Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 12:39:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We have come to a standby on our bus project.  (Read 2942 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »

Dear Friends,

My wife and I are are saddened by the series of events that have brought us to put a pause on our dream bus project. Basically, we have had a bunch of setbacks, such as having to replace the air compressor on the engine, replace radiator core and overflow tank, two new engine batteries, fix some structural cracks in the frame and also the engine mounts, and a few other things. Front brakes were thoroughly checked out, and rear brakes were replaced, as were a half dozen air lines. The clutch was also replaced.

But now also my carpenter guy did not come through on his promise to have our kitchen done and installed last Friday, and the A/C guy has not been able to come to do his work, which was also supposed to be done last week.

Next Wednesday we must be on the road, headed North. This will mean our trip will NOT be in our bus. But maybe we can still meet some of you on this trip, if you don't mind us being busless.

We are not giving up: Just pressed the Pause button for a moment. Good Lord willing, maybe in October we will be back home and take up our bus project again. Then in December, we hope to resume our trip plans.

Thanks for letting me purge my air tank here.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:25:27 PM by Mex-Busnut » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »

I guess its better to be done correctly then to have it rushed thru. 

Good luck with your trip.

Eric
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:32:17 PM »

Thanks, Eric!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
Jake brakes
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »

Are yall still headed north on us35? 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »

Dr. Steve,

I am sorry to hear that. Don't feel too bad, though. You had a great goal, and you worked towards it. Apparently the Lord had other plans.

Also, be encouraged. You have made more progress on your bus, in the last couple of months, then most in years.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:49:14 PM »

Are y'all still headed north on US-35? 

As far as i know, we will be on I-35 from Dallas up to Kansas City. I will be coming up, Lord willing along the 281 from the Rio Grande Valley and working over to Houston, then Palestine TX, then over to Dallas, and then up to Madison, Wisconsin.

I am open to suggestions for routes!

Jake brakes
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

By the way, we have to be in the Rio Grande Valley area first, as my wife is speaking at another international women's conference in La Feria, TX, on Sept 9-11, and I will be across the river in Reynosa, MEX at a united gathering of churches for special meetings.

And we have to have our awesome daughter delivered in Madison Wisconsin by 4:00 p.m. Sunday Sept 18th.

Jake brakes
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

Since you are planning to return home in October, on the return, divert east and join in the fun at the rally in Chattanooga, TN October 14-17.  And I think you would greatly enjoy the Gospel concert at the amphitheater on the other end of the park October 16.

Even though you won't have your bus on the trip, I think you would enjoy it a lot.

www.BusConversions.com/rally/
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »

May we come to the rally, though our bus stays home?

Jake brakes
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »

Absolutely!  There will be several attending that will be staying in nearby motels.  (there are a half dozen motels within a mile)

You can access and print out the registration form via that link I posted above.   If you decide you are sure you can make it, then you can pop it in the mail before you leave.  Or if you need to make that judgement call after you are on the road, print it out, make out an envelope and take them with you.  Then when you are sure, fill it out and mail it.

In fact, even if you do decide before leaving, it may be best to wait until in the U.S. to mail it.  Lower postage and probably faster transit. 
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »

This is all normal stuff. You buy a bus for cheap, then find out all sorts of hidden items need replacing.  Then get those things done right is important.  This is one of the many reasons it took me 6yrs to do my conversion.  Mainly-doing as much as I could afford to at a time.  Don't worry, you'll eventually get there.  Just keep up the work when you can, and before you know it, your bus will be in usable shape.  Don't rush it, and don't start buying El Cheapo crap just to rush through the job.  Better to wait to be able to afford what you want, then be satisfied with something you'll always be mad about.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »

Look at it as a blessing in disguise! This way you can have the bus done by the time she gets out for the summer next spring and the whole family can take a tour of the US when you pick her up from WI. It's better to do it right now than to have problems on the road or have a tragic accident and miss the deadline !
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 04:51:56 AM »

Are y'all still headed north on US-35? 

As far as i know, we will be on I-35 from Dallas up to Kansas City. I will be coming up, Lord willing along the 281 from the Rio Grande Valley and working over to Houston, then Palestine TX, then over to Dallas, and then up to Madison, Wisconsin.

If your headed 281 and have to jump over to Houston then you route will have to change to US 59 at George West, Texas.  If you stay that course you will be driving by or through the King Ranch while on 281.  When you hit US59 and headed to Houston you will be passing within 10 miles of the house.  Your welcome to stop by, rest your bones, get a fresh start ect.  I promise I will remove all the rattlesnakes out of the spare bedroom if your coming. Grin  It has been so hot here I have had to box them in wooden boxes and get them in the air conditioning.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:46:10 AM »

I want to say how impressed I am that you are doing the critically important things first, done right, and doing the comfort things second.  Plus - you take the hard decision to NOT drive the bus before it's ready to fly.  Kudo's to you, doing it right the first time!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »

Dr Steve,

Join the club!!  I just returned from a 6K mile trip w/o the bus!  Sad

My bus had some issues so it stayed home.

I would rather "do it right" and be ready, and not rush and risk safety or breakdown on the trip.

Maybe next year!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: