Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 07:29:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New air compressor Will this paint my bus?  (Read 3478 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 01:36:57 PM »

I would say way over priced for a used unit.  Try $100.00 and see what happens.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »

I would not give that much and would not trust the seller on anything he says about it. Now that you have done your research on spending all your money on a compressor you might try calling someone like MAACO "is who we have here" to just spray the paint. They are a cheap run them through paint franchise. By the time you buy a compressor and filters and paint you can probably have it done. Lets face it your not going to have a paint booth at your house to paint it. The high cost of painting is prep work. If you do all of that it might only be $600 to have them spray it with a 3 year warranty on the paint. They spray 20 cars a day. your not going to find a better spray guy. Paint is not cheap and if you find some that is, your work is not worth the time to put it on. I am sure you would do a great job of it but you are really putting yourself in a major undertaking. Now that you have your compressor for the bay to do what you need on the minor side ask yourself how big of a shop can you have around your house. That is a personal question you have to ask yourself. Painting is a one shot deal that you have to live with the sand in it, bugs and runs or start all over. have you priced scaffolding. You can't climb up and down a ladder to do this. It all has to flow or you will see the feathering between the passes. I know you can get down and dirty rebuilding your bus but........... You can't eat an elephant all in one bite and there is enough of it to get some help with it and still say you ate one.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »

Eddie youre no fun! You had to go and get all serious and make me think further down the road of projects/storage/money/time/etc. geesh! I can see I am clearly going to have to think this through more now thanks to you lol

BUT I do have a friend that just offered me (through his wife which knows about as much about them as I do) his air compressor for $75.00 It is 9scfm at 40psi........

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »

Sorry lol just being real. I want to read your post that your done with your welding,tires back on and the blocks under it gone. It is fun to dream and plan but if you have another $100 for a compressor get a welder over there and chew that bite first. You know I have your back but I am afraid one day your going to walk out there overwhelmed on whats started and needs finishing. I want to buy a plane and do vacations down on the islands off Galveston at the old air force runways. If I go but it it would still sit there because there is  no way I could fly it. Sometimes our plans are bigger than we are. Just looking out for you. Wink
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

I have watched this thread at times shaking my head and at other times basically laughing at some of the advise given out. As with most questions we all get a lot of folks wanting to help out. I'll just put it bluntly from my perspective. I own a big enough shop with all the air and resources available that I could paint my bus. I have scaffolding and forklifts and friends that paint for a living for advise. It's all right there for me if I decided that was what I wanted to do. No way would I do it. You really have no idea of just the cost alone of the paint less the materials such as primer and such. You also are forgeting about the time spent sanding, also needing air in case you forgot, and sanding around each rivet to insure cohesion. Take it to MAAKO and watch the paint fall off a month later. I know we all want to save a buck here and there but owning a bus and converting it is not cheap. So you need to decide what do you want? If you want a nice job that lasts, fork out the 10 grand and be glad. If you want it cheap buy some paint rollers, a hundred dollars worth the masking supplies and a $25 ladder from Lowes along with several gallons of Lucite. Ask BKO what it costs to paint a bus in Imron. I'm not trying to be rude and such but I can be when you ask. You get what you pay for and there really isn't much more than that I can offer. Do you want something awesome, just ok, or something that lasts until Christmas? The price will vary.... But with you asking about a dinky air compressor and if it will be enough to paint my bus I already know you have limited knowledge about such an endeavor. Just my 2 cents. Later
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:11:30 PM by Chopper Scott » Logged

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »

There are many ways to paint a vehicle.  Most of them look good from 20 feet on a rainy night....pretty much none of them look good under critical light from close up.  Many many variances in between.  I would probably paint a bus myself...use air mostly to speed things up not for the finish as the finish would suck with me spraying.  But, it would look good from 20 feet at night (probably a little rain would help).

Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »

How about an industrial acrylic enamel paint applied by an airless sprayer. I know that works very well on a school bus. 
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »

Well the "paint job" is something MUCH later down the road. It is just that I had some other projects going and needed to buy an air compressor quickly for these other projects. Im also the type of person that doesnt mind spending a few extra bucks to buy only one tool instead of several. So my thoughts were one air compressor to do everything I could ever imagine wanting to do at anytime.

Yes, Eddie you are right in that I have welding to do on my bus. I recently bought a welder for it and helmets for my son and I. Unfortunately though, I have several projects Im currently working on around my property that I need to get done and the bus is on the back burner. But Im learning to make lines with the welder and doing other projects with it before I tackle my bus, the same goes with wood working on it, metal framing, tiling, etc. virtually everything I will be doing on my bus I am having to do around my property first. I also had some auto painting I would like to do on my beater 1984 diesel suburban which I thought would be a good primer for my bus.

Please God, may I live long enough to do and learn everything I want  Cheesy

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 05:13:41 AM »

It is surprising what you can do with little if you have time and patients. A small aircompressor will feed a low air requirement gravity feed gun for a short time... here is where time comes in. if you have it-wait a minute and go again. Or store --like Zub said some air in a larger tank (your bus) and paint longer.  You have a large compressor-fuel might be cheaper than the huge compressor required for just one or two jobs.  My opinion only.  happy bussing...   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 07:01:07 AM »

A bottle of 3M fast cut and a buffer will about any paint job look good I saw some nice looking paint jobs done buy owners with small compressors and the 19 dollar cup gun but you need to know something about paint not my why of doing it I let Mike Wilson do it your budget tells you what you can do.
Nothing gained if you don't try and just reading all she wants is something simple, economical and will work for her and she was on the right track IMO now she has no idea lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
blank

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 07:28:44 AM »

Welllllll, one would hope she would practise a bit before slopping paint on her Bus. Yeah, you want it to look good, you pay the bucks. $10K dont buy much these days though, and if they dont prep the aluminum and stainless properly its gonna peel the first time it sees the bidness end of a pressure washer. Or a good rain, depending...

Reading is the key. The internet is wonderful at learning how NOT to do things. Do you know that until after WW2, cars were all mostly painted by hand with a brush, and rubbed out between each coat? That spray painting was considered cheap? Crude? That Rolls Royce brush painted all their cars well into the 1960's, and only changed because brush painting was then looked upon as crude?

They would brush on about 60 coats of lacquer, hand sanding between each coat. Thats what gave those cars that deep wet look. After all those coats and coats of paint, the clear would go on, sometimes more than 10 coats. All hand rubbed between coats. So like Clifford just eluded, you can cover a world of sins with D/A buffer and some rubbin compound. Its all doable if you have the time and patience.

And really, you want at least a 5 HP compressor, preferably two stage, and yeah, 240 volts.

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 08:15:57 AM »

Nothing gained if you don't try and just reading all she wants is something simple, economical and will work for her and she was on the right track IMO now she has no idea lol

good luck

Grin Grin Grin Yup! Im kinda lost right now haha!!

I will tell you guys though, before I spend 10 grand or whatever HUGE amount of money like that on superficial LOOKS..... well, I would much rather keep it looking like a bus forever then do that.  And yes I would not tackle the paint unless I first proved to myself that I could do it and had the right equipment. As for the ladder that someone mentioned earlier or scaffolding. Yes I have priced scaffolding and Im on the lookout for a good deal on it just for working on the outside upper half of my bus for other things because I want to reach all parts of the bus easily when I start working on it again. However as for painting it, someone in another thread had said they road around the bus in the back end of a pick up with someone else driving. They just sprayed from the back of the truck, which I thought was cool.

Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »

no reason to spend a lot of money on scaffolds.  Make your own from scrap.
http://users.cwnet.com/thall/fredhobe5.htm

Hand Made Gifts

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »

Why not just rent a electric self propelled lift for about 400 a month push buttons and never have to get off it to move as you guessed I am lazy. 
I have the scaffolding but never use it to much trouble you can come it Teresa when you are ready

good luck   

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »

Here is one from that same Craig's list.
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/tls/2570629716.html

A bit rough looking but Emglo is a respected brand and like our buses, it may only have 60,000 miles on it.

Here is a trick.

Assuming the seller has it set up to test, run it up from empty and see how it sounds and how long to fill the tank.  After it's full, slowly open the tank drain and see what comes out.  There will be a little oil but mostly water if it's in good shape.

It's too big for a take along in the bus, but if it's in good shape, would make a good shop compressor for working on the bus.

Hand Made Gifts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: