Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 02:37:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Genset?  (Read 6376 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

I know that this is where everyone does it there own way, so I guess that if you are happy with it, it's okay.  It looks unsafe to me, and I love shortcuts.  The comment that you can't touch the door without gloves sounds like something to be concerned about.  We also have a very, very, old 7.5 Kohler gas generator.  It is reasonable quite, runs beautifully, and does not noticeably raise the temperature of the bay door.  If this one poops out, I would tend to look for another old one that is designed for the task.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:13 AM »

Me I just think too much is put into a generator being approved for RV use,I been around Wrico generators and others for a long time never have saw Wrico state approved for RV use and he has sold 1000's for conversions over the years

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

I agree, there is no reason that a Contractor generator cannot be modified to function safely in an RV environment.

It only takes a little common sense, electrical knowledge, adequate cooling air supply and exhaust and careful monitoring of temperatures.

I would not, under any circumstances, use such a generator in a bay without a remote fuel supply.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

OSHA sets the regulations for contractors generators not that need that much clearance,I think it is title 29 same applies to a diesel or gasoline generator on a job site and the manufactures are required to put the refueling and clearance stickers on those units been there done that with OSHA lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »

So modify for RV use.... I can buy that.   won't question quality --that is for buyer to determine-bang for the buck.  Be safe!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »

I am not saying that a contractor generator can not be adapted for RV/marine/enclosed use; at the core, a generator is generator.  However, the ones constructed for our use have the needed adaptions and modification done as part of the manufacture process.  You can theoretically build your entire genset from scratch or start with a contractor style generator, where most of the work has already been done, but from there I would say that you should upgrade it to make it completely equal.  This would include a remote fuel source, proper muffling, safe exhaust discharge, an enclosure ventilated well enough that heat is not an issue, and probably some things that don't come to mind right now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 05:35:39 PM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »

I am saying that a contractor generator can not be adapted for RV/marine/enclosed use; at the core, a generator is generator.  However, the ones constructed for our use have the needed adaptions and modification done as part of the manufacture process.  You can theoretically build your entire genset from scratch or start with a contractor style generator, where most of the work has already been done, but from there I would say that you should upgrade it to make it completely equal.  This would include a remote fuel source, proper muffling, safe exhaust discharge, an enclosure ventilated well enough that heat is not an issue, and probably some things that don't come to mind right now.

Probably a long pull cord coming up through the floor to start it. Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »

What do you guys think about this generator and price??

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/2580909879.html
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »

Regarding the Gas Onan on LA craigslist: Onan had problems in the 90's with generator magnets ungluing and flying around making a mess. I saw it happen myself. They did not warranty the problem and everyone was stuck with a rebuild bill. Check the manufacture year on that one.
jbnewman

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »

How about this generator? It apparently comes with a bus...   Shocked

http://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/2577945472.html

-jbn

-jbn
Justin
Chicago, Illinois

No bus.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »

It seems to me the only real problem here is keeping it cool which a good blower would take care of.

Fuel lines to RV specific gensets can break and burn just as easily as this one so don't see that as a unique problem.

The hot floor might be solved with a good blower, if not more insulation would do it.

I'm in the process of installing a 326 CFM blower on my newly installed Westerbeke boat genset because it gets pretty hot without the original water cooled exh manifold.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

How about this generator? It apparently comes with a bus...   Shocked

http://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/2577945472.html

-jbn

jbn it seems like for what it is that generator is overpriced and on top of that your stuck with a bus to get rid off! Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: