Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 06:07:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are Conversion Owners?  (Read 1782 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »

Having just spent a couple months traveling the country shopping for our first bus, we were amazed at the wide variety of both buses and owners. That's something that really attracted us to continuing our lust for a bus - the diversity of what we could do, and who we could meet by immersing ourselves.

As we are full time travelers looking for our next home on wheels, we sought a bus that seemed livable on day one (ie. already nicely converted and seemingly mechanically maintained), but would give us many opportunities to make it ours. We wanted to force ourselves to learn mechanics and systems along the way, as we've been the 'write a check and buy what you want' sort of folks who wanted to change that.

We have friends who have done conversions from the ground up to friends who are paying people to do their conversions and friends who bought theirs 'off the shelf'.  In our mind - it's all fabulous! 

Life is about making it yours, and that seems to be true for buses too Smiley

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »

Plenty of room for all types, from the roll your own crowd to the tailor mades, and all shades in between. Just so's no one is so snooty they cant stand being anywhere near the other.

We are singing from the same page in the hymnal. I have belonged to the Prevost Proud and the Converted Bus chapter of FMCA and found I didn't fit in either. The Prouds seemed more interested in my balance sheet and the Converted Bus folks seemed to think I wasn't qualified to belong because I drove a store bought bus.

But except for those instances I have found if a person talks "bus" he fits in with every group. There is very little on my buses that I haven't repaired, replaced or improved, from the entire Prevost chassis to the converter side. I have rebuilt my 8V92, changed the entire undercarriage from air bags to Norgrens to brakes (chambers and friction). I have redone floors, reupholstered the furnishings and modified the way the converters built the systems and bays.

But I never really felt I fit in with either group because I'm not in a position to stroke a check for a new one, nor do I want to dedicate the time to start from the beginning to build one.

I find the comments and perspectives very interesting and I also find myself in agreement.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »

HAHA, thanks for the laugh this morning! I should read what I type huh! still asleep!

Boyce

No, it was good.  Short, concise, and to the point.  Thought you did a good job.

BCO

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »

Mr Prevosman,
Might I ask you do you your self & the rest of us a favor and ask that you add your name & location either in your signature line or at least in your profile.
Most of us here feel like we are family with our fellow busnuts and Mr Prevosman is quite a mouthful when addressing you. Also if other members know where you hail from might invite you over for a pepsi, java & bus talk. Or some of us might ask what time supper is and invite our selves over. (just ask Bob!)
No need to put what kinda bus  you have/admire your user name says it all! LOL!

I too am like you in that I don't have blank checks to go and write for a store bought conversion. Nor do I have the time or $ to build my own @ this time.

But I have many friends on both sides of the fence. I have held 3 rallys at my place and we've had old buffalo GM guys sit and eat right next to Marathon Proud guys and actually come away liking each other ! LOL!

We all still put our britches on one leg at a time!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »

Thanks for the nod Clifford! I have owned a lot of ss over the years and had peoblems with all. I kept thinking it was because they were used and possibly not well cared for. I bought a new one and within one year the roof bowed allowing water to pour in around the roof airs!! So much for that. I played music when I was younger and rode on lots of busses. I think they are made for the road and if maintained will last a lifetime. I have been offered late model Prevost factory conversions for my home built. I know what I have built. I can fix anything about it, and it was custom built the way I would want one. Not a million, but I,m happy with it. Just my two cents or less!!LOL
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: