Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Genset?  (Read 6298 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 07:43:37 AM »

Damn, he went up on prices I bought a new 13kw from him in 2004 with all the goodies for under 5 grand ,he is the same as most he just buys the components and assembles I think he is using a English made head now you never he has changed head manufactures over the years   

good luck
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:55:42 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 08:01:37 AM »

A friend of mine is a generator mechanic who worked for a utility company servicing their generators and now works on his own. When I was looking for one he stated to stay away form the China stuff. He had nothing but problems with them, broken parts, leaking oil, generator end burning up after continuous use and other problems. The price may look good but how much will it cost you to get it serviced and if you can't get it service you now have a very expensive piece of metal to recycle.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »

You guys would be shocked to know how many US generators are made by Yancheng of China both diesel and gas  lol I don't thing we build anything here anymore

good luck

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »

Yancheng Foreign Machinery Parts Co., Ltd. and others in the same area provide high quality products to Cummins and others.  The problem is you can't tell one player from another without a scorecard.

Japan started out shipping all kinds of junk to us after the war.  The early Toyotas and Datsuns were junk.  Now they are the leaders.  I don't doubt that China will be in that position before very long.

In the meantime, I would stay away from China diesels until they have a strong supply and service chain here.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »

China and India build whatever you want.  You want extremely high quality, they can do it if you ask them.  You want dirt cheap and you gotta sieve the casting sand out of the gearbox oil, they have that too.  I blame the people doing the importing and purchasing for the distributors.  Spare parts and warranty support is 100% the importer/distributor - usually a fine USA enterprise... or a US based OPCO at least.

All I know is I looked into that specific type of gennie, I was going to get it from a well respected local supplier with good support, and he steered me clear of it.  Told me not to bother with it.  That's all I can pass on.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 11:32:28 AM »

Merely the fact that it's made in China may not be the issue.  If it is made there for an American or Japanese company, there is likely to be better specs and quality control.  If it marketed directly as a Chinese product, it is likely to be junk.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 11:45:28 AM »

If the nameplate says 發電機, you probably don't want it.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »

i like this one..  http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BRS_40_kVA_generator.jpg

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

There is a huge difference between the 3,600rpm based Chinese made generators then the 1,800rpm based mostly American assembled generators.  My current 10,000 watt Powertech genset (I didn't know about Wrico then) has a 4 cylinder Kubota and a huge Siemans brushless alternator end.  Granted I only have about 1,100 hours on it, but no problems with it.  When the A/C kicks on, you barely notice the surge with the big alternator.  If I need parts all relays are simple Bosch plug in types, the voltage regulator is universal, the sensers are made by Kubota.
Who knows what the Chinese used.  Course, the 12kw generator I bought from Dick Wright with both the squirrel cage ventilating blower and the electric radiator fan with speed control, cost around $8,100.00.  I firmly believe you get what you pay for.  Good Luck, TomC

I had a Powertech 7kw for a couple of years. It seemed to be a well made unit. Mine had 4000 hrs on it when I got it. I put another 1000 on it in the 3 years I had it. Two things to know about the Powertech,
1 - it was not an inverter genset so the motor runs wide open all the time like a construction generator.
2 - The generator end bearing should be changed every 2000 hrs. If you run it till it is bad and spins it will mess up the generator head. Better safe than sorry.
 It was very easy to service, much more than my Onan.
Charles

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

TomC,

What is the CFM rating on the squirrel cage ventilating blower for your genset?

I'm going to install one for my 8KW Westerbeke genset but not sure of the size needed.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »

I thought that bus had a Universal Generator Gus did you change it ? if it has a Universal it doesn't need a blower only a vent in the floor at the rear of the head and a vent where the head connects to the engine Dicks generators have a cooling problem always  have

good luck

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »

For ventilating the cabinet-look for around 250cfm.  I used an inline bathroom 8" ventilator from Graingers (I also have a remote radiator) that Y's into two 6" hoses that puts cool air right on the alternator with the exit out the back by the engine (sits backwards next to the driver's seat).  Also have a speed control so you can have near silent operation for night time use.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »

Nice to hear all the positive comments about PowerTechs. My MC5 came with an older PowerTech 8K Isuzu diesel, and I couldnt be happier, it runs smooth clean and quiet. It does read 3600 hours, but I suspect the clock was running when it was plugged into power because of how it was wired (bogus). Im going to relocate it in the Bus, and while its out give it a good service and going through. Thanks for the heads up about the gen head bearing, ill be sure to change that out. 

desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »

if you are charging an external battery most of them will run the clock.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
blank

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »

Yup, thats how they wired it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: