Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 08:18:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - Need help with hung brake in Kansas City, Kansas  (Read 4019 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »

BK,

I'm just curious. What do you do when you buy a used bus and before you put it in commercial service? And, how much do you expect to spend, over the purchase price before you put a used bus on the road?

I think that would be some valuable information for many folks here.

I am going to take a wild guess and say he checks the brakes Kiss

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »

Brakes were the big thing for me when I bought my bus, so the deal included a complete brake job, all corners.  They did only an OK job, they left on a broken manual slack adjuster that the locking ring was broken on and the slack unadjusted itself in around a hundred miles.  It cost $3000, and the left hand wheel nuts were put on at around 1,000 ft lbs of torque.  It took a Snap-on 1" airgun at 140 PSI to get them off.  If anyone wonders why I try really hard to do my own maintenance, that's a couple of reasons right there.

Buses in commercial service are different.  They get full over the pit inspections every 30 days, with DOT paperwork on file.  You do that before you put it in service, basically.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »

I'm not in commercial service but if I buy a bus or truck I run the codes or pay to have someone run the codes if I don't have the software. I do a complete undercarriage inspection including not only brakes but looking for leaks, evidence of parts rubbing or chafing, indications of work by non-professional mechanics (like wires or wire bundles just cut off and wires hanging), hub seal leaks, signs of recent and regular lubes, corrosion, and if equipped air bag condition.

When I drive it I look for temps and pressures in range, good even braking, good strong acceleration, and over heating when pulling long steep hills.

Nothing says junk like dry grease fittings, leaks, poorly adjusted brakes and a failure of the DOT brake test. A previous owner that presents long term log books documenting a strong preventive maintenance program gets a kiss on the lips. I love it when parts are replaced to a schedule and not when they break.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »

Len,
Great question!
Dad an I have been told by several sellers (and one has been in the used bus biz for yrs & yrs) that we go over and inspect a bus more thoroughly than anyone they've ever seen.
We load our ramps, jacks, tire/wheel tools creepers, tarps, card board, and many other tools and items we may or not need in the truck and spend a day or 2 going over any bus we are serious about buying.
Once we've gone over it dad starts negotiating price while I start load tools and equipment. Then I listen in on the negotiations and if I feel dad is being too stubborn and we're going to lose a great bus or a small amount of $ I jump in and get dad to the side and tell him I think he should go say an extra $1000. But if I feel dad is right on I speak up and tell him "I'm loaded and hungry, let's go eat and give him time to think about your offer!"

Most of the time we end up bringing the bus home if it's not junk! If it's apparent it's junk I don't even get serious on the inspection before telling dad it's not for us.

Now if it's a STEAL we have bought buses sight unseen on the condition it passes our inspection before handing over CASH $! (bought several off ebay this way!)

And we've walked or run away from many more than we've bought too!

But if a bus is selling cheap enough we'll buy it knowing we're gonna have to spend $10,000 +/- and anywhere from a month to a yr working on it as time/$ allows before we put it in service! (we feel if it's paid for free & clear when it comes home, it ain't eat'n noth'n while it sits waiting to be made road worthy!)

AND YES BRAKES, Wheel bearings and TIRES are the FIRST things we do to one if we have no knowledge of the history on it!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »

OK Brian,
I know you've taken some heat on this. But inquiring minds still want to know what it was and how you got back on the road!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2011, 06:29:50 AM »

after due consideration, post deleted
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:08:18 PM by artvonne » Logged
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »

oops...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:06:25 PM by eagle19952 » Logged
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »

Some background on my bus and the work which has been done on the brakes and other parts:

I spent right about $9,000 at C&J Bus Repair having the brakes fixed from top to bottom in 2006.  The shoes, drums, wheel bearings, and some other parts were replaced.  I had them spare no expense in replacing what needed replacing.  The bus has been taken to C&J Bus repair once a year since then and put up on the hoist to get everything greased and the brakes checked.  I learned since then that the brake check they were doing is not as extensive as I thought I was getting.  JD was surprised to hear we were having problems with the low number of miles since his guys replaced all of the brakes.

We stopped in Olathe, KS to get the brake problem looked at.

As I noted in another thread I am working to learn as much as I can about air brakes in the next days and weeks.  I am going to order the Bendix training videos in the morning.  I would go to the Bendix Air Brake School in Dallas next week if I had vacation time available.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »

\
We stopped in Olathe, KS to get the brake problem looked at.

I am relieved to hear that you did stop to get it looked at. What did they find, and who did you use?

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: