Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 29, 2014, 12:41:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NO Blinkie  (Read 2008 times)
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »

Any one have any advice on where to start. I got running lights and headlights, but no blinkers and no brake lights. And no wiring diagram. They worked just fine last time I used the bus. I checked the bulbs, they all seem to be good.

MCI 102C3

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »

Can you hear your blinker even though they don't light?  If not it is probably the flash unit.  Mine is in the chassis main electrical box.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »

You really do want to get a manual for your bus which includes wiring diagrams.  It is indispensable.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »

So Ive been doing a little trouble shooting and getting very frustrated. All the wires are intact, I have running lights and headlights but no blinkers, no hazards and no brake lights. Any one have any advice.

viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »

and no blinkie sound and no indication on the dash either

viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »

if it is the flash unit, how would the brake lights be tied in with that???  HELP.. Got big trip coming up and no brake lights or blinkers... HELP

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »

Viking1 (please sign your first name at least....),

I feel your pain. BTDT, just not with this exact situation.

How much do you know about your bus electronics? Not much, I take it. I am just going to throw some ideas out, but I have no idea what your bus is like.

I would start by looking to see if you can figure out if both brake lights and turn signals are on the same auto reset breaker/fuse (probably auto reset breaker). Otherwise, I would see if you can figure out the power source. Our J box has a bit of a diagram on the door. I can figure a lot of things out by that.

Otherwise, I agree with the others. Get da book! We paid serious $$$ for ours from MCI. They have sure been worth it, though.

FWIW

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:35:22 AM »

about 7 weeks ago some one with a older MCI had similar problems. after much testing changed turn signal relay and all was good.  also basic thing is verify ground at relay. ck power to the turn signal relay 

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:22:55 AM »

My feeling is that without a schematic this will be very hard to chase down.  On my earlier MCI the turnsignals and the brake lights are completely separate circuits, only thing in common is they are both fed off the main buss.

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
AndyG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »

Start with the simple stuff first.  You have already checked the bulbs.  Now check the fuses/breakers the flasher system may have a seperate fuse.  Fuses OK? Now check the flasher unit itself.... 

if it is the flash unit, how would the brake lights be tied in with that???  HELP.. Got big trip coming up and no brake lights or blinkers... HELP

Sometimes, seemingly unrelated functions are joined together on vehicles.  It is possible that the brake lights and flashers could be connected in some way or at least use a common fuse.  You should see the crazy stuff that happens on a car when the headlight switch goes bad.  Even if you get the flashers working you will still want to get that maintenance manual to keep in the coach.  It will pay for itself many times over when you need to diagnose something like this. 
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:09 AM »

Thanks for all the great advise, Anyone know where the fuses and the flashers are? are they under the driver window in that compartment? lots of wires and things in there.

Thomas

eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »

I am kind of ashamed to read this statement like this right here.
I agree with the others. Get da book! We paid serious $$$ for ours from MCI
From all the help people get here we are down to answers like this. Thomas has 50 post since 2008 and this is what he gets for help? He does not seem like a burdon to me. Thomas I wish I could help more. I know on my Prevost every wire is numbered and it makes it easy to trace to the source of power. I have a power panel under my drivers window that has power to the running lights but I would have to look and see if the brake light were being powered from the panel box in the engine compartment. My start stop switch is in the same box. I know my trailer lights are coming from there so it has to have some tie in. I am guessing your not getting front blinkers or steady light either and you checked power to brake lights and not just the way the bulbs look. I would be looking at power at your brake light switch. Are you using a volt meter or just flipping switches to see if stuff works. Give more detail of what you have checked, how you checked and how deep your into it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:52:12 AM by eddiepotts » Logged
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »

two compartments on that side If memory serves me rite. the 8 I had the relay was in the bottom one on the front. Ck for wire diagrams glued to doors.  Ch the ford style relays in box to make sure power is traveling thru them (big poles) when switch is on. Again been awhile since I fooled with MCI. Had one go bad once and killed power from switch(ign) to some functions. Headlights are prob 12 volt so fed thru differant system. turn and clearance&brake are 24 volt. verify 24 volt ground    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »

To be honest if I thought my MC-5C schematic was close I would post it.  That bus is a different generation.  The MC-9 schematics are on-line, http://www.buses101.com/mc9_maint_manual.htm.

A photo of the top electrical bay under the drivers window might help identify some components.

I am a little leery of the brake system and the turn signal system going out at once, since my bus feeds them completely separately.  There is no connection between the two except for they both run from the main power bus.  I would troubleshoot them separately because of that.

I'd help more if I could, honest!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:04:22 PM »

Did you read this recall? http://www.arfc.org/rvs/mci/102c3/recalls/000006493000015452000000231/recall.aspx                                                   

Vehicle 1992 MCI 102C3 
Manufacturer MOTOR COACH IND., INC.
Manufactured between 11/1/1991 - 9/1/1992
Recalled on 8/28/1992
Influenced by OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION
Owners Notified on 9/8/1992
# Affected 277
Recalled for EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL:SWITCH

Description THE POINTS OF THE RELAYS OF THE TURN SIGNAL SYSTEM FUSE TOGETHER DUE TO HIGH APPLIED CURRENT.
Consequences THE FUSING OF THE RELAY POINTS CAUSES THE TURN SIGNALSYSTEM TO BECOME INOPERATIVE AND THE BUS OPERATOR IS UNABLE TO ADEQUATELY SIGNALTURNS TO MOTORING TRAFFIC.
Corrective action INSTALL NEW TURN SIGNAL RELAYS.
Notes SYSTEM: TURN SIGNALS.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: INTER-CITY BUSES, MODELS 102B3 AND 102C3.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: