Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:57:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reinstalling engine in MCI  (Read 1404 times)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:19:28 AM »

I'm at last reinstalling the new engine in my bus (MC8) I used my Cat941B cherry picker to set the engine back on the rail frame that I made, and then used the come-a-long and pulled it about 1/2 way back into the bus. That was a good place to finish installing the accessories and such. Buuutttt........I'm in dere winching this 4,000 lbs back into an area that my puny body is currently occupying. So.......what from this point......I need to pull it in the last 2 feet or so. Where should I pull from at this point?
    I just cant get real happy with my friends suggestion of pushing it the rest of the way with the Cat.
Anybody BTDT and know what to do? thanks Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:10:55 AM »

Dog gonnit I had this all typed out and lost it! Stupid hotel connections! Ok Chuck several ideas here, I use the hydrolic wheel lift on the back of my tow truck to push'm in. I just put a large block of wood up on the mount where the cradle connects to the engine and push against it. I know not everyone has a tow truck, but a backhoe or forklift would do the same (I have friends who use fork lifts). But I use what I got! Now next idea would be to place a snatch block up in that tiny space where you are winching from, run it under the engine and either pull it in with the CAT or just anchor to the CAT and keep winching it! Just my ol' country boy ways! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »

I've never done one, and I don't know how much room you have, but I read that some people just roll the bus into position leaving the engine blocked at the proper elevation.

You'd probably need some shop air also.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
series60

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 06:16:44 PM »

I just pushed it in with a 4x4 resting on the truck bumper.  I think I greased up the rails first.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:00:12 PM »

I'd go with your friends suggestion. I too would push it in with the cherrypicker. Or any other easily controlled powered gizmo. The cradle has positive stops welded on the frame. As long as you go slow, have someone watching both sides while another takes a little load (skid loader?) up and it'll ease right in. It should be complete. It'll go.
The drivehsaft can be reattached with the engine in place.
Dragging it in isn't any easier on the powerplant.
I used a dolly for moving mine and it almost rolled into place....used the JD loader to finish the jpb..
Go for it!
Now for my disclaimer! Roll Eyes
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »

Jackie and I went to Chuck's home today and the very first thing I heard when I got out of the car was the beautiful sound of this 8V71TA idling.  I offered the appropriate clapping of the hands and went over to see how he's done.

What an amazing sight! Chuck has utilized every bit of diamond plate aluminum possible ( removed from the Fire Truck) and lined the engine compartment with it.  He's rebuilt the blower drive box and that new engine looks like it's sitting in a Tiffany showroom!

Great job Chuck!  We'll be looking forward to the final pic's of your project when it's finished. Now I wish I'd have taken my camera...but that wouldn't have been fair.

Talk about a dedicated BusNut...Chuck deserves an Oscar Nomination for sure!

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 07:13:30 PM »

Chuck, I used a come along to pull it in.  It slid in easy, I put a sling onto the cradle and slide it right in.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 06:05:44 AM »

I have never meant Chuck but have dealt with him a few times in addition to his awesome talets with the bus he is one really nice person, helped me out more than once , he is a credit to the bus world, as for the bus i cant even imagine one that nice. Great job chuck
Frank Alen
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »

Chuck;
I have my engine and transmission on a steel frame cart looks like a rectangle on wheels. I have the engine & transmission shimmed up higher than the rails using heavy duty wood that goes accross rectangle on under front mount the second under transmission bell housing then again around tail shaft. I roll the cart in, (I'm on pavement) then when in position over the rails I jack up the trans and remove the rear shims, then I jack up other end or engine and remove its shims. Now it is laying on the rails in position and then I hook up my "U" bolts. Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: