Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 06:36:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harbor Freight 1" pneumatic gun  (Read 4322 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »

Anybody own one of these?

Looking for opinions on quality of this item for my private use

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92622

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Al Bass

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:58:08 AM »

A buddy of mine borrowed his bosses new 1" impact (Harbor Freight) to change all 10 wheels on his 4501 and we were really impressed with it. it looks like good quality but dont know how long it will last, my friend was the 1st one to use it ,so it hasnt been used a lot.
just my 2 bits worth, good luck
AL
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 12:15:28 PM »

I spent about $100 on an Ingersol Rand 2135PTI 1/2" drive on eBay. 700ftlbs torque in reverse, 600ftlbs forward. 9500 RPM free speed.
It took the lug nuts off my 4103 with no problem. They hadn't been off in at least 8 years. I had tried earlier to remove them with a lug wrench and cheater pipe, but had no luck.
The gun is only about 3 lb.s in weight and very comfortable. Much better than my IR 231N 1/2".
FWIW
Dallas
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 01:05:05 PM »

Cliff, my brother and I both have the same wrench. Mine is unused but he changed a copuple of tires with his and liked it. He is critical of things that are junk so it must be pretty good.
  If I were going to use one daily I'd get an Ingersol-Rand but for the few times I'll use mine I opted for the el-cheapo.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:31:52 PM »

I would recomend you go bite the bullet and buy ingasol rand, i have had three of the chinneese units , they do not have the power and you will be dissapointed in the performance, my little 1/2 in drive has more power than the 3/4 chineese one i have. anyway ive been using this kind of thing for yrs and i just dont think you will be happy with the harbour freight units
Frank Allen
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »

I purchased one of these and have only used it a few times on my bus and a couple friends buses. It has always been able to break loose the nuts (so far). I also purchased a 1" drive 475 ft. lb. torque stick to use when re-installing the wheels. The torque stick is carried in the bus and will be used by any road service truyck that I may have the mis-fortune of needing.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:22:04 PM »

Jack,

Where do you get a torque stick?

Sounds like a good thing to have on hand.

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Mrbill4108

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »

I have have this torque stick and it works good.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3293

On sale now for less then $150.00

Mrbill4108

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:41:55 PM by Mrbill4108 » Logged

79 GMC 4108A
S/N 228
Florida Space Coast
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:39:01 PM »

I got one and it works fine.  However, it won't work on anything less than 1/2" air hose.  I use a 3/4" sandblaster air hose to operate it.  It seems a little air hungry.  Working for about 3 years now.
I have a torque head and ratchet adaptor that I carry for emergencies.  I can easily get any wheel off the bus without an air supply.  I don't believe that the Harbour Freight unit could be powered by the bus air, unless you have some sort of reservoir. 
Tried to post a pix of my torque unit but getting an error message...."upload folder full" ....?? I broke it?  Embarrassed
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 07:55:30 PM »

This is what I was trying to post.  It's one of the few sure-fire ways to quickly remove a bus wheel when no air, or not enough is avail....Road Service is still better, but, sometime things just don't work out. 
These things are better bought used...the whole thing would cost about $800 bucks new...I wouldn't pay that.  However, they turn up used and are handy if you can find them.
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 04:19:36 AM »

Cliff,
    I purchased my torque stick at www.torquestick.com  Hope this helps, Jack
PS: I also carry a plastic protector that goes over the nuts before removing them to protect the aluminum wheels from getting scratched.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 08:46:30 AM »

Hey Everbody,

Thanks for your replies.

A lot of good information.

Mark Twain
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 10:26:55 AM »

The torque sticks that I have require you to calibrate them by regulating the air pressure to the impact gun. If you run too much pressure to the gun, you will exceed the torque rating of the stick & over tighten the nut or bolt.

Jack, is yours different than the ones I have?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 07:26:14 PM »

PS: I also carry a plastic protector that goes over the nuts before removing them to protect the aluminum wheels from getting scratched.

Jack makes an excellent point with protecting polished wheels. To carry the protection one step further, I taped up the impact socket with duct tape to protect the wheels. The socket will slip off the lug nuts and mark up a wheel big time. Ax me how I know this.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 07:34:39 PM »

Jack, do you have stud piloted Alcoas?  Wondering what the torque-set is for your torque stick. 
Also saw the post on "air calibration" for the impact wrench....please elaborate.  Never heard of calibrating the gun?  How do you do calibrate the impact wrench to set the correct torque thru a torque stick? 
Thanks, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: