Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 08:57:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceiling Ideas  (Read 3286 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »

Would like to know what everyone else is doing? I've done mirror/vinyl on 89 prevost and the ozite (short nap carpet like material) on  MCI 8. Out of Box or tried and true ideas.  Pro and cons of each.  Bob 

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »

I am about to that point as well, Bob. I have pebble finish FRP right now and I want something a little "nicer".
Cliff sent me some samples of a "pressed tin" looking product that I really like. Some of it is rather soft and I can't use that as my ceiling is too low and it would get damaged. But there is some out there that is a bit tougher. I may look into that but I need to figure out how to install it without loosing any/very little head room.
I'll be watching this thread!  Wink
Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:56:55 AM »

http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/robertglines1          sorry could not get indivual pictures to work  go to interior pic album of 89 prevost.  Bob                  
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:13:26 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »

I like the ultra leather on snap in panels made from luan no screws

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »

My ceiling may not be tougher, but I believe nicer than FRP. I used 3/8 x 3 1/2 double beaded tongue and groove material. It looks nice and it conformed to the round corners of my GMC. I used paneling up to 4 foot and then started my ceiling.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »

The panels in the 89 were on luan covered with quilt batting for padding. The buttons were for looks (personal taste) panels are removable. The mirror is a vinyl product about $80 a 4by 8 sheet. special cleaner.  you loose about 1 inch in height for slotted frame work for panels -either mirror or vinyl covered.  Bob

caz

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:20 AM »

My buddy used some textured wallpaper in his that we're thinking of putting on our ceiling. Lowe's has a huge selection of colors and textures and it looks like a much cheaper option than most of the other stuff we've considered. It really made my friend's bus look top notch for being a DIY conversion.
Here's a early shot from the build, it shows it on the walls. Kind of hard to see the texture but it saved the painting step because it came that color.

'82 TMC/MCI MC9
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »

Bob, double click on the img code that is below the picture. It will turn blue, then right click on it.  It will give you the option to copy it. Then right click in the reply box on this forum. Click the paste option.  You will have to do this with every picture.

I hope that is easy enough to follow. lol
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »

I'm using the textured wall paper from Lowes on my walls as well. It does look good. It would probably make a NICE ceiling if were not already putting it on the walls. It would be a viable choice!

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »

I dont know what I want yet. But I did consider carpeting or other fabric and decided against it. The only reason is because there is soooo much dust in the air in the desert and I think vacuuming it would get old. I do have some textured white wall covering paper around here and thought about using it. That stuff is really good looking and easy maintenance. My only issue with it is that my early 80s S&S had textured white covering all over it and I think it might look too 80s to put it on a new conversion. Mirrors and lights reminds me of a cheap motel or a stripper bar lol.  The new tin squares look cool when they are done right. Heck I just dont know yet, I may end up going with peel and stick vinyl flooring for the ceiling lol.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »

I dont know what I want yet. But I did consider carpeting or other fabric and decided against it. The only reason is because there is soooo much dust in the air in the desert and I think vacuuming it would get old. I do have some textured white wall covering paper around here and thought about using it. That stuff is really good looking and easy maintenance. My only issue with it is that my early 80s S&S had textured white covering all over it and I think it might look too 80s to put it on a new conversion. Mirrors and lights reminds me of a cheap motel or a stripper bar lol.  The new tin squares look cool when they are done right. Heck I just dont know yet, I may end up going with peel and stick vinyl flooring for the ceiling lol.

gonna be hard to walk on!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »

gonna be hard to walk on!
Grin  BK  Grin

Grin Grin Grin

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »

Steve Seims out of FL. used a snap in system. One of the neatest I have ever seen. Very pro. look. I will try to find his number for you if you are interested. I uset ultraleather with foam back on my entire coach. Hides wall/ ceiling flaws and add a sound absorber. A pain to install without help of jigs, but I like the look.

I did the same on the dash but in a darker color so it wouldnt reflect as bad.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »

trying to find paste once I hit reply to post. will try again
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:08:33 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:21:49 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »

I'm following this with interest because I may have to make a ceiling decision soon also. I do know that while some things look great if done properly such as a mirrored ceiling or an ultrasuede material they are tough to maintain.

If nobody ever tries to shake a bottle of ketchup before tighting the lid and the AC ducts do not blow across the surface ultrasuede looks pretty nice, but dspite being two reasonably careful adults we have managed to get stuff accidently sprayed onto the ceiling such as the above mentioned ketchup. A smooth washable surface would be a good substitute for ultrasuede. What is not an acceptable substitute, but is smooth and washable is a mirrored surface. But while I really like the look of a well done mirrored ceiling because it gives the illusion of more space while creating a neat look with hidden rope lighting for a little sex appeal, those mirrors are a real pain to clean. I just wasted a couple of hours this morning cleaning the mirrors, including the ceiling in my coach and no matter how careful, streaks can still be seen.

I think my next ceiling will be a layered ceiling of washable materials such as a leather look vinyl or something equivalent with areas around AC outlets such that they will not pick up a noticeable dark color over time from the air flow.

Keep up the ideas. I'm making notes. Grin

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »

Here is what I did. 24 inch tin tiles! Looks awesome!

Good luck!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »

My ceiling is very complicated-It's painted semi gloss white with 2" Oak strips where the plywood seams are.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 03:46:21 AM »

I did my own ceiling using automobile upholstery. Stretched it on 3/8 plywood, glued and stapled on unseen side and put it up in individual panels using no screws or fasteners that can be seen. Each panel can be removed for whatever reason. Its vet way to clean and almost never have I had to remove a panel. Everyone that sees it thinks it was done by an upholstery shop. I used Christmas tree fasteners that can be ordered from an upholstery shop. Have never seen the ones I used in any catalogue or online source. By the way, the ceiling went up AFTER everything else was in. If this site allowed pictures without using an outside source, i could show you but as it is, its always a hassle so if anyone wants pics, contact me!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 05:40:37 AM »

I always post pics directly here from my computer. As I don't so "photobucket" or others.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
dolson

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 06:20:49 AM »

I recently finished my ceiling. Still some pieces missing in the picutre but you get can get the idea.  Used  gloss laminate and ultraleather.

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 07:32:56 AM »

Get an idea what I'm talking about-very simple interior as compared to others.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »

Thank's and keep ideas coming. I had basic idea of what I was going to do. It has been some what modified by your responses..I had done the mirror and ozite so this one will be differant . I don't repeat. So still refining ideas and time is fast approaching for that step.It is 2nd to last in process for me with floors being last. One will be focal point so must decide to make it ceiling or floor. One thing I don't have to contend with is the roof top Ac so the problems I had with the white ozite discoloring won't be there.  I have tall ceilings being a X entertainer coach.  feed- back   Bob

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »

Wow Dolson, great job!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »

Bob, my understanding when it comes to focal points (at least in a house) is that people very seldom look up at the ceiling. That may be different in a bus as you have to climb some stairs to get in and your vision may be drawn to the ceiling.
But I think that the floor would be a better focal  point. I know in our house(we have hardwood floors) people ALWAY comment on the floor. Don't ever remember anyone commenting on the ceiling.

Just a thought.

Fred
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

Ericbsc, I really like your ceiling and dash. Where can a person find more info on how to do that.

Regards

Fred
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »

Bob, my understanding when it comes to focal points (at least in a house) is that people very seldom look up at the ceiling. That may be different in a bus as you have to climb some stairs to get in and your vision may be drawn to the ceiling.
But I think that the floor would be a better focal  point. I know in our house(we have hardwood floors) people ALWAY comment on the floor. Don't ever remember anyone commenting on the ceiling.

Just a thought.

Fred

Fred if you ever saw Bob's '89 in person you'd have a hard time NOT looking at the ceiling, floor, center island and anything else he'd take the time to show you! He did an awesome job on it, and is doing a great job on the '98 too. He's going to be pressed hard to out do the '89 though when it comes to the total look of it! (the 3 slides & bath and a 1/2 will help!)
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 06:55:43 AM »

The dash started as an R&M dash. I cut it in six pcs. I got everything in posistion then fiberglassed it back together. The panels are .12 aluminum that I powder coated, then cut to size. The cover is ultraleather with 1/4" foam under it. The top can be removed to expose the lower console and heat/ac unit. The lower and side units are made from wood. I have this photo of another one as we started the process. Hope this helps.

Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »

Get an idea what I'm talking about-very simple interior as compared to others.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom, I like your ceiling with piece of wood. I will show to my wife your idea! Simple and «clean»...Like we love!

Thank you

Gaėtan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »

How about Metal Laminates in 4 by 8 sheets. I know Liberty uses the stuff for the ceilings. Take mirror and smoke mirror laminate and overlay 1 in a swoosh stripe over the other.

Not that I am suggesting mirror but this medium is out there, it is different looks great and is as easy as formica to work with.

Lots of patterns and textures to choose from google metal laminates tons of stuff comes up.

http://www.advtechnology.com/

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

Here is a link to our TIN CEILING. Hope it helps, M&C
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/search/label/Tin%20Ceiling

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up