Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kubota Gen set  (Read 2975 times)
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »

This generator is totally enclosed in it's on little insulated housing. With it's insulated door and prevost stainless door closed i don't see how it couldn't keep from overheating. I wonder if they make a louvered door that I come install. This thing doesn't make any noise, with doors closed. That seems way to airtight. The thing slides out of bay with all hoses moving out with it. The radiator is enclosed next to gen set with no immediate access except for radiator cap with no spill tank. The air comes out from bottom. I will take screws out when I get home this weekend and have a closer look at radiator system. That larger radiator idea doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Thanks,
Glen
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »

Glen,

Had a similar experience this Summer in Texas.

When I built my generator compartment, an additional squirrel cage blower was built in to kick out excess heat if needed.

I have never had to run it due to high engine temperatures, but have run it when stopped to assist in heat removal(keep it from rising up toward the cabin).

Well, this Summer before our Texas trip I did a little redesign in the gen compartment and pulled the fan out, but, running behind schedule never put it back in.

I swear this started the second we crossed the state line, but can't be sure.  We stopped at the welcome center and when we came back form walking the dog I noticed the genny was off.

My Kubota has never had a problem in any season with outside temperature, but the temps were 105 today.   Long story short it needed the extra blower to stay cool when stopped in these temps, ran just a few degrees hotter from normal when moving.

Yeah, the blower is back in now.   Roll Eyes   And I never had an issue once we were out of the 100's on the way home.

I agree with Bob that I would verify that your reading is correct first, and a lot of other good idea's, but it just may be an air flow/removing heat issue with the temps so high.

Best of luck on your fix,

Cliff
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:46:35 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »

Thanks Cliff, for the info. This coach was converted in Wyoming years ago and who knows what's behind door number one. Did that second blower house in gen department or radiator area. The kubota has no ventilation what so ever. Is that the way they do it?

Glen
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »

The blower is in the compartment and pushes the air out the side.  I have it wired to a dash switch, but the long term plan is to wire it to a temperature controlled switch (top of compartment) so it will come on, on demand and turn off when not needed.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »

just wire it to the battery charging terminals if you have one then it will come on as soon as you turn  the Genny on.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »

Now all I have to do is cut a hole in side of door. This could get ugly. I do have a 100 amp plasma.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »

He should have 2 gauges 1 for the remote start and 1 for the outside start 195 won't shut one down I install 195 thermostats in the Kubota's those little guys don't like cold.
I would not fool with the cooling system till the electrical was checked mine was in a closed bay with only 2 vents in the floor no blower, remote mounted radiator it never shut down in the 115+ here in AZ till the shut down solenoid starting going bad then it would shut down around 200
If he checks around I believe he will find a 3 position rotary switch for fan speeds for the engine H,M and low hidden around the generator some place on that conversion.  
I know you keep saying Kubota but what is the generator brand ? and what color is it   

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

Clifford he might not have a low medium high switch.  Mine didn't have a switch but it had 3 different color wires.  One wire was high one medium and the other low speed.  I just wired it to high and will change it for the 2 weeks of winter Grin

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »

Bet you he has a switch on that one Wayne and I think those guys used a marine generator his brother did here in AZ,he is probably going to have a water cooled exhaust manifold to keep the heat out mine did I sure would like to know the color

good luck

muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »

The operator manual i have in front of me (i got out of coach files) is just for the 4 cylinder Kubota V1902-B motor. It's got a 15 kw tag on it with serial numbers stapled on the manual.  I will look for a switch when I get home this weekend. Do most of these have variable speed motors? There are no vents or holes in motor compartment.  I will check on the color.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »

When my genset was first installed this month it would shut down after running a few minutes. This was in 70* weather.

The radiator top was at least 5" higher than the engine high point.

We found mucho air in the system. Finally installed two bleeder valves at the engine and solved the problem.

This system also has a water circulating pump near the radiator which is on the opposite side of the bus from the genset.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »

It sure would help if you could post a couple of pictures of the generator and its compartment.  I'm having a similar with a 7KW Powertech (Kubota Engine) in my rig.  The hot air from the generator blows out the bottom.  The cool air intake is just behing the hot air exhaust.  I suspect that the generator is sucking its own hot air back in causing it to overheat.  This may be your problem as well. 
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »

Some gensets are very difficult to bleed and if a big bubble gets to the pump it stops pumping. The last time I changed coolant I used one of those vacuum pumps to dropping the system pressure down to a vacuum (watching the hoses go completely flat), and then using it to draw new coolant into the system.

It worked better than anythinbg else I have ever used. No bubble, no burping and I now use it on all my cars to change coolant.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=72508&group_ID=12500&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I'm betting on air in the system.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »

It doesn't have the Snap/On name or price but the MityVac for under 50 bucks from Auto/Zone does the same job, me I don't use either I use a catch jar and pull a vacuum with my AC vacuum pump or run a vacuum hose off my pickup with a catch jar 

good luck

muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »

(UPDATE) Haven't had time to check anything on gen set with the fires raging around us (Bastrop/ Smithville Tx.). The radiator is remote from Kubota generator and enclosed in compartment beside it.. No switches for air flow motor. I did pull  Kubota (on slides) out of bay as far as I could and it ran for about 3 hours and it shut down for heat. No air in water system. I'm thinking the blower isn't big enough and there is no inlet for air flow thur radiator area as far as I could tell.

Thanks Guys.
Glen
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: