Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:44:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Totally, TOTALLY frustrated - Air compressor issue.  (Read 6840 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »

OK...we're getting warmer.....who the heck is REI ?

It's who Chaz bought his compressor from.
http://www.rebuildersenterprises.com/

And not highly recommended by most here on the board. (several lucky ones have had OK deals with them, but more have not!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »

Should there be two lines on the Governor? One to the EXH. (exhaust port( and one to the RES (reservoir post) ?? One should one just be capped off?

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »

No the exhaust port is open 1 line goes the reservoir the other to the unloder port 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »

Three ports should be in use on the governor.  one to the air dryer, one to the air tank and the exhaust port.

See the pic in the link:  http://www.beamalarm.com/Documents/haldex_d2_governor_service_data.htm

The reservoir ports are the ones farthest away from the plastic cap.  There are actually three of them, you have to plug the two you do not connect a hose to with 1/8th pipe plugs.  That port connects to your air system tank.  The reservoir port is how the governor senses the air pressure in the system

The unloader ports are the middle set, between the two mounting bolt holes.  You have to plug one, put the hose to your air dryer on one, and the final one is usually connected to the compressor by being bolted to the side of the compressor with a gasket if your governor is mounted directly on the compressor.  The unloader port tells the compressor to unload and stop delivering air, and it tells the air dryer to purge.

The exhaust port is on the underside of the governor, there is only one, not three like the others, and you just leave it open, you don't connect anything to it and you don't plug it.  Some installations you put a hose on it so it doesn't blow on anything important, but it is open to atmosphere.

So, you should have one line connected to the reservoir ports, and the other two plugged with pipe plugs, on line connected to the unloader port, and one plugged, and nothing in the exhaust port.  Total of three pipe plugs, two hose connections, and the governor bolted to the side of the compressor.

Makes sense?  probably not...  Hard to describe in words.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

He doesn't have a dryer he only uses 2 ports,his exhaust port should pointed down with it on the top as shown in the photos it will never stay clean

good luck
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:25:28 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »

Thanx LUVR. I was just going to write that.
I have one hose connected, one port open and it's bolted to the compressor and an open exh. port.
I fired her up and it took 6 minutes to get to 80psi.  9min. 20 seconds to shut the buzzer off. That is about 95 psi or so. And about 16min. to get to max of about 120. That was all on slow idle. It still has the loud howl/hollow whistle noise coming out of it. Man, I wish i could find someone to hear it/check it out here.  Undecided It still can't be right. But....... the next thing is to clean the system as was recommended. Maybe that will help in some way.
Thanx for all the help guys, I really REALLY DO appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess I'll just send the first exchange compressor back and chaulk it all up as lesson learned.   Tongue
Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »

Did you plug all of the unused ports on the governor?  No leak at the governor anywhere?  If it's making a howl can you tell where that noise is coming from?  What kind of air cleaner does it have?  No restrictions?  Try taking it off and see what happens?  If you take the discharge hose off, does the air output seem good?  Does that change the noise in any way?

I am starting to be very  glad when I got my new compressor it was a genuine Bendix rebuild - because I had no clue about any of this when I bought it!
Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »

Yup, all ports are plugged. No leaks. Noise comes from the inlet to the compressor (almost like it's pushing out as well as sucking in...sorta) No restrictions on inlet as I have it open to atmosphere. Discharge will push finger off after a couple secs. but little cfm. Noise does not change. That's the Cliff's notes version as I did all this and it's in earlier posts. But thanx for checking. Seems great minds think alike.  Roll Eyes

I would be happy too. I'll not make this mistake again and, I am very hopeful others here will learn from my mistake. God knows I make enough of them.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »

do you still have the other compressor. or a differant one?

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »

Huh  Not sure what you mean Bob, sorry.
I have the first rebuild I got from them, ready to go back. I also have the second one they (finally) sent as a replacement on the bus. That is the one I have been writing about.

(How was the "Frog's", Bob?) Smiley

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »

little over 4200 cars.  was thinking the other one you have you could take apart and look at to get idea  or it might be better than new one..  by the way nice weather in 80's for frogs.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »

Are the intake valves leaking?
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »

. . . Noise comes from the inlet to the compressor (almost like it's pushing out as well as sucking in...sorta)

Time to check the check; check-valve, that is. After building a head of steam, with the engine stopped, loosen the discharge line to see if system pressure is leaking back towards the compressor.

So far, I'm not leaning towards a compressor problem. My hunch is that the first stop beyond the compressor, the cast manifold/moisture collector/cream separator, is crudded up.

Ted

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:06:38 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »

For something that should be rather simple this is sure getting long. Im leaning with Ted, that sumthins amiss downstream.

But look at the bright side, your problem has everyone head scratchin, so were all going to learn something if we pay attention.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2011, 06:11:22 AM »

He needs to run the engine at 1200 rpm to check the compressor idling at 500 rpm the 750 compressor produces about 1/3 of it's rating, air up must have been a problem on his bus in the past or he would not have the 750.
Great thing about paying 450.00 for a Bendix rebuilt compressor he could go to a Bendix dealer and get answers,independent rebuilders use very few new parts if they do use new parts they are some kinda of after market.
I was told by a GM bus mechanic that a 4905 holds 16 gals of air if empty on startup  

good luck  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:35:15 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: