Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 20, 2017, 09:36:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  4,812 Members as of August 9, 2016 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air dryer going bad?? 911  (Read 1308 times)
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2006, 05:07:24 PM »

Hi all,
I'm in the U.P. and today we developed a growl in the area under the old ramp. I'm pretty sure it's the air dryer. I have a 1980 MC9.
Is mine the AD-2 or AD-4? how do I tell.
is this something that's going to get worse, fast or gradual?
Is it an emergency fix?

If I keep the rev's up it goes away (i.e. fast idle or just normal driving), but when I come to a stop it really growls.
 Easy fix, or full rebuild?

Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:24:12 PM »

It may be as simple as removing the dump valve at the very bottom and cleaning it.

The growl could also be just one of the auxillary air tank feed valves located near the dryer.

Or a leaky front leveling valve. They can grumble, growl and hiss at the oddest times if they need replacing.

All of this means that you have to get under the bus so jacks, blocks and ramps may be required.

Never trust the air suspension... NEVER ! You might get trapped, flattened or maimed if you live !

Wink

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:11:39 AM »

This actually sounds like air entering the front air tank, which could mean you have developed a leak somewhere which needs replenishing. Possibly a suspension leak.

Suggest you run up on some 4x4s or 6x6s and get underneath to pinpoint exactly where the growl is coming from.

I doubt it's the air dryer.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:58:12 AM »

Typically when an air dryer goes bad it starts to cycle often-like once a minute.  You hear the spitting of air coming out often instead of it only happening when the dryer cuts off the compressor.  Or if the compressor does not want to build pressure and you hear air escaping from the bottom of the dryer.  A leak in the system sounds more logical, since the check valves can make a "growling" sound.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: