Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New air compressor Will this paint my bus?  (Read 3481 times)
GilligCrown

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »

happycamperbrat,

I have a 3.2HP 60-gallon compressor, scaffold, and a 100' hose, but not yet a dryer/filter, here in Phelan.  I plan some "trial runs" with a cheap Harbor Freight gun on the dinette, cabinetry, etc before tackling any big stuff.  My Gillig already has decent blue paint, but I want to "get the yellow out" of my Crown soon, even if it is only primer.  I am aware that preparation is crucial and of the pitfalls of outdoor painting . . .  If it is windy, I guess one simply waits for a better day.  Neither does my budget permit a $10K paint job, so the 10'-20' rule will probably have to do.

Paul, High Desert CA
1981 Gillig Tandem
1983 Crown Tandem
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »

no reason to spend a lot of money on scaffolds.  Make your own from scrap.
http://users.cwnet.com/thall/fredhobe5.htm

Ive seen this and have given serious consideration to making it out of metal as wood just does not last long in the desert.

Why not just rent a electric self propelled lift for about 400 a month push buttons and never have to get off it to move as you guessed I am lazy. 
I have the scaffolding but never use it to much trouble you can come it Teresa when you are ready

good luck   

haha!! I thought about putting something on the back of a golf cart lol. But my big suburban just might do the trick too lol Lazy is nice Smiley Thanks for the offer of the scaffolding, Im not sure when I will ever be out to Az though, when I get away I usually like to go to trees and water and green lol

Here is one from that same Craig's list.
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/tls/2570629716.html

A bit rough looking but Emglo is a respected brand and like our buses, it may only have 60,000 miles on it.

Here is a trick.

Assuming the seller has it set up to test, run it up from empty and see how it sounds and how long to fill the tank.  After it's full, slowly open the tank drain and see what comes out.  There will be a little oil but mostly water if it's in good shape.

It's too big for a take along in the bus, but if it's in good shape, would make a good shop compressor for working on the bus.

Thank you for the suggestion and effort! As YOU very well know, I got a million things I am busy on right now  Undecided And these things have to be done before I can resume serious work on my bus or else mom will get mad at me and put me in time out or something!

The ad you show is for Bakersfield which is 150 miles away from me, though yes it is on my CL area..... argh! The $400 one I showed is here local. I will keep an eye out though, God knows I got time. I did decide to keep the little one so I can do my other projects around here and I suppose it will serve it's purpose until I can find a good deal local and hook something up because I still like the idea of tying it into my compressors on the bus.

happycamperbrat,

I have a 3.2HP 60-gallon compressor, scaffold, and a 100' hose, but not yet a dryer/filter, here in Phelan.  I plan some "trial runs" with a cheap Harbor Freight gun on the dinette, cabinetry, etc before tackling any big stuff.  My Gillig already has decent blue paint, but I want to "get the yellow out" of my Crown soon, even if it is only primer.  I am aware that preparation is crucial and of the pitfalls of outdoor painting . . .  If it is windy, I guess one simply waits for a better day.  Neither does my budget permit a $10K paint job, so the 10'-20' rule will probably have to do.

Are you interested in selling or loaning?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
GilligCrown

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »

I was thinking when the time comes you might consider doing it here, assuming you too must do it outside.  The compressor is immovable.  BTW, is it not exactly legal to paint vehicles outside, in California?

Paul, High Desert CA
1981 Gillig Tandem
1983 Crown Tandem
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »

I was thinking when the time comes you might consider doing it here, assuming you too must do it outside.  The compressor is immovable. 

hmm, I might very well take you up on that!! Thanks!!

BTW, is it not exactly legal to paint vehicles outside, in California?

I dunno........ everything is illegal in Cally so maybe?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: