Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 11:13:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: odd electrical question  (Read 1144 times)
napamikey

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »

Hey Guys~

I have been testing the electrical system and have some across a conundrum.
The way the system is wired is that there are two outlets that the house power hooks into, shore and generator.
The house line has an outlet which has no fuse or breaker and then a breaker box which handles all of the house 110.

When I run the generator I get power no prob to the whole bus.

When I plug into shore power I get power at the outlet which has straight power, but nothing after the breaker box.

I don't know if I explaining this well... I'm wondering what could cause the fact that the outlet can be live but the breaker box not.  Bu the way, nothing in the breaker box is shorting out since when I switch back to generator power everything works fine.

Please let me know what you think could be causing this or if there is a better way I could be explaining this.

Thanks!
Mike

1967 MCI 5a 8v71
San Francisco, CA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »

There is probably a manual or automatic load switch that isn't getting switched.  I'd check it out with a pro, or someone who knows electricity.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »

If you put your location in your profile or tag, you will have a much better chance of finding someone close by that can help.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »

Pictures may also help.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
napamikey

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »

Thanks for your comments.

I don't think there are a load switch as I manually plug and unplug from generator to shore power.  If there is a load switch, what would it look like? Very manual process,  The generator terminates at a female plug as does the cord that connects to shore power.  I then take the house (male) plug and connect that to my preferred power source.  The straight outlet is live with both sources but power after the breaker box has no power when it is plugged into the shore outlet.

I'm gunna work on it this weekend but was wondering if there are any tips on what I should look for.  I will then take some pics and post them here.

Thanks again for your insight.

1967 MCI 5a 8v71
San Francisco, CA
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:29:33 PM »

check to see if your getting power at the end of the wires (power source)in the electrical box using a volt ohm meter.  Follow each and every connection until you find where the power stops.  This is probably an easy fix.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »

I remember my old 4104 having a similar setup. If I am understanding you correctly, you have to manually plug/unplug from shor to genset power, but when you swap to shore power it (unplug the genset and plug in the shore power), then you do not get power?

If that is the case, it sounds like there is something wrong with the shore power wire or it is right and the genset wiring is bassakwards.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
napamikey

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »

"If I am understanding you correctly, you have to manually plug/unplug from shor to genset power, but when you swap to shore power it (unplug the genset and plug in the shore power), then you do not get power?"

Yes that is how I set change power connections.  The weird thing is that I have a power outlet that is split off before it hits the breaker box and that outlet works with both setups.  It's only the power after the breaker box that does not work. So that means the plugs are working alright there but there must be something different, since I am getting different results.  Is there a way to power something ok but have it wired in such a way that the breaker box can't handle it?

1967 MCI 5a 8v71
San Francisco, CA
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »

"If I am understanding you correctly, you have to manually plug/unplug from shor to genset power, but when you swap to shore power it (unplug the genset and plug in the shore power), then you do not get power?"

Yes that is how I set change power connections.  The weird thing is that I have a power outlet that is split off before it hits the breaker box and that outlet works with both setups.  It's only the power after the breaker box that does not work. So that means the plugs are working alright there but there must be something different, since I am getting different results.  Is there a way to power something ok but have it wired in such a way that the breaker box can't handle it?

It sounds like to me that there is a wire crossed. I would double check your shore power wire and double check that power plug. It may have the nuetral and ground together... and your shore power wire may be wired wrong. That would make sense as to why it works with both, but not the fuse box.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
napamikey

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »

Awesome!  Thanks.  Will check it out this weekend. 

1967 MCI 5a 8v71
San Francisco, CA
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:44 PM »

Did you fix it... how did it turn out?

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: