Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
February 18, 2018, 10:12:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squeaky steering.  (Read 1871 times)
CountingFireflies

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »

So at some point in Georgia, I pulled out the maintenance manual and started looking at all the orifices that needed lubing and greasing.  I read through the chapter on power steering and discovered the location of the sight glass and fill tube.  What I discovered was also that it was low.  And I said to myself, "the first gas station we pass, fill up the P/S fluid!".  So we shoved off from red top mountain state park and as soon as I hit the highway, that ominous P/S growl started.  I filled up the reservoir, but was obviously too late.
Fast forward 1100 miles, and I'm in rural Vermont with no reasonable expectations of getting the system bled.   So finally the question:  am I doing any damage to the system by running it with bubbles?

From the road...
Chris
'89 MCI 102c3 8v92t
2008 Jeep JK Rubicon toad
Chauffeur for www.countingfireflies.com
Tweeting: countnfireflies
KJ4YQB - General operator
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »

And I said to myself, "the first gas station we pass, fill up the P/S fluid!".

You might check into the type of fluid. Mine takes 30 weight oil. They say you need to jack front up and steer back and forth to get air out I didn't do this and mine still working fine.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »

Try to let it sit overnight then with the front end off the ground cycle the steering back and forth with the engine running. That is the procedure for my Sheppard system which takes 10w-40. If that doesn't work check your pump. They can get noisy when they get tired. At least mine did.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:43:35 AM »

That is the procedure for my Sheppard system which takes 10w-40.

I got off on the line above in my book the steering takes 10 weight in mine not 30 weight. I have serviced it with 10w-30 after I did repairs to fix leaks. Sorry for misinformation.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:10:57 AM »

Most of the steering gears have a air bleeder some are just a bolt in the gear,they also make a orifice to stop the whining I posted the number here a few days ago  

good luck
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:22:38 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
CountingFireflies

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:10:03 AM »

So it sounds like I'm not doing any permanent damage except for the park rangers hearing.  I have been keeping the fluid level topped off with over the counter p/s fluid, and I checked the manual and it suggests 30w.   I'm in central Vermont helping with town repairs and I've got a note in to the local fire chief to see where a diesel shop is so I can get the front end lifted up.

Thanks all for the input.

From the road...
Chris
'89 MCI 102c3 8v92t
2008 Jeep JK Rubicon toad
Chauffeur for www.countingfireflies.com
Tweeting: countnfireflies
KJ4YQB - General operator
JT4SC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »

The part number Clifford is talking about is: 3331991k
The only problem is I don't know what website you get that part from??
Also I have an MCI 102C3 and I have only been using power steering fluid - should I be using something different??

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

Many of the instructions I have read for bleeding the steering call for raising the wheels and turning in both directions BUT DON'T HIT THE STOPS.  I don't know why but I have seen it emphasized more than once.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: