburg, PA which I hope is far enough away. More power to you guys in Maryland...it's gonna hit you harder I presume...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »

Hurricanes are so very unpredictable.  The problem here is the the Atlantic Seaboard has not seen a serious storm in decades and people get complacent.  Depending on the track, if it pushes a lot of water up into Chesapeake Bay or Delaware Bay, there may be some serious flooding.

The winds are not the biggest problem.  It is flooding, storm surge and flying debris that you need to worry about.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
RICH GREGG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »

Now you guys got me thinking I live on Turkey PT water on 3 sides holding down in North East MD good luck guys Richard

1966 mci 5a 8v71 4 speed stick no caps her name is stainless and aimless North East MD.
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »

Well getting there to get our bus is impossible its an 18 hr drive, the highways are already packed with evacuees from the Carolina's, the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel may be closed when we got there, if you go the Baltimore route its an extra 3 hr in regular traffic,  as of midnight Tonite they expect to have a mandatory evacuation started, so you could not get to the bus anyway.yes we could have maybe gone sooner, but that isn't always a choice that can be made, My choice was the safety of my wife and our dog, without those two,  the bus means nothing, so Yes I do expect damage  to the coach, That can be repaired or replaced, So even though sometime it seems a bit childish to not move forward, to run in guns blazing and get the coach to safety, each and everyone of us has life decisions to make, mine is as listed above, See ya all in Arcadia at the rally,

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »

Scotty!!!! GET OUT of the trees!!!! they will crush the bus! Last spring a wind storm hit TT campground near Cambelltown near Hershey Pa. BIG OLD trees missed RV, not pretty! I live near Carlisle and know sone of your area, Park in an area that's away from falling trees AND powerlines, at the moment I am directly under power lines so Sat. morning moving bus!
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »

Scotty!!!! GET OUT of the trees!!!! they will crush the bus! Last spring a wind storm hit TT campground near Cambelltown near Hershey Pa. BIG OLD trees missed RV, not pretty! I live near Carlisle and know sone of your area, Park in an area that's away from falling trees AND powerlines, at the moment I am directly under power lines so Sat. morning moving bus!

Stink! Are you serious? If there is seriously wind predicted for Hamburg, I'm bummed. We haven't bought and hooked up a pump to our freshwater tank yet. So no water if I move the coach to the open area across the street. Sigh. Such might be our life....generator is ready. Oil level checked. 5 gallon tank full...7.5 gallons of fresh gas in our gas cans ready to go as of today. Car completely fueled up and topped off...Going shopping for some basics tomorrow in case power goes out. Guess I should fill some jugs with water...can use that to wash hands/flush toilet, etc.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »

There may not be any water anyway. The storm only last 12 to 24 hrs and you will be able to move back to your spot. Be careful coming home. Remember allot of fences will be down because of fallen trees. Watch for freed cows and horses wandering the roads. You don't want to get hung in powerlines across the road. You may see a car in front of you that just drove under some you don't see until the bus is wrapped up in them. Here is a picture of the day after with 110MPH winds 120 miles inland. No tree tops left. If you look just over the little shed you can see the white oak that crushed the back of my neighbor's house.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:58:43 PM by eddiepotts » Logged
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »

Just heard on Facebook  Nick Badame and Nick Sr and family are loaded up and leaving Cape May with Coaches. Safe trip to all.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
blank

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »

If the Bus runs, I cant imagine any other option than to put me and my Family as far away from that kind of horror as soon as possible. Most of the stuff we own is, in the end, just stuff. Thats why we have insurance. Grab your photo albums and most significant memorabilia, and start putting miles under you. Go somewhere where they really dont know what a Hurricane is.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »

No question! Get Out NOW!!! You have been blessed to have a coach, use it!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 06:32:54 AM »

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Panama City FL for more than 40 years. Only a couple Hurricanes came in that way, and they always rode them out because they were mild, and because we didnt have the knowledge and reporting we have today.

The one time they did decide to leave, they didnt leave early enough and sat in traffic creeping along all day. They only made 50 miles in 10 hours. Had they simply left a few hours earlier, they would have avoided all of that last minute mad rush and put much greater distance between them and the storm.

If I lived in a Hurricane prone area I would attempt to have the rig ready to roll at all times, so when the warning came I could be the first one out of town, the first one to find the cheap fuel (or any fuel), first one to stock up at the grocery store, etc. I just cant see any reason to stick around. People used to put heavy shutters on their homes, strong heavy shutters that could keep a Bear out, as well as heavy wind and rain. If people were still smart, like their forefathers were, they wouldnt be fighting each other at the lumber yard every year to buy plywood, and they wouldnt be standing around nailing sheets of it on their house while the storm bears down on them. Slam the shutters and lock em, and get out.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 08:41:06 AM »

The one time they did decide to leave, they didnt leave early enough and sat in traffic creeping along all day. They only made 50 miles in 10 hours. Had they simply left a few hours earlier, they would have avoided all of that last minute mad rush and put much greater distance between them and the storm.

Our youngest boy left Houston (during Katrina) with his family and had the same ordeal, took him over 14 hours to get to Dallas.  He said the following year, all the automotive shops in Houston were either servicing or rebuilding engine components on automobiles that spent long hours on the Interstate idling while stuck in a monumental traffic snarl of weather refugees.

Go figure.

BCO

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »

While all our buses but 1 were down in TX for Hurricane Ike I was at home in NW TN on the KY state line and I tell you what the wind in TN/KY was fierce and did as much "wind" damage in that area as it did in TX. It took about 6 months for "roaming debris crews" hired by FEMA to finally get all the trees cleaned up and hauled off. (emergency crews cut what they had to to clear roads and left the rest for FEMA's workers (as instructed by FEMA)

I was sitting on the front screened in porch of our place talking on the phone to mom & dad and other drivers who were all in TX and several times I got scared enough that the trees folding in half and leaning toward the house were gonna come crashing on down I finally went down to the shop and rode the winds out in the shop where I had a bus over the pit in case I needed to dive in the pit for cover.

I lived in OK for 5 yrs and the winds of Ike all the way up in TN scared me more than any tornado ever did in OK!

SO FWIW please do move your coaches out of harm from falling trees if anyway possible! (It ain't always the "storm" that gets you, but sometimes the aftermath!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: